Cleveland 588 Wedges

How is the weighting of these compared to the CG-15's and 16's? I would think maybe a little robust in comparsion which I think is good so you can feel the club through the swing, help move the club head through the ball, etc. I definitely like the compactness of these, would make you focus more I think? I know that's a feature I like with the Mizuno line a lot.
In pictures you are correct. I think my CG15s (which I freaking love) are similar looking, but hold them both in your hand and the look is quite different.

How is the weighting of these compared to the CG-15's and 16's? I would think maybe a little robust in comparsion which I think is good so you can feel the club through the swing, help move the club head through the ball, etc. I definitely like the compactness of these, would make you focus more I think? I know that's a feature I like with the Mizuno line a lot.

The weighting is just perfect is the only way to describe it for me. Enough weight to feel through the swing, without being head heavy.

It's very similar to the MPT-11's hanks, as far as the weighting/style goes, it just seems to be a bit more versatile though. I think a lot of it has to do with the leading edge and the difference in the bounce designs.

This is my favorite club in my bag. I've bought several wedges and nothing can beat the 588. So much symmetry with the weighting of this club, it feels more balanced than any other in terms of the 6 to 9 swing almost as if the club could complete the arc without me manipulating it. The blunted leading as others have mentioned refuses a sharp digging action to me.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Can someone post pictures of this leading edge that is garnering so much attention? I'm not quite sure what you guys are referring to.

Can someone post pictures of this leading edge that is garnering so much attention? I'm not quite sure what you guys are referring to.

You can see part of it on an earlier page in this thread from a WITB Stenson picture.

I think it would be interesting to see this wedge at the demo day and compare it to the latest and greatest. I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised as to how well this wedge stacks up to the competition.

I'm heading my local GG and if there's any of these wedges in the bin I'll grab it/them and will bring them down....if JB doesn't confiscate them first lol

I think it would be interesting to see this wedge at the demo day and compare it to the latest and greatest. I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised as to how well this wedge stacks up to the competition.

I'm heading my local GG and if there's any of these wedges in the bin I'll grab it/them and will bring them down....if JB doesn't confiscate them first lol

I dont think any company would be all that thrilled with equipment that cannot be purchased being out there. Remember it is about demoing equipment that is the latest and the greatest. If someone wants to go out on the course afterwards and compare, that should be no problem, but equipment from years ago, is really not part of the THP demo day.

I was looking online for lefty 588's last night and found a few but none are in good enough shape for me to pull the trigger on. I'm sure if there was an almost new one out there it would be pricey but worth the money.

you're right, my bad. Sorry I got ahead of myself and didn't think how they wouldn't fit into the Demo Day
I dont think any company would be all that thrilled with equipment that cannot be purchased being out there. Remember it is about demoing equipment that is the latest and the greatest. If someone wants to go out on the course afterwards and compare, that should be no problem, but equipment from years ago, is really not part of the THP demo day.

588 best wedge I ever used. Had a 56* and somehow disappeared from my bag.

Strangely enough my son-in-law now has one.

I completely understand that view

Maybe Cleveland can release them again and we can get them at the 2012 Demo Day :)

I have come to the realization that I must have these...hehe

Are the European mentioned earlier the same wedge?

Mines getting a face lift before the outting...coloriffic

Indeed, seek and you shall find.

Have you ever heard any feedback from Cleveland on the idea of ever reintroducing these? Im curious to hear their reasoning about not wanting to bring back an icon that there is so much desire for if that is the case.

I don't think this is the case but if any co. were to do this, it could be an indirect way of saying all the new stuff that we've released isn't as good as this after all. or it could just get confusing for the consumer to see multiple wedge offerings from a co.
Have you ever heard any feedback from Cleveland on the idea of ever reintroducing these? Im curious to hear their reasoning about not wanting to bring back an icon that there is so much desire for if that is the case.

But a special order feature would be fantastic, perhaps online. I would do many things for one in a satin finish or heck even black pearl.

I don't think this is the case but if any co. were to do this, it could be an indirect way of saying all the new stuff that we've released isn't as good as this after all. or it could just get confusing for the consumer to see multiple wedge offerings from a co.

To be honest, I have not really sought out the info. But I would love to see it of course.

But a special order feature would be fantastic, perhaps online. I would do many things for one in a satin finish or heck even black pearl.

That would be a great idea, then they could still have a way to put these on the market without sacrificing the credibility of their new products.

PGA SS better have some of these used. It's almost go time!

i have one of these in the basement i still use from time to time. there is no real weakness to the wedge. it feels similar to vokey's, maybe a hair softer even. the thing with cleveland wedges, is that some people really like the look of the head, but others think it is too round. i prefer the more squared off designs, and the newer grinds used that the classic 588 does not have. but with that being said it was a good classic wedge.

Back