A Thank You & Promise Timeline

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have wanted to write this for a while and keep stumbling over my own words. So forgive me for the longwinded post up front, but I am someone that believes strongly in the people here and when something is on my mind, I like to share it.

In 2008, a few of us got together and started this little golf site. It featured a forum of about 40 people and a home page filled with some early stages of reviews and articles from companies that believed in what we stood for. THP stood for honesty, integrity, hard work and a golf lifestyle centered around a community of people that cared for one another. It started one day while GG was at work and when she came home I said to her "we now own a golf website". It was not much back then and more of a place to chat about the game and talk about the game we love. I was committed to bringing more to the table on principles that we share throughout every day life.

We heard it all back then. You are too small. You are just like all the others. You will never make it. And slowly but surely doing the right thing, THP grew and grew and when we held our charity raffle to help the Special Olympics and the Humane Society, THP started to grow faster. We were on national radio shows such as ESPN, the Howard Stern Network, and more. But it was never about that and always was to be about the people here.

We made bold promises in the beginning such as the biggest PGA Show coverage ever done, an annual golf outing and thousands of readers coming together for friendly conversation rather than argumentative conversations that lead to no where. Healthy debates good...Name calling and personal attacks bad.

We said we wanted to name our site The Hackers Paradise and they said nobody wants their stuff associated with hackers.
We said we would create a print magazine and they laughed at us and THP the Magazine was born.
We said we were going to have podcasts and were told that is a waste of time and THP Radio was born.
We said we were going to have an annual golf outing filled with forum members coming together to play golf and people said it was a waste of time and money and nobody would want to do that.
We said we wanted to test equipment and then give it away to our forum members and they said "that is crazy" and since then we have given away everything imaginable.
We said we wanted to have the only demo day in the world with tons of companies coming together and not allow sales reps and we were told that it could never be done.
We said we wanted to start bringing everyday golfers from our forum into club testing and continue with our one belief of absolute honesty in reviews and they said "no way, they arent writers or experts" and then forum testing began.
Then we came up with the idea to have our forum members compete in a golf competition and have them sponsored like tour pros with equipment and apparel deals and some literally laughed and said "please, that is a pipe dream". The Morgan Cup officially arrived 3 months later.

Do you see the trend here? We believe that the golf lifestyle incorporates well to every day walks of life. Hard work, honesty, ethics and everything else about this wonderful game can bring people closer together.

Our goal is simple, create a community that we would want to be a part of, and others will enjoy it as well. But that is where our work stops in many ways when it comes to the THP community being what it is. The people here are what makes this place the incredible work deterrent that it is. Each and every person here makes this place more enjoyable every day that we are here and each day more and more people find this place and we thank you for that.

Without the people coming to the forum, we could not do things such as our demo day, golf outing, Morgan Cup and so many others. It is you that deserve the thank you and we do not get a chance to say it enough.

Each year we have "warned" you guys and said "You ain't seen nuthin yet!" and when we said it last year, you guys all chuckled a bit and I think we have changed that "chuckle" to an "OMG" with a few announcements with equipment testing and the Morgan Cup taking place. We warned people with the Morgan Cup that it would make jaws drop and I think we delivered that part at least, despite not being able to do it for every single forum member that we have.

You keep coming here and making this the best community on the internet and we will keep trying our best to outdo ourselves with things for the active people here. All I can tell you is this...

YOU AIN'T SEEN NUTHIN YET! And I mean that 100%.

Thanks JB...brought a tear to my eye :crying:

Congratulations to you and GG and everyone at THP for what you have achieved. Keep up the good work!

Great post JB. This place is super special to me and a lot of people on here as well. Without THP I would be bored, somewhat lazy, and just craving golf and going insane. You GG and all of the staff are what makes this so great, we all appreciate it every single day we hop onto this forum.

At first when this forum started I was so pleased with how small it was, and how compact and almost private it was because not many people knew about it. I wanted it to stay that way for good, I always thought as soon as this site get's big, people are going to take advantage of it perhaps, or even the feeling of a small bonded online family wouldn't take place. I was proven wrong. With thousands of members we are still a close THP family. This place still feels sacred and like my own little secret from the real world.

I can't wait for more to come and am looking forward to the adventures ahead. THANK YOU!!!

I am like the online homeless person and you guys have given me a place to stay.

It's inconceivable to me that you could do more than you already have, but I know you and you are NEVER satisfied. It's about us, but it's about your (you two) incredible drive, selfless work ethic, and extreme generosity too. I am proud every day to be able to say I'm part of THP. This place is as much my indentity as anything else I do.

It's great that you guys care enough about the game and all of your members to have us involved in everything that you do. I would like to say thank y'all very much for this great forum and the unvelievable contests and testing that you provide. You are truly a one of a kind business that truly cares about it's members!

Thanks JB, prod to say I'm a THP'er!

JB: thanks for sharing some history for some of us noobies. I joined a month ago and have been welcomed with open arms from my first post and have even had the opportunity to test 2 different products. When I tell golfing friends about the site, they are absolutely shocked that something like this even exists with the testing in place, various contests, and amazing events such as the Kingdom Experience and Morgan Cup. I spend way more time on the site than I should and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Thanks to EVERYONE behind the scenes that do so much to make this such an AMAZING place to gather with fellow golfers!!

epic post JB! I cam to THP because I was looking for information and thoughts on a new driver. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I went away for a few months but then during the end of winter last year I started spending more and more time on the site. I got involved in some great conversations which eventually led me to the outing last Sept. That was one of the best weekends of my life. Over the past year+ I have gained many friends who I have played golf with through this site. I love the get togethers that are planned, I love the testing(which I have been able to play a role in), and I love the camaraderie. JB and GolferGal are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met and deserve tons of praise for what THP has become.

Great post JB, I know I have only been here a short time but its been one of the most enjoyable months for me in a long time. You and GG have created something truly special here and I can say for sure that you guys will alway have my support and Im sure the support of hundreds more. I know you say it is us that makes this place what it is but for us to do that we must have an outstanding platform to stand on and that is what you have given us.

I have seen first hand how much work JB and GG put into this site. We only see about 1% of what they do every day and, now that I know both of them personally, I am not surprised at all that this site has become the true paradise that it has become. I, for one, thank both of you for all of your very hard work.

Very well said and it is amazing how this place has grown. It never ceases to amaze me what stuff you and GG can come up with and make it accessible to the reader's level. Personally I can't wait for what the future holds because it's always something that makes you say WOW! It is a true community and for that I am thankful to be a member of such a place. Cheers!

It's outrageous, ridiculous, incredible, magnificent, stupendous, breath-taking what you've accomplished in so short a period of time. No doubt due to monumental effort and focus. The opportunities made available to the members here would be beyond belief if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Thank you! Can't wait to see what's next!!!!

I got involved in some great conversations which eventually led me to the outing last Sept. That was one of the best weekends of my life.

Dude, we are tied to you forever whether you like us or not. You got engaged at a THP Outing!

I lurked at other golf sites..... full of braggarts and a$$es. This place has always been different, people here treat you well no matter what your handicap is.

Well said JB and thank you and GG for creating a welcoming forum for all of us Hackers. This place is part of many of our daily lives and has led to special friendships for nearly everyone involved. I can't wait to see what the future holds for THP and the wonderful members of this hacker's paradise!

Wonderful post JB! Having been around you (literally and figuratively) I can attest to the passion and drive that goes into making THP what it is today...an experience like no other. I'm proud to say I was one of the OG's (not Old Grays) at the first ever Outing where no one knew what the heck would happen or who the heck would show up. Since then I've met some good friends and have continued to meet some good and crazy people here which is a testament to the types of people that are on THP. The real question is... where is the ceiling for THP and when does THP break through it? I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for THP and its members.

:friends:

Dude, we are tied to you forever whether you like us or not. You got engaged at a THP Outing!

you are right! I guess that was a THP first! You and GG knew before many family members knew. It was a great end to a great weekend.

Awesome post. Ive been on this site for a little under 2 years now and I think Ive seen almost all these things come to pass. I have no doubt that somehow things will continue to get even better. And that just blows my mind. I cant wait to see what else is coming and to be a part of it all.

Great post JB. You had a vision and continue to build upon that vision. I can honestly say that this is a community unlike any other and I am sure many would agree. I don't tend to pay attention to many forum type websites but the community of people you have brought together is fantastic. You then give the average person the chance to participate in many promotions and that is more than anyone could ever hope for.

Well done to you and the rest of THP staff and look forward to being a continued member of this community.

Great post, JB. I'm so glad I found this website as the members here have been most helpful with advice and opinions. THP is the only source I go to for trusted reviews and golf news. Every time someone has said THP is wrong about some bit of golf news, it has been proven otherwise. Hopefully some day I will make it to an outing, but until then I will enjoy my time with all of you right here.

And I can't wait to see what you have cooking up next :popcorn:

Great post JB and heartfelt as always. I cringe to think of what you may mean with the last sentence.

Proud to be associated with this great forum and the wonderful people behind it as well as all of the forum members. I've found a home!

Great post JB, you and GG's attitude towards the game and life in general make this site what it is. The members that join up want to be part of that. You care about the game and you want to share that passion with everyone and it's infectious. I've never been part of a forum before and I've never met anyone here ( I will someday, hopefully sooner rather than later) but I look forward to seeing different forums members names and their post, even though I may not post as much as others, they're more than ready to offer advice and or answer questions.

Bravo JB!!

The true thanks need to go back in the direction of Windermere though. Obviously a community cannot be built without the users, but the vision and tenacity that you describe is due mainly to the two of you.

It has been truely impressive to see the growth of the site and community over the past 10-12 months. When I decided to drive 10 hours to attend the spring gathering last year, I (and my wife to be honest) thought I was crazy and it was completely out of character for me. In those couple of days though, we could feel that our leap of faith was well deserved and that we were getting in on the ground floor of something wonderful.

Everything you all do for us is great and just the amount of thought you all put into each move is staggering. You are both very skilled at thinking out every minute detail even if we don't notice - which is the best indication that it is happening.

All of the items that you were told you couldn't do and then pulled off show that there was a market for something different beyond everything that was out there before. I for one didn't even know what I was looking for when I joined this site. I do know what I have found though...a Golf Family.

I am somewhat new here, but I have to say that I look forward to visiting this site each and every day. I love golf, (sometimes to the detrement to other parts of my life), as most if not all of the members here do. Thanks JB, GG, and everyone involved in THP for giving us golf addicts a great place to share our lifestyle. I look forward to becoming a more involved member.

Great job JB! This place has been home for me for what seems like a long time. I can't imagine not being a part of THP even when I'm in that disapointment mode.

Congrats on all you have accomplished and what's yet to be of THP!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Back