Srixon Z-Star Driver

Im not finding the R11 to be very good for my game/swing at all and Id assume you feel the same way? This is working for you better then the R11?

It is working far better for my game right now.

What are your launch and carry numbers? What do you think I should shoot for as far as launch angle? 13?

Optimum for me was 15* of launch, and my carry avg. was 281.

Optimum for me was 15* of launch, and my carry avg. was 281.

Oh man! That is some serious distance! I will definitely see about getting it up a little bit. Going to be a good test to see how adjustable this club can be.

Im not finding the R11 to be very good for my game/swing at all and Id assume you feel the same way? This is working for you better then the R11?

still liking the Titleist better for you?

OEM,
Since you WONT be getting anything until the outing, you will be able to try this one out head to head with others.

OEM,
Since you WONT be getting anything until the outing, you will be able to try this one out head to head with others.

This one is first on the list I think. Hitting it in while swinging bad didnt give it a fair shot.

Do you think it's the swing or the driver not being forgiving enough to help when a driver swing is off on a particular day? Hate to see you ponder another stick so soon even though that's what OEM does :act-up:
This one is first on the list I think. Hitting it in while swinging bad didnt give it a fair shot.

Do you think it's the swing or the driver not being forgiving enough to help when a driver swing is off on a particular day? Hate to see you ponder another stick so soon even though that's what OEM does :act-up:

Thats a good question. I know what I want and thats a driver that can be fairly forgiving on the mishits that creep in and the R11 doesnt seem to be that. Maybe the Z-Star is? The adjustments are there for sure.

sounds like adjustable drivers will be getting a good workout by you come May...if not sooner.

The Z-Star sounds like a good place to start too. I didn't spend much time with it at the Hanks Putter Shoot-out but hope to do so at the Outing

Thats a good question. I know what I want and thats a driver that can be fairly forgiving on the mishits that creep in and the R11 doesnt seem to be that. Maybe the Z-Star is? The adjustments are there for sure.

I got my Z Star last night shipped from blind9golf. I can't wait to get it out on the range and play with the adjustable features. This is my first venture into the adjustable market. The only thing stopping me right now is that we are having wind storms through today and it comes back towards the end of the week! I am hoping to get some time with it before a tournament on Saturday.

I really like the looks of it, it oozes confidence. And like JB, I think the weights in the wrench was a great idea.

We had a Cleveland/Srixon demo day at our course last weekend. My son carries about a 2 handicap. The Cleveland rep put him on the launch monitor and he tested all the Cleveland drivers and the Z-Star. His numbers were better with the Cleveland TL310 than the ZStar (he carried the TL310 278 yards but the ZStar was shorter). I was surprised but happy since I was buying him a new driver for his birthday and the TL310 is $100 cheaper.

On the other hand, the ZStar was perfect for Setho. He was really hitting beautiful shots with it.

I am counting down the hours until Saturday when I can finally hit this at a demo day with the Cleveland Fitting Van. Heading straight for the Cleveland spot as soon as they open. But I'll try other things, too, and keep an open mind.

An open mind and a credit card. Daddy's leaving with a new big stick one way or another unless nothing works or more than one works the same and he can't decide. :)

SethO - my Bridgestone ball fitting put my optimal launch angle at 12.5*, for what it is worth. And the guys that went to the TaylorMade Kingdom were being told 12* launch and 2200rpm spin.

SethO - my Bridgestone ball fitting put my optimal launch angle at 12.5*, for what it is worth. And the guys that went to the TaylorMade Kingdom were being told 12* launch and 2200rpm spin.

Cool. What is you swing speed and what is your ball speed?

To be determined. But if I had to guess I would say in line with the rest of the premium drivers on the market. Plus you are getting an EXTREMELY high end shaft that would add significant cost if purchased aftermarket. For more info on that, check out the home page link at the top.
I see in the specs the shaft has 5.2 degrees of torque. Any idea why its so high?
Beautiful club and shaft.

Hope to see more forum member reviews of this driver as more people get them. Bring some Z-Star pain!

I see in the specs the shaft has 5.2 degrees of torque. Any idea why its so high?
Beautiful club and shaft.

Very interesting interview with Miyazaki on our home page in THP Radio where they discuss this very thing.

Hope to see more forum member reviews of this driver as more people get them. Bring some Z-Star pain!

I'll be happy to pass along my thoughts...as soon as the winds decide to slow down. I actually had time to head out to the range this afternoon but with winds at 30mph+ I was not going to get any good feedback. It sucks sitting in the house looking at it!

I'll be happy to pass along my thoughts...as soon as the winds decide to slow down. I actually had time to head out to the range this afternoon but with winds at 30mph+ I was not going to get any good feedback. It sucks sitting in the house looking at it!

I with you Ranger, I hate wind too. Specially at the THP outing in FL and when its a cold chilly wind here. Look forward to your thoughts though when you do get out.

Looking forward to out ranger.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Kevin I am going to go against popular opinion here and say that the 910 has been pretty forgiving for me. I'm not sure if you have given it a good testing but I will have it at the Demo Day.

Kevin I am going to go against popular opinion here and say that the 910 has been pretty forgiving for me. I'm not sure if you have given it a good testing but I will have it at the Demo Day.

Thanks CL, Im always open to all OEM's, lol. If it works then it can earn a spot in the bag.

Cool. What is you swing speed and what is your ball speed?

The monitor numbers from my Bridgestone ball fitting:

Head speed: 102.2 mph
Ball velocity: 140.8 mph
Launch angle: 9.6 degrees
Back spin: 2410 rpm
Side spin: -90 rpm
Distance: 241 yards

Their system said that if I got the launch angle up to 12.6* and a 148 ball speed (newer driver, mine is quite old) I would gain about 20 yards.

I'm thinking the Z-Star would let me do that pretty easily - 10.5* head, tweak the weights a little, maybe open it up a 1/2 or 1* so I can not worry about my hook... :)

The sound of the Z-Star driver is a lot different than any driver I have hit. I am used to the almost ear shattering ping of the SuperTri driver, but this is much more muted. I honestly don't know if I am a fan of the sound or not. I love the feel and sound and feel are very much related, so that throws me in a bigger quandary. Titleist drivers are my favorite sounding drivers of all time though. I love hearing someone hit a Titleist on the screws.

The sound of the Z-Star driver is a lot different than any driver I have hit. I am used to the almost ear shattering ping of the SuperTri driver, but this is much more muted. I honestly don't know if I am a fan of the sound or not. I love the feel and sound and feel are very much related, so that throws me in a bigger quandary. Titleist drivers are my favorite sounding drivers of all time though. I love hearing someone hit a Titleist on the screws.

I like a more muted sound, overall, so that bodes well for me, perhaps. I've never liked the high pitched PING! so many modern drivers give off at impact (most Callaway, Ping, and others). My R540 has a pretty muted tone that I like. If the Z-Star sounds at all like that I will be quite happy with that aspect at least.

Is it Saturday yet? Can I just fast forward the rest of this week?

I like a more muted sound, overall, so that bodes well for me, perhaps. I've never liked the high pitched PING! so many modern drivers give off at impact (most Callaway, Ping, and others). My R540 has a pretty muted tone that I like. If the Z-Star sounds at all like that I will be quite happy with that aspect at least.

Is it Saturday yet? Can I just fast forward the rest of this week?

I think it is just something that I am going to get used to. Sound is not really a huge issue to me though. Performance performance performance is what matters in my book. I have not always, but now I play only what works best for me no matter the brand and who makes it.

I bet you are going to absolutely love the Z-Star man. I know I absolutely love mine so far! I just love looking at the Dromos shaft.

Back