TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Interesting idea but I think it would be reallly hard to get decent gaps. You might even have to go say AW-8 iron CB, 8 iron-4 iron 2.0. It would be weird to have two 8 irons in your bag but it would work maybe.

I was thinking about 4-7 w/ the 2.0. Thanks for the suggestion.

Got a chance to give these a go yesterday for a bit outside on real grass. It took me a couple swings to get used to the smaller size but once I was got used to that it was on. Love the feel at impact, everything just oozes feedback with this set. The cavity is not visible to me, and the sole-turf interaction is very smooth, feels like a knife through butter. Something else I noted is the weighting port, I think its phenomenal that each player can dial the weight in to what suits them best without adding weight into the hosel.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Played nine holes with the CB's today in a lightning-shortened round. Hit every iron except the 9 iron today.

I hit the ball pretty well with them, but was often hitting from some pretty bad spots. Good news is that they hit the ball out of the rough very well. Also, they perform the punch shot admirably!

I was able to keep a shot a bit lower on purpose. I had a PW into the green that was dead into the wind. The ball cut through very nicely and I ended up about 12 feet from the pin. Too bad it was my third shot, but that's another story.

I had two shots with the 5 iron today and I'm still liking it. I have no problem getting the ball into the air with it, which is very important to me. Only problem I had was that I pulled them both about 10 yards off line both times. The shots flew beautifully into the bunker. Definitely a user error there.

Best shot of the day was a 150+ par three into the wind. Grabbed a 7 iron and hit it beautiful shot right at the flag. Should have used the 6 since I was two yards short of the green, but the ball flight was very nice. The reason I say it was the best shot was the feel. It was just awesome. A great cracking sound and like swinging through the air.

FWIW, it was very wet out there today and I didn't notice any issues with digging too much due to the sharper leading edge. When I hit it fat a couple times today, it was way fat. I couldn't have got a good result from Mashie covered in Crisco with those shots.

When I was at my driver fitting last Saturday. The pro at the private club invited me to his demo day on Friday as his guest. I am so pumped, because he said the TM TP irons are going to be there. I can't wait to try out the CBs there.

When I was at my driver fitting last Saturday. The pro at the private club invited me to his demo day on Friday as his guest. I am so pumped, because he said the TM TP irons are going to be there. I can't wait to try out the CBs there.

Looking forward to your thoughts, dmb. Especially coming from somebody currently gaming the R9's. I'm just sitting here pondering how much I want to go back out and hit these. I really don't think I've ever seen a better looking cavity back club. That's 100% subjective and personal preference, but they are just so nice looking from every angle. I took a look at some other OEM's clubs that are in the same category and I don't think they are even close when it comes to looks in hand and at address.

Looking forward to your thoughts, dmb. Especially coming from somebody currently gaming the R9's. I'm just sitting here pondering how much I want to go back out and hit these. I really don't think I've ever seen a better looking cavity back club. That's 100% subjective and personal preference, but they are just so nice looking from every angle. I took a look at some other OEM's clubs that are in the same category and I don't think they are even close when it comes to looks in hand and at address.

Hey Folks,
I played the R9, great club. Needless to say, the CB or MC will be going in my bag. Accuracy is spot one. One of the things that I cannot get out of my head is nice Clack sound that the CB's produce. Wow! R9's are a tad longer, I was hitting awesome when I tested these, and may have noticed a very small loss. I really like the weight of these, a nice smooth swing will produce a nice launch that will basically go where you want it. I have not checked the spin you can put on these in terms of short irons on the green (snow everywhere), but I actualy could get a fade or draw off these bad boys. I hated the grips... I am interested in what shaft will work best for me, I read (here of course) that they offer project x's. Should be a fun fitting

Hey Folks,
I am interested in what shaft will work best for me, I read (here of course) that they offer project x's. Should be a fun fitting

Definitely go the fitting route. Look forward to your details.

Hey Folks,
I played the R9, great club. Needless to say, the CB or MC will be going in my bag. Accuracy is spot one. One of the things that I cannot get out of my head is nice Clack sound that the CB's produce. Wow! R9's are a tad longer, I was hitting awesome when I tested these, and may have noticed a very small loss. I really like the weight of these, a nice smooth swing will produce a nice launch that will basically go where you want it. I have not checked the spin you can put on these in terms of short irons on the green (snow everywhere), but I actualy could get a fade or draw off these bad boys. I hated the grips... I am interested in what shaft will work best for me, I read (here of course) that they offer project x's. Should be a fun fitting

The CB's and the R9 irons are the same loft throughout the set, no?

If the weather breaks and the courses aren't too wet this weekend, these will be getting another workout....looking forward to trying to hit these more consistently

The CB's and the R9 irons are the same loft throughout the set, no?

I looked at this on Taylormade's site a little while back because I'm playing R9 irons now, and the CBs interest me based on this thread. R9 irons are 1 degree stronger than the CB in 4I-8I, otherwise the lofts are the same. R9 irons are also 1/4 inch longer than the CB and 1/2 degree more upright, which isn't a big difference at all.

I looked at this on Taylormade's site a little while back because I'm playing R9 irons now, and the CBs interest me based on this thread. R9 irons are 1 degree stronger than the CB in 4I-8I, otherwise the lofts are the same. R9 irons are also 1/4 inch longer than the CB and 1/2 degree more upright, which isn't a big difference at all.

So there shouldn't be a whole lot of distance differences between the two sets based on that.

Maybe the shafts?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Maybe the shafts?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Maybe. I think the KBS' probably offer a higher ball flight, which can result in more carry, but I'm not so sure that they would be significantly longer than the XP offerings.

Yea, I have no clue. I've never played the R9s as crazy as that may sound.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

To be fair, I don't really like the JPX 800's either and they aren't what I mean when I talk about the feel of Mizzie's. I was thinking more along the lines of MP53's. Good luck with the testing mate!

One T: I think the fairly different feel vibes we're getting from these once again shows why it's so important to test out all the perspective irons first.

I can agree with you there!

Went out for one last practice round before the season starts tomorrow (weather permitting). Hit the ball pretty well, but I've had better days. Wind was not so kind and my distance suffered a bit because of it. I tried to club up and use the 'if it's breezy, swing easy' thing and it seemed to help me, but my ball flight on well struck shots is pretty high either way. Something I need to work on. The good thing about the wind is that I got a chance to get my distances dialed in when I'm hitting into it. My macho side keeps telling me that I need an 8 iron, but the wind tells me I need a 7 iron. I just need to learn to accept it for what it is. So, now I know what to hit into greens tomorrow.

I wasn't spot on accurate like I wanted to be today, but I found more often than not that I would be either on the green or very close. Thin shots were still the most forgiving miss and anything fat or off the toe were more punishing. There is no doubt that these clubs need a good swing to perform well and they can be more punishing on mis hits that some of the GI/SGI irons I've played in the past. That shouldn't be a surprise though. I just need to make sure I swing the club right hehe.

I'm still loving the feel, sleek looks, and ball flight from these (as long as it's not directly the wind). I feel very comfortable with them in my hands and am liking the way the shaft performs quite a bit. Hoping for a good day tomorrow with lots of iron shots. I'll be playing a much longer course than the one that I've been on, so should be able to use my whole bag.

Played nine holes with the CB's today in a lightning-shortened round. Hit every iron except the 9 iron today.

I hit the ball pretty well with them, but was often hitting from some pretty bad spots. Good news is that they hit the ball out of the rough very well. Also, they perform the punch shot admirably!

I was able to keep a shot a bit lower on purpose. I had a PW into the green that was dead into the wind. The ball cut through very nicely and I ended up about 12 feet from the pin. Too bad it was my third shot, but that's another story.

I had two shots with the 5 iron today and I'm still liking it. I have no problem getting the ball into the air with it, which is very important to me. Only problem I had was that I pulled them both about 10 yards off line both times. The shots flew beautifully into the bunker. Definitely a user error there.

Best shot of the day was a 150+ par three into the wind. Grabbed a 7 iron and hit it beautiful shot right at the flag. Should have used the 6 since I was two yards short of the green, but the ball flight was very nice. The reason I say it was the best shot was the feel. It was just awesome. A great cracking sound and like swinging through the air.

FWIW, it was very wet out there today and I didn't notice any issues with digging too much due to the sharper leading edge. When I hit it fat a couple times today, it was way fat. I couldn't have got a good result from Mashie covered in Crisco with those shots.

Good reviews buddy, One thing I am really starting to realize is that ever since I got these irons in my hands I have been trying to be "CUTE" with my swings. Its almost as if I am trying to just nicely send the ball on its way, and quite frankly that is not my game. I used to just pick a club and fire away. Why did I start this with these irons? I have no idea. But yesterday I went out and played and about 1/4 of the way through my round I made a decision to go back to the way I used to play golf, swing away and stop trying to control the ball. and that is when everything started coming together.

Hole 4 is a par 3, 150 yards, the green is a large green with a large hill on the back that will bring the ball back to the front, I decided to club up and hit a beautiful shot, It soared right over the flag to the back of the green, hit on the hill, rolled back towards the cup and I was about 6 feet out for birdie...which I drained.

Hole 5- Par 4 416 yards, I hit my R11, crushed it, was sitting right next to the 100 mark, took a 54*, hit it about 8 feet short of the hole...par

Hole 6- Par 3 148 Yards..took 9 iron and hit another great shot, hit on the left side of the green and just rolled off the back. I chipped up to within 6 inches...par.

At this point, I am thinking....I am back!!

Hole 7- Par 5 550 yards- Driver, 8 iron, I wanted to lay up to about 100 yards, hit a perfect shot to right in the middle of the fairway. Again, I hit ball first, had wonderful turf interaction, and the ball flight was just a sight to see. I managed to hit it into a bunker where I struggled to get out and didnt do so well on the hole.

My iron play continued about this same way throughout the round, Again, I was very pleased with the CB's. I had a few birdies yesterday, a few pars, and then some of those holes I just need to get rid of on my score card, I also had 3 holes in a row where I was in trouble off the tee, had to punch out and managed to bogey...in my mind that is a par....I can get rid of those errant tee shots and get in for par. Its early in the season, my game is there and I am starting to find it.

I cant wait to hear what you think of the CB's

Nice summary there, One-T!

I agree that sometimes I want to will these clubs into action and that's just not needed. A normal swing that isn't clouded by unecessary swing thoughts are rewarded VERY well by these irons. They don't need any help doing their job. If you are aligned right and put a good swing on them, they will go high and right where you want them to.

I'm glad that you are getting back to just striking the ball little bro. I've played enough with you to know that you have much better results when you just trust yourself, your swing, and you just hit it.

You know what to do.

I can agree with you there!

Good reviews buddy, One thing I am really starting to realize is that ever since I got these irons in my hands I have been trying to be "CUTE" with my swings. Its almost as if I am trying to just nicely send the ball on its way, and quite frankly that is not my game. I used to just pick a club and fire away. Why did I start this with these irons? I have no idea. But yesterday I went out and played and about 1/4 of the way through my round I made a decision to go back to the way I used to play golf, swing away and stop trying to control the ball. and that is when everything started coming together.

Hole 4 is a par 3, 150 yards, the green is a large green with a large hill on the back that will bring the ball back to the front, I decided to club up and hit a beautiful shot, It soared right over the flag to the back of the green, hit on the hill, rolled back towards the cup and I was about 6 feet out for birdie...which I drained.

Hole 5- Par 4 416 yards, I hit my R11, crushed it, was sitting right next to the 100 mark, took a 54*, hit it about 8 feet short of the hole...par

Hole 6- Par 3 148 Yards..took 9 iron and hit another great shot, hit on the left side of the green and just rolled off the back. I chipped up to within 6 inches...par.

At this point, I am thinking....I am back!!

Hole 7- Par 5 550 yards- Driver, 8 iron, I wanted to lay up to about 100 yards, hit a perfect shot to right in the middle of the fairway. Again, I hit ball first, had wonderful turf interaction, and the ball flight was just a sight to see. I managed to hit it into a bunker where I struggled to get out and didnt do so well on the hole.

My iron play continued about this same way throughout the round, Again, I was very pleased with the CB's. I had a few birdies yesterday, a few pars, and then some of those holes I just need to get rid of on my score card, I also had 3 holes in a row where I was in trouble off the tee, had to punch out and managed to bogey...in my mind that is a par....I can get rid of those errant tee shots and get in for par. Its early in the season, my game is there and I am starting to find it.

I cant wait to hear what you think of the CB's

Great review One-T! I have the same problems with trying to work the ball to much. This happens when I get over confident with my irons. I do so much better when I just get up there clear my mind and hit it. This really makes me excited about hitting these clubs on Friday. I am so worried that I have going to have to buy them after I hit them. My wife is going to kill me!

Great review One-T! I have the same problems with trying to work the ball to much. This happens when I get over confident with my irons. I do so much better when I just get up there clear my mind and hit it. This really makes me excited about hitting these clubs on Friday. I am so worried that I have going to have to buy them after I hit them. My wife is going to kill me!

You can always deal with those consequences later my man.

Nice summary there, One-T!

I agree that sometimes I want to will these clubs into action and that's just not needed. A normal swing that isn't clouded by unecessary swing thoughts are rewarded VERY well by these irons. They don't need any help doing their job. If you are aligned right and put a good swing on them, they will go high and right where you want them to.

I agree buddy...if you put a good swing on the ball with these the results are typically pretty good.

I'm glad that you are getting back to just striking the ball little bro. I've played enough with you to know that you have much better results when you just trust yourself, your swing, and you just hit it.

You know what to do.

Thanks bro, your right, I do know what to do, and I am going to start hitting the ball better and more consistant.

oh, I am not trying to over work the ball, I am really just trying to get cute with my swing, for some reason I have just been doing a swing change when in reality its not needed. Ugh....golf!

Well, if you love them buy them and ask for forgiveness later ...haha

Buy the CBs, sell the R9 irons, take the money you make off of that sale and buy her something. Everyone wins.

You can always deal with those consequences later my man.

I might just wait till One-T gets his MC Callaway irons and get his pay it forward CB's! :wink: J/K

Buy the CBs, sell the R9 irons, take the money you make off of that sale and buy her something. Everyone wins.

I could hear it now. Why did THP cause you to get a divorce? Everybody kept talking me in to buying new irons! HAHA

I might just wait till One-T gets his MC Callaway irons and get his pay it forward CB's! :wink: J/K

hahaha...I will say this. If you wait on your purchase, I will let you game them over the weekend at the outing. That way you can see how you like them. I will get a set of something else to game at the outing. Cool?

hahaha...I will say this. If you wait on your purchase, I will let you game them over the weekend at the outing. That way you can see how you like them. I will get a set of something else to game at the outing. Cool?

That sounds like a great deal. I am holding to my Outing Rule Number 1. No purchases before the outing. Thanks, man.

Back