Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

Great info. Can I ask why you are limiting yourself to just those drivers to try and not a few others?

Good question. I may try the Cleveland and the Adams on a monitor however I probably won't have the opportunity to get them out on the course. My club currently doesn't carry their drivers in stock. I have shop credit that I need to use up so I am limited to the drivers I discussed. Although I am sure they could get the others for me.

Has anyone tried the RH tour and the non tour neutral togethe? I have hit the tour and I am going to try the neutral out this weekend. Just wondered if there was a ton of difference or if the only one was the open face for the Tour.

Has anyone tried the RH tour and the non tour neutral togethe? I have hit the tour and I am going to try the neutral out this weekend. Just wondered if there was a ton of difference or if the only one was the open face for the Tour.

I have both here and prefer the non-tour personally. Just better for my swing.

The Tour head is smaller, open faced and has lower spin. The Tour model is more quiet/muted on impact. The Tour model RIP shaft is 1/2" shorter, stiffer and heavier than the non-tour RIP shaft. Shaft torque for the Tour is 3.6 and non Tour is 6.0 if I remember correctly.

I was fitted for both at a Callaway fitting studio. I had better launch, back spin and carry distance with the RH Tour with tighter dispersion. I absolutely love this driver.

The Tour head is smaller, open faced and has lower spin. The Tour model is more quiet/muted on impact. The Tour model RIP shaft is 1/2" shorter, stiffer and heavier than the non-tour RIP shaft. Shaft torque for the Tour is 3.6 and non Tour is 6.0 if I remember correctly.

I was fitted for both at a Callaway fitting studio. I had better launch, back spin and carry distance with the RH Tour with tighter dispersion. I absolutely love this driver.

Thanks for the info. This may be the novice in me, what exactly does the shaft torque do.
I loved the Tour version also. I got fitted for the Diablo Edge Tour last summer. I would have never tried it before since most of my misses are to the right, and with the open face I never thought to try tour models. I actually hit it better than the non tour. I am hitting them both tomorrow so we will see with the new RH if it makes much difference.
Again thanks for the breakdown.

Forget the torque question in the last post. Gotta love Google.

Thanks for the info. This may be the novice in me, what exactly does the shaft torque do.
I loved the Tour version also. I got fitted for the Diablo Edge Tour last summer. I would have never tried it before since most of my misses are to the right, and with the open face I never thought to try tour models. I actually hit it better than the non tour. I am hitting them both tomorrow so we will see with the new RH if it makes much difference.
Again thanks for the breakdown.

There is a great radio show on the THP home page that features a shaft expert answering all the questions about what these words like Torque, flex point, balance, weight and everything else. Really helpful.

So I hit them today at a Demo Day again. LOVE IT. Hit the Titleist D2 and D3 first. D3 was nice, D2 not so much. Then I hit Cobra S3 and ZL. Hit 2 balls with the S3 and put it down and only hit 5 or 6 with the ZL and realized that I didn't like them as much as the D3 so why keep it up. Then to the Callaway rep. Toook 3 out RH Neutral, Tour and Octan Tour. Hit the first ball with the Neutral and ruled out the D3. It was like night and day. Still out of the 3 Callaways I like the RH Tour the best. It was the most consistant and I felt like I could smash it everytime. I was just about to leave and figured that I should try some Taylor and Nike drivers just to rule out all possiblities. Hit the TM Superfast and Superfast TP and the Nike machspeed round. Then non TP SF was the nosiest thing I have ever hit. And the TP was pretty nice, but not the RH. BUT, The Nike Machspeed is one nice stick. I hit about 10-12 balls with it and almost everyone was long. Didn't feel as pure as the RH but looked just as long.
So back the the shop this week to hit them on a launch monitor just to see which one suits me better. I was really hoping that no other driver would compare to the RH but I have to say the Nike did a pretty good job keeping up.
Thanks for the info on the shaft show I will check it out. I have been trying to get myself versed on all the ins and outs of shafts lately so that wil help.

So I hit them today at a Demo Day again. LOVE IT. Hit the Titleist D2 and D3 first. D3 was nice, D2 not so much. Then I hit Cobra S3 and ZL. Hit 2 balls with the S3 and put it down and only hit 5 or 6 with the ZL and realized that I didn't like them as much as the D3 so why keep it up. Then to the Callaway rep. Toook 3 out RH Neutral, Tour and Octan Tour. Hit the first ball with the Neutral and ruled out the D3. It was like night and day. Still out of the 3 Callaways I like the RH Tour the best. It was the most consistant and I felt like I could smash it everytime. I was just about to leave and figured that I should try some Taylor and Nike drivers just to rule out all possiblities. Hit the TM Superfast and Superfast TP and the Nike machspeed round. Then non TP SF was the nosiest thing I have ever hit. And the TP was pretty nice, but not the RH. BUT, The Nike Machspeed is one nice stick. I hit about 10-12 balls with it and almost everyone was long. Didn't feel as pure as the RH but looked just as long.
So back the the shop this week to hit them on a launch monitor just to see which one suits me better. I was really hoping that no other driver would compare to the RH but I have to say the Nike did a pretty good job keeping up.
Thanks for the info on the shaft show I will check it out. I have been trying to get myself versed on all the ins and outs of shafts lately so that wil help.

No Cleveland or Srixon huh?

Not yesterday. But I think I will try them just to rule out all. Which Cleveland would you recommend, the 290 or the 310?
No Cleveland or Srixon huh?

Anyone hit the RAZR and Diablo Tour? What are the differences between the two and are they hard to hit or do they offer forgiveness plus performance

Anyone hit the RAZR and Diablo Tour? What are the differences between the two and are they hard to hit or do they offer forgiveness plus performance

I've hit the Octane Tour and the Razr Tour, but I have not hit either of the regular models. THey both offer a more compact head, and they both are slightly open at address. I didn't really struggle with either of them and really liked them. I thought the Razr Hawk tour sounded better and felt a little better, but that said, I like the results I got from both of them.

Thanks for the response. I wish I could find somewhere to hit these

FInally had the chance to hit the Octane and Razr Hawk 3woods. I actually like both of them to be honest. The Razr Hawk is a little larger, or at least it appears that way at address, but both are very adequate fairway woods. I love the sole of the Razr Hawk, I like how simple it is, but I think I prefer the sound of the Octane. Man, I can't wait to find an opportunity to hit these outside.

FInally had the chance to hit the Octane and Razr Hawk 3woods. I actually like both of them to be honest. The Razr Hawk is a little larger, or at least it appears that way at address, but both are very adequate fairway woods. I love the sole of the Razr Hawk, I like how simple it is, but I think I prefer the sound of the Octane. Man, I can't wait to find an opportunity to hit these outside.

I'm with you TC. I hit these recently and though they were both good. I was getting better numbers out of the Octane, so if these are an option for the Morgan Cup, I will probably throw 1 or 2 in the bag. Believe it or not I was having an easy enough time hitting the ball in the air with the 3w that I would consider adding a 3 and 5 wood instead of just the 4 wood.

Callaway RAZR Hawk Tour Driver vs. Callaway Octane Tour Driver

Callaway RAZR Hawk Tour Driver vs. Callaway Octane Tour Driver

Has anyone had the chance to hit both the Octane and RAZR tour drivers?

I have hit the RAZR Hawk, but I have not hit the Octane.

I looked down on the Octane tonight and liked the look of it better than the RAZR, but I like the RIP shaft in the RAZR. I dont like the seem that is on the top of the RAZR driver.

So if anybody has hit both of these, which did you like better and which seemed more forgiving and which was longer for you?

Merged this with the radio show thread because there is a lot of info on this both on the show and in the thread.

Thanks JB.

Anybody have any insight on the two tour drivers?

Has anyone had the chance to hit both the Octane and RAZR tour drivers?

I have hit the RAZR Hawk, but I have not hit the Octane.

I looked down on the Octane tonight and liked the look of it better than the RAZR, but I like the RIP shaft in the RAZR. I dont like the seem that is on the top of the RAZR driver.

So if anybody has hit both of these, which did you like better and which seemed more forgiving and which was longer for you?

I've hit both, but in completely different environments. I hit the Octane Tour in the simulator at PGA Superstore and at the time, I loved it. I loved the launch angle, spin #'s, and distance I was getting. It has a tour Project X shaft and I thought it was a nice pairing to the driver.

I had two range sessions and a round of golf with the Razr Hawk Tour while visiting THP HQ a while back and I loved the results I saw with it on the course. I don't have any hard #'s to confirm anything with this driver but it was super solid for me off the tee. It was outfitted with the Aldila RIP shaft and I loved the flight and distance I was seeing.

I can tell you that I will more than likely be putting a Razr Hawk Tour driver in my bag based on my experiences. It was just too solid for me with actual on course results not to seriously consider it.

I havent hit the Razr myself, but the 2 guys that I know that have, love it, both are single digit golfers who launch the ball off the tee, and im pretty sure they are both going to cave in and buy it (or buy 1 and share lol)

Would you say either is hard club for a 10 HC'r to hit? One more so than the other? Off the tee is the weakest part of my game, but I think it's because I have never had a driver with the right shaft in it.

Would you say either is hard club for a 10 HC'r to hit? One more so than the other? Off the tee is the weakest part of my game, but I think it's because I have never had a driver with the right shaft in it.

I wouldnt say theyre hard to hit, no. But the Octane might be a little more forgiving. Best thing is to go hit them both and see what you think. Both are very solid drivers.

I wouldnt say theyre hard to hit, no. But the Octane might be a little more forgiving. Best thing is to go hit them both and see what you think. Both are very solid drivers.

I know... very tough for me to do. Everyone I call says that they don't carry tour clubs because 95% of their customers don't need it.

I probably don't need tour, but I like the smaller club heads and clubheads without designs on top. More confidence when looking down on the club.

I didn't have much trouble adjusting to either club rather quickly. I have had the R9 in the bag for a while and it's a smaller clubhead so perhaps it wasn't too difficult of a transition for me. I think the Octane might be a hair more forgiving, especially in the shaft offering. The RIP is one boardy shaft imo, whereas the Project X in the Octane is a bit smoother on the feel side to me. I would honestly be happy with either of them, but b/c I have had the RH Tour on a golf course and I have seen what it's capable of, it just makes more sense for me to go that direction.

Back