Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

They definitely won't work in a sim. The sim doesn't know the characteristics of the individual balls. It just knows speed

Still nothing in the mail to test :disapointed: Any other Canadian testers receive their balls yet?

Nope, nothing for me in BC either mate

got out to play 18 today
started on the back 9 since the senior members took over the whole front and those guys play slowwwwww
i played the 2 piece first and getting the alignment down was kinda a pain for me
align step back align again step back align again hahaha... i guess its cuz i never did it before
i hit my first teeshot dead straight... straight into the fw trap that i normally carry
the ball carried about 180 and to fly the trap is a good 210
played the ball down in the trap and it reacted like any other ball leaving me about 90yrds out
aligned my shot into the green and hit my 52... big draw to the left side of the green leaving me a 30 footer which i 2 putted for bogey
every tee shot after that found the fw... every single one
i was using a 13* driver and the farthest drive today didnt get past 210... it was however cart path only and the fw's were muddy so i didnt get any roll today
i noticed a lil wobble on a few teeshots with the driver and i did get it to draw a few times... guess its better than a hook
my fw woods and hybrids loved this thing
my irons were kinda off target... this ball will correct banana balls but it will not correct straight pulls/pushes and it definitely doesnt like to be duffed (lost 1 in the water)
wedges were really clicky and like the short irons went kinda too far when aligned to the greens
i flew 4 greens even when i hit the very front collar it just rolled like a champ unless i hit it sky high with a flop it would roll off the back
it did love my 60 cuz i actually got it to spin once
putting was like any other ball but it didnt feel soft

i played the front with the 3 piece and it pretty much was similar to the 2 piece but a lil better around/on the greens

both of these balls are really durable... my 60 usually chews the cover off of balls and i hit a tree/cartpaths/1 trap and a sprinkler head leaving only a lil discoloration

once i got used to how these balls reacted i basically pointed and let it rip... it takes some getting used to from inside 100... and teeshots werent going very far even when i swung out of my shoes but the ball does what its supposed to

if they could fix the distance problem this ball would be magic

i shot 44 with the two piece and 43 with the three piece

Finally got on my hotel wifi to post some testing results. I have two rounds on these so far. Yesterday I played with these following the instructions and pointing the arrow to the target after each shot. This morning I played it as a normal ball and only pointed the arrow on tee shots.

Driver: This ball definately performs as advertised. Most of my driver shots were right down the middle or had a slight fade of no more than 5 yards. I did push a few to the right with my horrible swing, but they did not slice, just straight right. I lost about 15 yards in distance when compared to the B330-RX I am playing now. I tried teeing the Polara up a bit higher and putting it more forward in my stance. This helped, but only slightly. I was still 10 yards or so behind the RX. I did not like the harder feel of this ball, but some may be willing to sacrifice that for the almost guarantee of being in the fairway. Ball flight was quite low and one drive seemed to go about 225 and then nose dive like it had topspin.

Irons/Hybrids: With the arrow pointed towards the target, this ball works equally well with irons and hybrids off the turf as it did with the driver on the tee. Straight as an arrow. The ball flight off the irons was lower than my usual, which is mid to high. During today's round I came into an interesting situation. I hit one drive in the fairway and upon arrival at the ball, the arrow was pointing right of the target by about 10 yards. I did not correct this as I was playing the ball as it lies this morning. Sure enough, I hit my approach shot about 10 yards right of the green. This might present a problem for someone playing the ball down, but won't be an issue if you follow the instructions and point the arrow before every shot. The feel off the irons and hybrids was again a bit hard for my liking.

Wedges: I thought the Polara was going to be a lot worse with the wedges than it actually was. It was hard, but I was still able to get it to spin enough where it wouldn't run off the green. The XS was only slightly softer than the 2-piece ball, but was still too hard for me. With wedges around the green it performed better than expected again. I thought it would have a ton of roll out, but to my surprise it checked nicely and rolleed out about 8 feet, where the RX from the same lie/position rolled out only 5.

Putter: I was using an Odyssey white ice putter during both rounds. The ball sounded as hard as it felt off the putter. It rolled just like a regulation ball, and I found the arrow to be helpful in lining up putts.

I gave a ball to one of my playing partners this morning who usually has a bad slice of at least 30-40 yards. Even he hit this ball straight and was able to use it for an entire round. He said he would gladly sacrifice the distance loss for the accuracy and was not bothered by the fact that these are not USGA conforming as we usually just play for fun. I am convinced that if the Polara worked for him, then anyone will be able to find the fairway with them. They won't be replacing my RX any time soon, but I could see myself using them if I was having a really bad driving day and wanted to stop losing balls in the woods.

I have another round scheduled for tomorrow morning, so I will update again afterwards.

anyone thats tested this ball and doesnt wanna play it anymore can gladly send it my way

My dad plays about twice a month and never ever practices. We grabbed a round a few days ago and I gave him the 2 layer ball to use. Everything he hit was straight. It was awesome! We played 9 holes and he never lost a ball which never happens for him. He commented that he really enjoyed playing the ball and it certainly helped him have a much better round and made the whole golfing experience much more enjoyable for him.

And this is the exact type of situation where I think these balls will really work.

I took off work a little early today and wanted to let you all know my thoughts on these, first off I actually found the results with both ball very similar, I was surprised that I liked them so much.

Driver: Most of my drives were fairly straight, which for me I'm normally not as consistent so this was certainly an improvement. I did find the sound a feel a bit more muted than normal. It also felt a little harder than normal. I'm not as in tune with my game as others but it felt as if it spun less than the balls I normally play. Also it seemed like I was about an average 10 yards less than normal.

Woods/Hybrids: I thought the ball flight with the woods and hybrids was lower than normal, but I didn't mind it since I tend to balloon a bit from time to time. But I did notice a distance loss not as much as the driver but still probably around an overage 5 yards less.

Irons: I really liked the feel of the ball with most of the irons, it felt a lot harder which I tend to like the feel of on irons, rather than a soft cover that I tend to tear the heck out of.

Wedges: I really expected that I wouldn't like the feel of these with my wedges and on the short chips and pitches I was right, it was tough to get a feel for the distance/roll. But on full shots I didn't mind the feel as much since I'm not much of a spin player.

Putter: This is where I found the ball really interesting, I use a corza ghost mallet, and found the insert reacted rally well with this ball, I think it was the harder cover with the softer insert, but my speed was much better. I had a tough time with reading greens overall, so I would think the misses were my fault.

Overall I'd say it was a mixed review, I'm hoping to take them out to a different course in the next week, as long as the weather cooperates!!!

Thanks to Polara and THP for this opportunity.

anyone thats tested this ball and doesnt wanna play it anymore can gladly send it my way

I'd be happy to send you a sleeve of both if you didn't get a chance to review them, PM me your addy!

I'd be happy to send you a sleeve of both if you didn't get a chance to review them, PM me your addy!

lol i got mine and i posted a jumbled review... but id gladly take more hahaha

I had these with me out on the course today and decided to try something different. I came across a friend who was in the middle of his first round of '11 and had only played TWICE last year. He was slicing the ball pretty bad, so I gave him an Ultimate Straight to try. First shot off the tee and he hits it DEAD STRAIGHT. The trajectory was a little low, but it found the fairway and he didn't need to take a penalty stroke (course is very tight). This obviously made him feel a little better, and continued to hit the US. His shot into the green went straight, but was just right of the green. I think his alignment is a little off, but all that matters is his own enjoyment. He hit the ball on a few more holes of the tee and went 2/3 for fairways hit. The hole he missed the fairway on he ended up pushing the tee shot. His shots were going straight, with no fade spin. These balls work as advertised. I don't really have a problem slicing the ball and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to see the technology first hand. My friend seemed pretty impressed with the ball from the tee, but didn't really like the feel when chipping. I am playing golf tomorrow with another guy who hasn't golfed in forever and may end up letting him try the Ultimate Straight to see how it works for him.

besides the distance loss off the tee with driver and the clickyness off the ball on/around the green
the only thing that kinda sucks is youre basically playing lift clean and place the whole round trying to align the thing before you hit every shot

besides the distance loss off the tee with driver and the clickyness off the ball on/around the green
the only thing that kinda sucks is youre basically playing lift clean and place the whole round trying to align the thing before you hit every shot

The distance loss is what I cannot deal with, I am old enough that I am already starting to see distance loss and cannot see myself voluntarily giving up so much distance with the driver and 3 wood, I am fairly straight anyway.

you can play the 2nd shots (irons) without lift clean place - and the ball acts like a normal ball. I think these balls really shine off the tee - where most people put the most sidespin on a ball and push it into trouble or OOB. There is less room for error on iron shots IMO. I dont usually slice a 7 iron 50 yards right i guess is what im trying to say. But if forget to start closing the driver's face at the right time and its a few degrees open - hehe see ya right rough. Especially with an inside out clubhead path - closing the face is sooo important when you correct an over the top move.

I gave the Polara a run yesterday and I just want to say that I came away very unimpressed. I use a 10.5* driver and so does my father, every time we teed off we were getting 30 yards less distance, and this was not just on one instance. I do want to give credit where credit is due though and say that the ball went straight every time! So, that part of their marketing is spot on. I just can not give up that many yards for a straighter ball when my other drives were still in play.

They were pretty nice off the irons, I was lifting and making sure they were pointing in the right direction and I would swing away, they were going straight and the distance loss was not quite as severe. I think this is where these balls really shined through. Still doesnt mean I would game them. especially for the price. It all goes back to the tee box for me and I just couldnt take that loss.

around the greens I tried to use the backspin feature and I will say that it worked, it wasnt anything that a tour ball wouldnt give you though. In fact I felt like it had noticeably less spin.

Putting is putting to me, it sure didnt feel extremely soft off the face of the club but I guess I was ok with them on the green. I still have all the balls and I plan on giving them to a buddy of mine who fights a slice to see how he likes them

I wanted to give someone else a chance to review these golf balls that didn't have a chance to the first time, I'll send a sleeve of each type to the first person that PMs me with their name and address.

Good thoughts T! It really does go straight. I'm going to have my brothers try these balls. My older brother hits a high slice that goes for miles! He would love these.

I gave the Polara a run yesterday and I just want to say that I came away very unimpressed. I use a 10.5* driver and so does my father, every time we teed off we were getting 30 yards less distance, and this was not just on one instance. I do want to give credit where credit is due though and say that the ball went straight every time! So, that part of their marketing is spot on. I just can not give up that many yards for a straighter ball when my other drives were still in play.

They were pretty nice off the irons, I was lifting and making sure they were pointing in the right direction and I would swing away, they were going straight and the distance loss was not quite as severe. I think this is where these balls really shined through. Still doesnt mean I would game them. especially for the price. It all goes back to the tee box for me and I just couldnt take that loss.

around the greens I tried to use the backspin feature and I will say that it worked, it wasnt anything that a tour ball wouldnt give you though. In fact I felt like it had noticeably less spin.

Putting is putting to me, it sure didnt feel extremely soft off the face of the club but I guess I was ok with them on the green. I still have all the balls and I plan on giving them to a buddy of mine who fights a slice to see how he likes them

Good thoughts T! It really does go straight. I'm going to have my brothers try these balls. My older brother hits a high slice that goes for miles! He would love these.

as long as he still gets it to go somewhere...thats where I was truly disappointed

And this is the exact type of situation where I think these balls will really work.

Same with my Dad. There is definately a market for these balls, just don't think it's been available to most up to this point. My Dad and his buddies by whatever value pack of balls they can find at Target or WalMart. They don't shop at Dick's or Golf Galaxy although I haven't seen the Polara's there either. I think Polara has a winner with these balls if they can get them in the hands of the players that would really benefit from using them.

Polara has a spokesperson in me. I will let every casual golfer I play with that struggles to keep a ball on the course know about Polara golf balls and my experience with them. Truth in advertising. That's almost crazy talk these days but Polara is right on with their claims about reducing hooks and slices.

This is exactly the same results I found last Sunday. Terrible off the driver distance wise but it did go straight. Ok with the irons. Lots of roll out with wedges and hard as a top flite rock off the putter.

That's what I'm hoping to see. He is a big dude who happens to hit it for miles when he makes a good swing.

as long as he still gets it to go somewhere...thats where I was truly disappointed

I don't mind that it's shorter off the tee for me really.. I can't stand the fact that I cannot get the 2 piece ball to spin AT ALL. Every single time I hit it on a green it flies off. That's really not acceptable for me. I'll do only testing with the XS in the next couple of days, but I can't use the 2 piece anymore. Most of the balls are going to be given to my father, who really needs help to limit his crazy high slice.

I just have to say that it was extremely refreshing to pull out a Callaway i(S) and have it hit the green and just hit the brakes. Not to mention the fact that I hit it very long as well.

I took these to the course yesterday, and came back unimpressed.

Off the tee, they are still very straight, though I am not sure that really helped me today. I hit most of the fairways when I was using a Nike ONE, and saw no noticible difference when I switched. My friend used them for a few holes, however, and he was extremely impressed. He has a terrible slice, and it almost completly corrected it. Also, these things roll A LOT. I had 50 yards of roll UPHILL on one hole. However, they were fairly short in carry numbers.

Off of the irons, they still match the ONE's in distance, however, they were very hard and unpleasant to hit. My blade wedge was almost painful to hit if you missed the sweetspot. They get high off of the irons and land fairly softly, but I wasn't putting any crazy spin on them.

Around the greens, well, they performed like a distance ball. Lots of runout, but I know how to compensate, and had no real problems here. They are very hot off of the putter, and I did have to adjust a bit. However, there were no unexpected problems here.

All in all, if you struggle with a slice, and don't have a lot of forced carrys to contend with, buy some of these. They do their job. However, they are not for me. The feel is not there, the spin is not what I would like it to be, and I prefer carry to roll any day of the week. I could see these being great for a casual golfer, but I am trying to seriously improve my game, and I believe these would cause me to become complacent, allowing me to rely on the technology instead of sound mechanics.

imo this ball is short off the tee with driver/woods but is longer with irons and wedges
there were only a few times where i actually reached the 150 marker off the tee with my driver when normally im a lil past it
they were a club and a half longer off the irons/wedges for me and i flew way too many greens from inside 150
a few hit the very front of the green and ran off the back... others just sailed over
these babies are durable... i mean not even a scratch
it will correct a hook/slice but it doesnt work when you push/pull chunk/thin
and it dang sure doesnt swim/float

I agree, this ball is very very straight but just doesnt go very far with the driver. I gave a few to my dads friend to try out so ill report back after he plays with them, he struggles to keep it in the fairway and only hits probably 2-3 fairways a round so it will be a great test.

I'm really sorry THP! this has been the first time I've been on in a week and problems with a geometry grade have kind of got me focusing on school more than golf. But, I'm back on the computer full time after a good test score and I'm taking the balls out finally for a run tomorrow. I'm so sorry for my lack of performance on the testing, and even if it's late I still planning on giving the best review possible! so sorry, gbi.

Back