Joined New England Amateur Tour

Thanks Duey and CB! I'm really pumped...especially after such a long winter...there's still a ton of snow on the ground but I'm sure it'll be gone by April. :)

This definatley sounds like it will be a great time. Im actually a little envious of you right now, well man enjoy yourself out there and keep us up to date on your progress. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

This definatley sounds like it will be a great time. Im actually a little envious of you right now, well man enjoy yourself out there and keep us up to date on your progress. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Thanks Hole Out. I will. I usually play muni's so this will be a new experience for me.

Well I picked up a GolfLogix GPS-8 for little money. It only shows numbers, no maps of the holes, but it's easy to use and the numbers are large so I won't have to worry about glasses. I'll also be able to measure the length of my shots.

I've been studying the mapping of each hole for the first tournament (TPC Boston). Yeah, I guess I'm a bit obsessed, but forgive me, I haven't played golf since last November! I'm hoping to get out Thursday...IF the weather cooperates (their calling for rain right now). I've been hitting balls on the range, but as you all know that's not the same thing as playing. The slope from the tees we'll be playing from is 142, so I'd like to get in some real golf first. I've never played a course that difficult.

Cool! Good luck and thanks for the info!

Had my first tournament last Monday at TPC Boston. It was in the 40s to start and in the 50s at the end. It was very windy. The tees we played from were rated 73.3/142. There were 69 golfers participating. I shot a 96. It is a great golf course.

• In the gross I finished tied for 39th.
• In the net I finished tied for 27th.
• In the stableford I finished tied for 33rd.
• In the senior gross I finished tied for 15th.
• In the senior net I finished tied for 11th.

I had 28 putts. What hurt me was a bad case of the hooks. I had trouble keeping the ball in play. On the plus side I played the same Bridgestone e6 the entire round.

My next tournament is at Kittansett this coming Monday. I've been working on curing the hooks, but so far the hooks are winning.

Thanks for updating sean! Can't wait to hear how the next one goes!! This thread gave me the idea to do the same this summer when I play the JPGA tour for my section! Keep up the good play!

Thanks for updating sean! Can't wait to hear how the next one goes!! This thread gave me the idea to do the same this summer when I play the JPGA tour for my section! Keep up the good play!
Thanks BD...if I can just get rid of the hooks!

Good luck to you too! :)

Had my first tournament last Monday at TPC Boston. It was in the 40s to start and in the 50s at the end. It was very windy. The tees we played from were rated 73.3/142. There were 69 golfers participating. I shot a 96. It is a great golf course.

I had 28 putts. What hurt me was a bad case of the hooks. I had trouble keeping the ball in play. On the plus side I played the same Bridgestone e6 the entire round.

My next tournament is at Kittansett this coming Monday. I've been working on curing the hooks, but so far the hooks are winning.

I love competitive tournament golf. I usually play at least 5 shots worse than I normally would for some reason but that doesn't stop me. Good luck.

Thanks PJ. I usually shoot better, but lately I've been hooking the ball. It's frustrating, but it won't stop me from playing. lol

good stuff Sean! Which yardage did you guys play there? Did you get a chance to run in to Arydolphin? I think he was playing in that tournament as well.

I sounds like you had a good time even with the hooks. And that's the main thing after all.

If the courses are nice, the company is good and you enjoy the competition you are a winner all around.

Was it expensive to play? You mentioned a $100 fee to join; how about green fees?

good stuff Sean! Which yardage did you guys play there? Did you get a chance to run in to Arydolphin? I think he was playing in that tournament as well.
DD I did run into Ary. We was teeing off three groups ahead of me so we didn't get a chance to speak for very long, but he struck me as a very nice fellow. We are hoping to get together and play some golf very soon. I look forward to it. He was the first member of THP I've ever met AND he's a Morgan Cup player!

We played from the black tees, which were about 6400 yards. The slope was 142 from that yardage, but I thought the course was very fair. It wasn't the course's fault I kept hooking the ball. lol

DD I did run into Ary. We was teeing off three groups ahead of me so we didn't get a chance to speak for very long, but he struck me as a very nice fellow. We are hoping to get together and play some golf very soon. I look forward to it. He was the first member of THP I've ever met AND he's a Morgan Cup player!

We played from the black tees, which were about 6400 yards. The slope was 142 from that yardage, but I thought the course was very fair. It wasn't the course's fault I kept hooking the ball. lol

sounds like it was a good day then, minus the hooks. Keep at it man, I'm sure you'll see some success out there. Keeps us up to date with your results.

sounds like it was a good day then, minus the hooks. Keep at it man, I'm sure you'll see some success out there. Keeps us up to date with your results.
It was a good day on a great course. I walked away with 28 putts, so I felt good about that. Thanks for the good wishes and I'll let you know what happens Monday...good, bad or indifferent.

Sean's a nice guy to say that stuff about me. I didn't even pay him to say it! Anyways, the course was 6400 yards or so, but the greens were FAST. They were probably running around 11 or so, I can't imagine how quick they get during the summer. I shot 93, complete with quad-bogeys on 17 and 18, which really ticked me off. TPC Boston is a wonderful course, and I'd love to get back out there sometime in the future.

I may play another tournament in this series on May 2 if my work schedule works out. The next event that I'm definitely committed to is on May 23 at the Essex Country Club, which hosted the Curtis Cup last year (Ryder Cup style tournament for amateur females, their equivalent of the Walker Cup).

I sounds like you had a good time even with the hooks. And that's the main thing after all.

If the courses are nice, the company is good and you enjoy the competition you are a winner all around.

Was it expensive to play? You mentioned a $100 fee to join; how about green fees?
They also gave us a dozen NXT Tours, a hat, a golf book, a discount card to play a bunch of courses, and a rules book. The greens fees vary from course to course. TPC Boston was $125. That included cart and range balls. What was really nice was they spaced us out at nice intervals. We didn't have to wait to play any hole or shot. There were no place of play issues. It was very relaxing.

Sean's a nice guy to say that stuff about me. I didn't even pay him to say it! Anyways, the course was 6400 yards or so, but the greens were FAST. They were probably running around 11 or so, I can't imagine how quick they get during the summer. I shot 93, complete with quad-bogeys on 17 and 18, which really ticked me off. TPC Boston is a wonderful course, and I'd love to get back out there sometime in the future.

I may play another tournament in this series on May 2 if my work schedule works out. The next event that I'm definitely committed to is on May 23 at the Essex Country Club, which hosted the Curtis Cup last year (Ryder Cup style tournament for amateur females, their equivalent of the Walker Cup).
I only call as I see it Ary. :)

I saw part of the Curtis Cup on TV last year. Looks like a great course. I too would like to give TPC Boston another try. You take those two scores away Ary and you played TPC very well.

This will be a tremendous mental workout, would be for me anyway. You will come out a better player for it, good luck.

Not sure if the cost varies much from tour to tour on the Golfweek but here in Texas we pay around $100 membership fee for the season and the green fees per tournament are usually $30 to $50 above what you would normally pay to play that same golf course with a regular tee time. Most tournament green fees are kept at or under $100 with a few slightly over and there are some two day events that are double that. The additional money over and above the green fee gives the organizer a profit so they can afford to have someone help with the setup and to maintain stats on the players and also allows funding of prizes and buying trophies or whatever. One of the benefits for me of playing an organized event like this is that I would probably not bother to drive 60 miles to play a golf course just as a casual round but I will drive for 2 hours to get to one of these events. I get out onto golf courses I wouldn't normally think much about playing because of the time involved.

I've only attended one event PJ, but it was very well run.

Back