Cleveland CG Wedges

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I am going to order a new wedge today and wanted a little input from everyone. I've not really done extensive testing with wedges, but have read all the info on THP from OEM Kevin's testing. My favorite and most used iron in the bag is my old CG14 56*, but its getting a bit rough and time to replace. I'm still not as comfortable with my CG15 52* & 60*, but not sure if thats just a loft issue or the weighting, look at address, or possibly the type of bottom grind.

Does anyone else see this, or have input they can give on these? I'm not adverse to trying another brand at this point, but Cleveland has sure been good to my short game at this point. I will likely go with the spinner shaft in what ever I go with if possible.

Duey,
If you preferred the CG14 to the CG15s, I strongly recommend checking out the CG16s. They are more of an evolution of the 14s where as the 15s were an evolution of the 12s.

Try them out Duey. CG16's and I would venture over to the Mizzy MPT11 since a lot of folks on here love them (former Cleveland wedge guys as well) plus they come with the spinner shaft already.

Duey,
If you preferred the CG14 to the CG15s, I strongly recommend checking out the CG16s. They are more of an evolution of the 14s where as the 15s were an evolution of the 12s.

Now that you say that I remember you mentioned that before. I'll try to test those out today JB, thanks. Out of curiosity, did you prefer the Cg14/16's to the CG15's?

Try them out Duey. CG16's and I would venture over to the Mizzy MPT11 since a lot of folks on here love them (former Cleveland wedge guys as well) plus they come with the spinner shaft already.

I tried the MPT11's at the fall outing and they just were not for me. I did not the CG16's some, but not enough to really compare.

and weren't the 12's a progression of the 588's? or am I mixing that up?
Duey,

I'd definitely check out the CG16s Duey, I was a big fan of them at the Outing. If you are interested in looking elsewhere, the TM xFTs are sweet too. They won me over and the Spinner shafts I put in mine seem to be working well so far.

Now that you say that I remember you mentioned that before. I'll try to test those out today JB, thanks. Out of curiosity, did you prefer the Cg14/16's to the CG15's?

I preferred the 15s to the others Duey and like you prefer these wedges to the MP-T11s

and weren't the 12's a progression of the 588's? or am I mixing that up?

Yes in many ways.

I'd definitely check out the CG16s Duey, I was a big fan of them at the Outing. If you are interested in looking elsewhere, the TM xFTs are sweet too. They won me over and the Spinner shafts I put in mine seem to be working well so far.

I was going to order something, but you guys have me convinced to go do a little testing. It's 60 miles round trip, but real life action is the way to go. I'll let you know what wins out.

keep us posted Duey....this could be a good thing for ya!
I was going to order something, but you guys have me convinced to go do a little testing. It's 60 miles round trip, but real life action is the way to go. I'll let you know what wins out.

Just a quick update, but not a lot to report. The courses are really just getting going here, so selection sucks at this point. I made it to Grand Island, NE for a mini shoot out of my own and the Golf USA there had some Adams, MPT10's and a few assorted Titleist wedges, but no TM xFT, Callaway, MPT11, or anything Cleveland. This store has a fantastic hitting room with a monster screen and great read-outs, but selection is always a problem.

From there I drove across town to a course I like to play on occasion. The range there is set up very nice and they have really nice putting, chipping greens. Thankfully they had the Calloway Jaws, TM xFT, MPT11 and Titleist wedges. These were all new, so the manager would only let me pick out the two I was most likely to buy and he gave me 10 balls to hit, haha. I picked out the xFT and MPT11, which he taped up for me and gradding my own CG14 to compare with headed to the practice green.

To make a long story short, I really enjoyed the xFT a lot. Starting off with a side hill lie, I switched back and forth hitting soft lob shots, then aggressive spin shots, then backing off behind a hump I started hitting short high lob shots. All three did a great job, but I found I could control the xFT a bit easier and land the ball a bit softer on command. I actually made one of the lob shots with the xFT and several others were within inches. From there I went to the range and hit a couple of the balls with my CG14 to zero in then switched back and forth with the other two. All three did a great job, but the MPT11 seemed to give me a little trouble cutting through the turf, where the CG14 and xFT just felt smooth and controlled. Nice even divots, I could feel the blade all the way through the swing and the ball stayed on line with each shot. For some reason I pulled several of the shots with the MPT11.

In the end I decided not to make a selection yet. 10 balls and only two wedges to pick from was no real test. I'll look for a place that offers the CG16 to test out and I'd still like to get out with the Jaw's OEM liked so much. My current CG14 is doing ok for now, so times on my side.

Last edited:
You stated that your CG 14 56* is your favorite club in your bag. Why not just buy a new one? You'd get a club you're already very comfortable with AND old grooves.
I love the CG 14, and if it ain't broke...

You stated that your CG 14 56* is your favorite club in your bag. Why not just buy a new one? You'd get a club you're already very comfortable with AND old grooves.
I love the CG 14, and if it ain't broke...

What fun is that? Lol. I hear you, but one of the great things about THP is hearing about a lot of different products and frankly, until now, I'd only tried a very few brands.

I'm pretty interested in what I'll find in the Jaw's, scratch, Titleist and several other brands. I very well may end up back to my CG14, but I'll know what I'm missing or not missing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Hey due, have you tried the Arc wedges? Also, the Nike VR forged, taylormade Z-TP, and Bridgestone WC wedges can all be had for a lick. Theyre all pretty good wedges too!

Hehehe. Believe me I understand. Have fun with the search for your new wedge.

Hey due, have you tried the Arc wedges? Also, the Nike VR forged, taylormade Z-TP, and Bridgestone WC wedges can all be had for a lick. Theyre all pretty good wedges too!

None of those yet Thain. I kind of doubt I'll be able to test all of them around here, but will keep those in mind. I want to test on the course, so will have to just hit different courses that have what I'm interested in and do it over time.

It's all fun.

The Jaws is awesome, i have had it in the bag since last year and its crazy good for my game.

The Jaws is awesome, i have had it in the bag since last year and its crazy good for my game.

That's what I've heard on here from several people. I'll be sure to give it a try.

Back