Titleist 910 Vs. Taylormade R11

The Titleist has two independant adjustments in the hosel that make up its 16 settings. So you can change the loft without changing it to open or close the face .The taylormade (I believe since I dont have one sitting in front of me) has 8 settings that all involve opening or closing the face. the two weights make up the other adjustments and then the little red jewel on the bottom is the rest. That IN MY OPINION is inferior to the what titleist has done. But mainly to me when I can get a D2 with a RIP shaft for 400 bucks or a R11 with the blur. If the cubheads are about equal Im going with the D2. Just my preference.

I got the Cobra Irons because I loved the VS proto shaft in the 2008 cobra fp. I didnt like these as well and sold them yesterday. Looking at either the RAZR or taylormade CB's the S2's were superforgiving though. Good clubhead for max game improvement. Too prone to hooking for me.

You may want to mess with that R11 adjustability a little more to see what it has to offer. I will leave that at that. You did not really address my other questions, so I will leave it alone, but I will leave you with this. Its clear that it is more about brand preference and I say have at it if that is the way you feel. I have no issues with people that do not like certain brands, its their choice. I would not go as far as saying they are of less quality based on teh argument that you used about an inferior shaft when many are doing the exact same thing, but that is just me. Just for info, the Cleveland driver has a better shaft for MANY than the Titleist and costs $100 less, I suppose it should be the clear winner. :act-up:

I did not like the Blur at first. But as I got used to the club (as used to it as you can at the PGA) I found it to really be a good option. Not the best for me but I still will go with a Blur TP (for the lower torque). It's really a good shaft if it fits your swing.

Count me in as one of the few who used to think stock shafts were junk. But the Dymo really helped my line of thinking. I still have that misconception at times but it's all about putting a club in your hand and hitting it.

Man, the Blur shaft is taking a beating here. It seems some of you have heard it sucks so intern it must suck, right? The blanket statement that the Blur is inferior to me is rediculous. There are plenty of golfers out there that the Blur would test out best for in a fitting session. Just because a shaft is better for Person A, and is more expensive and "cooler", doesnt mean it is best for everyone.

So? Does that make it true?

I dunno. I look at what lengths and costs some companies go to push the envelope and others simply dont. I mean look at pings first cavaty back irons. were those technologicly superior to anything out there? Yeah obviously they were. Were al the tour guys using them? No. some of the first metal woods with graphite shafts. were those superior? Look at the first oversised headed drivers? Were those superior? did everyone on tour use them? No

Not every club is equal. It cant be. Someone out there is using inferior equipment. Period :D

I dunno. I look at what lengths and costs some companies go to push the envelope and others simply dont. I mean look at pings first cavaty back irons. were those technologicly superior to anything out there? Yeah obviously they were. Were al the tour guys using them? No. some of the first metal woods with graphite shafts. were those superior? Look at the first oversised headed drivers? Were those superior? did everyone on tour use them? No

Not every club is equal. It cant be. Someone out there is using inferior equipment. Period :D

By that logic, I would think that the most used items on tour must be teh best right? I dont buy that for a second.

I did not like the Blur at first. But as I got used to the club (as used to it as you can at the PGA) I found it to really be a good option. Not the best for me but I still will go with a Blur TP (for the lower torque). It's really a good shaft if it fits your swing.

Count me in as one of the few who used to think stock shafts were junk. But the Dymo really helped my line of thinking. I still have that misconception at times but it's all about putting a club in your hand and hitting it.

I am not even saying I am pro BLUR. I am just saying that a person who says the BLUR sucks for everyone and is totally inferior, and the RIP is great for everyone and is totally superior is really closed minded.

No its not. It has been said by many. Ease off a bit, everybody has the right to their opinion, and while yours is pro one company, it is clear that others are pro another. As long as a debate is healthy and does not lead to attacks, there is no reason one cannot be had.

I have never once said that Lester was wrong for thinking that the R11 was inferior. I just said that he is wrong for thinking that the blur is universally inferior to the RIP. I am trying to get a good reason why he thinks one is better than the other. I feel like he hasn't given one yet.

I may be pro Taylormade, because I like how their product fits me and my swing. I do not hold the belief that Taylormade makes the best equipment for everybody.

You may want to mess with that R11 adjustability a little more to see what it has to offer. I will leave that at that. You did not really address my other questions, so I will leave it alone, but I will leave you with this. Its clear that it is more about brand preference and I say have at it if that is the way you feel. I have no issues with people that do not like certain brands, its their choice. I would not go as far as saying they are of less quality based on teh argument that you used about an inferior shaft when many are doing the exact same thing, but that is just me. Just for info, the Cleveland driver has a better shaft for MANY than the Titleist and costs $100 less, I suppose it should be the clear winner. :act-up:
I didnt come here to "bury" taylormade. I said I think the D2 is slightly better and listed why. Thats all. Id be curious to see if a large group of people hit both how many would agree. Id bet a significant amount. I like Calaways new add campaign. Performance over Paint. Again I do get the biggest kick out of the sole plate so they could claim 48 different settings. Taylormade has a good thing going with t he white heads and their marketing is kicking ass. Everytime a tour player hits an R11 you can see it plain as day. Simply an awesome idea.

I may be pro Taylormade, because I like how their product fits me and my swing. I do not hold the belief that Taylormade makes the best equipment for everybody.

And this is the best reason to like a brand or simply a club. It's just whatever fits you best.

I didnt come here to "bury" taylormade. I said I think the D2 is slightly better and listed why. Thats all. Id be curious to see if a large group of people hit both how many would agree. Id bet a significant amount. I like Calaways new add campaign. Performance over Paint. Again I do get the biggest kick out of the sole plate so they could claim 48 different settings. Taylormade has a good thing going with t he white heads and their marketing is kicking ass. Everytime a tour player hits an R11 you can see it plain as day. Simply an awesome idea.

I don't know if a R11 to 910 D2 is the best comparison. I believe they are engineered for different players. I think a better comparison would be the D3 to the R11.

Inferior how? If the statistics show a certain driver or shaft performs 30% better than every other model in perfect conditions with the robot, that technically makes it superior, right? Well, what if you hated the look or feel of said club? Or for whatever reason didn't hit said club well? The stats say you should be 30% better. But in actuality, for that person, it is INFERIOR! There are too many variables in real golf. Inferior equipment is a completely blanket statement that could be true for some, but absolutely false for others.

I have never once said that Lester was wrong for thinking that the R11 was inferior. I just said that he is wrong for thinking that the blur is universally inferior to the RIP. I am trying to get a good reason why he thinks one is better than the other. I feel like he hasn't given one yet.

It may not be. For me hitting the two I feel the RIP is better.

By that logic, I would think that the most used items on tour must be teh best right? I dont buy that for a second.
Where did I say that?

It may not be. For me hitting the two I feel the RIP is better.

Common ground on the horizon -

I agree that the RIP would fit certain players better. I think it is a bit stiffer than the blur. For my swing I like the Blur, it helps me get the ball up. I do not have the swing speed to hit the RIP in my driver.

I got fitted for a driver about 2 weeks ago. I hit the G15, D3 (RIP shaft) and R11 (blur) on the monitor. Kept switching from one to the other so I didn't skew my results.

R11 outperformed both for me in just about every category. The weird part was that I got about 5 MPH more swing speed with the R11 over the other clubs. I averaged around 106 with the G15, 108 with the D3, and 113 with the R11. My spin numbers off the R11 were about 200-300 RPM less than the others, and I got a better launch angle as well.

I went into the demo thinking that I was going to go home with a Ping or Titleist, and ended up with the R11. Love this club

I did the same thing about a month ago. Was 100% sure I was going to love the 910. I hit the SF TP and it blew the Titleist AWAY!! Spin rate was down 800-1000 and my swing speed was faster with the SF TP. Not sure if I can throw $400 at the TP but I am going to get the regular SF. Never thought that club would be that good for me..I have always considered the Burner the illegitimate step child of the Taylormade line. Little did I know that this thing was the TRUTH!

Lukey719, listen to these guy/girls, they know their stuff! I would hit everything like Joshzilla said. You never know what driver is right for you until you hit it!

Everyone has their opinion about which brand or club is top notch or which is inferior. It's all about personal experience and preference and as we can very much tell by this thread, EVERYONE has their favorite brand and their brand to pick on. Personal preference is ultimately what decides whether or not you like a club or brand in my opinion.

Lukey719, listen to these guy/girls, they know their stuff! I would hit everything like Joshzilla said. You never know what driver is right for you until you hit it!

Thanks Gianna. I'm definitely going to consider all of my options and pick which suits me best.

Dont even get me started on how far and away superior Callaways forged composit drivers are to anything out there.

Its blanket commments like these that get people confused.

I didnt come here to "bury" taylormade. I said I think the D2 is slightly better and listed why. Thats all. Id be curious to see if a large group of people hit both how many would agree. Id bet a significant amount.

And nothing wrong with that, I dont think either of them hold a candle to other options out there, but that is my opinion.
So if I told you that on a launch monitor the opposite was true what would that mean?
And this is the reason we have THP demo days.

It is funny because I have the exact opposite feelings as you SL. I LOVE the TM stuff and I have hit the R11 and 910 with the exact same shaft and much prefer the R11! I am of the opinion that Titleist has rested on its laurels for too long as they watched companies like TaylorMade put out superior products year after year. But that is the best part about this game everyone has different opinions and that is great!

It is funny because I have the exact opposite feelings as you SL. I LOVE the TM stuff and I have hit the R11 and 910 with the exact same shaft and much prefer the R11! I am of the opinion that Titleist has rested on its laurels for too long as they watched companies like TaylorMade put out superior products year after year. But that is the best part about this game everyone has different opinions and that is great!

I agree Dr. Teeth. I love to see all of the competition between brands just to come out with the latest and greatest stuff.

Everyone has their opinion about which brand or club is top notch or which is inferior. It's all about personal experience and preference and as we can very much tell by this thread, EVERYONE has their favorite brand and their brand to pick on. Personal preference is ultimately what decides whether or not you like a club or brand in my opinion.

It probably looks like I love Taylor Made given my signature. HAHA Right now I do. But I am totally open to other brands. I can get TM a bit cheaper right now, have hit absolutely everything TM makes, because my club has a TM affiliation. If I had endless money and time, I would hit every brand and choose that way. I wish I had more time and money to do that. My basic opinion is: for me it is a delicate balance between cost and performance. All brands make enough products that there is probably a club that fits you well in each brand. Whether it is a Cleveland, TM, Titleist, etc. they are all good. If you have narrowed it down to these 2 brands, (TM, Titleist) a good fitting will narrow it down to 1. Good luck.

It probably looks like I love Taylor Made given my signature. HAHA Right now I do. But I am totally open to other brands. I can get TM a bit cheaper right now, have hit absolutely everything TM makes, because my club has a TM affiliation. If I had endless money and time, I would hit every brand and choose that way. I wish I had more time and money to do that. My basic opinion is: for me it is a delicate balance between cost and performance. All brands make enough products that there is probably a club that fits you well in each brand. Whether it is a Cleveland, TM, Titleist, etc. they are all good. If you have narrowed it down to these 2 brands, (TM, Titleist) a good fitting will narrow it down to 1. Good luck.

Extremely well said and the exact reason we do have THP demo day.

Right there with you buddy! My post turned more into a long winded agreement lol

I am not even saying I am pro BLUR. I am just saying that a person who says the BLUR sucks for everyone and is totally inferior, and the RIP is great for everyone and is totally superior is really closed minded.

i play the 910 w/ made-for ilima, and am happy with it. For me, i took one waggle with the R11 and knew it wasn't for me, i prefer the shorter shaft length on the 910, and the white crown and graphics weren't doing it for me.

I did the same thing about a month ago. Was 100% sure I was going to love the 910. I hit the SF TP and it blew the Titleist AWAY!! Spin rate was down 800-1000 and my swing speed was faster with the SF TP. Not sure if I can throw $400 at the TP but I am going to get the regular SF. Never thought that club would be that good for me..I have always considered the Burner the illegitimate step child of the Taylormade line. Little did I know that this thing was the TRUTH!

Gamma: Make sure you hit the regular SF 2.0 before you pull the trigger. In my experience the regular model (1.0 or 2.0) vs the TP play quite a bit different due to the change in shaft. The Ozik is much like the Blur in that it helps getting the ball up high, very quickly. The HD6 also helps to get the ball up but requires a bit more mustard to do it as the torque is lower. It also rolls with a open face rather then a square face.

In terms of the Blur shaft I'm going to out right say I don't like it even though I know I'm wrong(ish). From where I'm standing it looks like a Blur is an excellent shaft for the player who isn't going to get fit and jumps all over the excellent marketing that TMaG is doing (excellent job there as well TMaG). However that same player in a lot of cases is not going to be served by playing a low spin driver head. So what it appears like is that the standard R11 is being somewhat setup for the average bloke in mind when they aren't really serverd well by playing it at all. Then for the players who do need a low spin driver head and likely the properly fit shaft to match you're looking at a $100 to $200 more to get it.

Now I know this is because the average bloke is going to outsell the fitted player probably 10,000 to 1 but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I know they're a business and the goal is to make money and that people feel better playing the "same" stuff that they guys on tour use. It's flat up excellent marketing and genius sales tactics but at the same time feels a bit disingenuous to the fitted player at the same time.

I know this dream lives in candy lala land with leprachauns and unicorns and gumdrop streets but wouldn't it be nice if everyone was properly fit so brand preference wouldn't rule this discussion?

Thus I have to revise my initial statement. I'm not against the Blur shaft per say, I'm against what it optically represents to me.

Edit: If that read like I'm against the R11, that's not the case either. I think the driver head is fantastic if it's what you need and I'm looking forward to having a second chance at the fairway's this weekend

Back