Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
How much range time do you guys put in based on the number of rounds you play? Last year it was about 2 range sessions to 1 round for me. I think I am cutting back my range time and putting that time into short game practice. If I overdo it at the range my stroke seems to suffer. It's not fatigue. Odds are I get lazy and amplify my swing flaws at the range and it translates to the round.

I would like to stay in the 70s this year and I really don't think practicing 7 irons will do the trick.

I probably put in 5 to 7 rounds before I have a range session. I know some folks who never go to the range but for the life of me I cannot understand why. During Dec, Jan, Feb I probably hit the range after every 1 to 3 rounds because of the weather.

I wonder if you can spend to much time on the range and lose part of the game?

I am currently on about a 1:1 ratio. Only caveat is that the one weekend day I play I get in 2-3 rounds. As I can start getting in a round after work I see the ratio going from 1 range session per 3 rounds or so.

Probably 3-4 range sessions for every round I play.

I am pretty close to 1/1 for range sessions and rounds.
I spend 90% of my range time hitting shots inside 140. Also spend about 30 minutes a day putting.
For me range time is all about routine. I really focus on my grip and setup...seems to work well for me.

I wonder if you can spend to much time on the range and lose part of the game?

You definitely can. When I was in college there was an older man who would be on the range all day every day at the course I played. You would think hey this guy must be good. I played with him one day and he was terrible. He couldn't score or chip to save his life.

During the winter, range time is greater (2:1). Less range time in summer. I'm including time spent on the short range as well.

Now that the time has changed, I'm trying to get out there more. So aside from my lessons, I'm at the range on the weekends and 1-2 other times during the week after work.

Probably 3 to 1. I often have a session in the morning, go on the course, then have a session afterwards.

I like to try and get to the range 1 time per week. I also usually play once a week weather/time permitting. I could see it going to 1 range for every 2 rounds this year though if my fiance really gets into it like she seems to want to.

Honestly my range time to round ratio was not very good. I'd hit the range maybe twice for every ten rounds. I am a good ball striker so I think my practise should be more based on the chipping green for short game.

I don't go to the range that often during the season. I'd rather play and my time is limited.

Lots of varied responses. Thanks guys. One thing that drives me crazy at the range is the quality/consistency of the balls. I will be hitting at the 100 yard target and have one ball go 70 yards and the next go 120 yards. I'll switch clubs only to have the same issue on a different scale. I am pretty consistent with the short irons when it comes to distance control so it can't all be me.

I think I need to buy more property...problem solved.

I think I had one range session last year... and I played in the ballpark of 50 rounds.

The biggest problem for me is that my back gets tight after just a few consecutive shots so I can't sit there and pound balls for long periods of time.

Despite not hitting the range, I do spend a fair amount of time on my short game.

I think I am 1:1 here. Hit the range on the way home from work mid-week then a round on the weekend weather permitting.

I probably dont spend as much time on the range as I should. The majority of my range time comes either before a tournament to get warmed up or after a lesson so I can get the lesson ingrained into my swing. Other than that I spend far more time putting and chipping when it comes to off course practice.

Probably about .25 to 1. I hit the range a few times in the spring to get the game back, then after that, not very often. Maybe every so often I will go on a weekend morning just to get out of the house if I don't have the time to play a full round. I will try and hit balls before a round but I really don't consider that range work, just warming up.

I played 200+ rounds last year and only had three or four range sessions. When I go to the range, it is with my teacher. I have to be pretty far out of wack on some part of my game to go to the range.

I think it depends on the quality of your practice facility and what you do.

The facility I use is very nice. 5 target greens to hit to @ 45 yds, 90 yds, 140, 195, 275... it has a good chipping area and sand trap practice area. Also has an enormous practice green.

Im at this facility all the time but use just as much time on the chipping green and putting green than on the range.
I think if you are just at the range trying to hit straight shoots into the distance or to see how far is goes its bad for your game. If you are correcting something from a previous round or you are working on specific parts of your game you take all the time necessary.

Also, I often work til 5 or 6 on the weeknights so its go to the range for an hour or wait til the weekend to play a round. Id much rather go practice and simulate shots on the range than not play at all. Its counterproductive only if you dont know how to use the time well.

I think I am 1:1 here. Hit the range on the way home from work mid-week then a round on the weekend weather permitting.

Sounds like my ratio, but I try to hit he range twice during the week and golf both days on the weekend. Wife hasn't clamped down on me yet!

Also, I often work til 5 or 6 on the weeknights so its go to the range for an hour or wait til the weekend to play a round. Id much rather go practice and simulate shots on the range than not play at all. Its counterproductive only if you dont know how to use the time well.

QFE on that. I love to get out and just hit different shots @ the range after work during the week. Keeps me sane.

I'm probably around 1:1 or 2:1 for sure. Right now, during high school season its probably 2:1 or so. During the summer its pretty much 1:1.

Perhaps one trip to the range per 40 or 50 rounds. I just don't do range. I spend a lot more time on short game.

Good to see I'm not the only one.

My club has its range chipping and a putting green within a few steps of each other so it is easy to get in quality long and short game practice in one trip. I probably have three practice sessions for every round.

Back