Cleveland 588 Wedges

Nice yoccos! I'm with JB, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the wedge now that you have your hands on it.

Well I only got to hit this wedge on the mats. Two things immediately came to mind,

Control
Feel (crisp feeling/sounding)

I really felt the club throughout the swing (chips/pitches) and I could tell from the interaction with the mat, this thing would really cut through grass. It was easy to control on the half swings for me which is big. That's where my hosel rockets start and I never felt in danger during any swing.

I really felt in complete control throughout the swing. Sometimes with my wedges (prior to spinners) I felt the clubhead really get away from me. I never felt the clubhead stray and it was easy to get back to a good position at impact.

The other aspect is holding this club and just getting a true feeling for the design. It's definitely sharp (literally) and very clean even with the obvious use.

I'm going to put this in play immediately, worn out pink grip and all. Ill regrip it today after the round though. It's gonna replace the Niblick as I need to practice wedges for the MC :) I'm gonna try and get a feel for what it can do around the green. I usually wait to put something in play but not only am I intrigued by others thoughts but something just felt right about the wedge.

Thoughts?

I feel that way too.

Nice yoccos! I'm with JB, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the wedge now that you have your hands on it.

Great stuff Yoccos. I cannot wait to hear what your thoughts are.

Im so curious about these its killing me.

Thanks man, I'm tempted to leave work now and hit up ASU Kartsen lol. If I only didnt have jeans on!

Great stuff Yoccos. I cannot wait to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks man, I'm tempted to leave work now and hit up ASU Kartsen lol. If I only didnt have jeans on!

Dude the jeans killed me yesterday for range time. I could have stopped by the favorite practice place but I had jeans on and with all the traffic it would have been perfect too.

Jeans are never good at the range. Ugh. You don't play in jeans right? Wait until you have normal range gear on man that way you can have a true hitting experience. Really looking forward to your thoughts on the wedge

Dont forget you said no purchasing before demo day...hehe

lol. But... I wonder if Cleveland can be persuaded to hook up the demo day with a few 588's

I'm highly considering it lol. I love casual fridays but there are times where I course my skinny jeans! lol. I kid I kid.

You just have to get this wedge in hand. What's probably the most ironic part, is we've all passed these up at the used bins one time or another and never gave it a second thought. I really wish I would have now.

Buy a pair of pants on the way over. Ive done it all too many times!

Dude the jeans killed me yesterday for range time. I could have stopped by the favorite practice place but I had jeans on and with all the traffic it would have been perfect too.

I've tried lol. It was short notice and wasn't hot so I figured what the hay. I always carry my clubs/shoes and Ill usually have a shirt/shorts combo but I cleaned out my car the other day. Man, all this talk I need to get out! I might pull a muscle sitting in the chair and have to go home.

Jeans are never good at the range. Ugh. You don't play in jeans right? Wait until you have normal range gear on man that way you can have a true hitting experience. Really looking forward to your thoughts on the wedge

Lol. I remembered the rule but then I thought, I probably wont get slapped for this one. I think Cleveland should send a few. PLEASE!

lol. But... I wonder if Cleveland can be persuaded to hook up the demo day with a few 588's

heck, I'll rock jeans at the range, I dont care one bit. If the range doesn't care neither does OEM. But I follow their rules and the nice ranges at nice courses usually dont.

So anyway Id love to see these appear at the demo day to satisfy my growing curiosity as to why these are in so many bags.

this is one of my first set of wedges I had and I absolutely loved them!!! When they stopped getting made it was a sad day...since then I have moved to the Eidelons and quite frankly the only wedge that would make me make a switch right now would be the 588....hint hint Cleveland!!

Man, this got me all excited knowing they could return!!

So anyway Id love to see these appear at the demo day to satisfy my growing curiosity as to why these are in so many bags.

Clearly you have skimmed a little of this thread.

a guy I work with has this wedge and I hit it all the time here at work and tell him he doesnt know what he has. I am telling you I hope to see these again

Took some crappy pics of mine while giving it a bath.

Leading edge
aefca232-7b0a-2e86.jpg

Full frontal...the kbs hirev shaft breathed new life into this club, thanks 9I and vibrant.
aefca232-7b74-1159.jpg

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

These 2 wedges were at my local GG today....both could be had for under $30....grooves looked beat though

a6890e57-8510-612f.jpg

a6890e57-852d-0a4a.jpg

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Nice Hanks! I just love that fact you see these so beat up and used. People really played the hell out of these it seems. I'm even more anxious to get out there.

Is the CG16 the only thing on the market that can come close to these nowadays?
I'm really curious now because I have such an addiction to wedges.

Is the CG16 the only thing on the market that can come close to these nowadays?
I'm really curious now because I have such an addiction to wedges.

I think a lot of wedges were modeled after the 588. Heck a LOT of them. Roger Cleveland makes wedges for Callaway. The Vokeys in many ways are modeled after them.

I think a lot of wedges were modeled after the 588. Heck a LOT of them. Roger Cleveland makes wedges for Callaway. The Vokeys in many ways are modeled after them.

Titleist would never model anything after another companies designs.

Used to use the 588RTG rusty wedges 47,54 and 60.They were superb wedges as were the 485's.If they came back they would definitely find a way into the bag.

I *think* I had the 588 wedges in my bag like 10 years ago. But I can't remember. It's a fine wedge, anyhow. It'd be a hit if they brought it back.

Back