Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

I've now had a chance to put these in play for a couple of rounds and I just wanted to wrap up my testing these because I won't be hitting them anymore.

I lost distance off the tee.
I didn't see 20 yard gains with my irons.
I didn't notice any significant straightening of the ball.
The ball is too hard for my liking.
I didn't get a good feel from every club I put on them.
I wasn't impressed.

I would not purchase these and use them for performance alone and the fact that they are non-conforming makes them useless to me.

I will be passing them on to someone else and I'll report back any findings they have.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be a tester for this product.

I was able to play 9 holes the other day ( 82* , fairly breezy 19mph winds with gusts to 25-30 ) , and alternated between the XS & 2 piece and they still performed like advertised , and like others I lost yards off the driver , but the irons and hybrids they were still within 5-10 yards of my normal balls I play .
The harsh feel off the irons & putter is what bugs me with these balls , but the hybrids not so much but they sure make a loud clink off them .
I lost the 2 balls I was playing with as they do move like other balls in a cross wind , as where I play there is water in play on 3 of the 9 holes .
Thank you THP , and Polara for the opportunity to give these balls a test , as they do what is advertised and would make for more happy rounds for someone that does not have time to practice or take the game seriously .
Yes they may not conform to tournament play but I dont think its a bad idea for those that play for fun and just get a kick out of just playing a round getting out in the beautiful out doors !!
If this ball makes playing the game more fun then I say go out and buy some of these balls and get out there and have a ball !!!
I dont have a ball that I play exclusively as I switch all the time . I buy a dozen and when those are all lost I buy another dozen from another brand and try them , heck if its round and has dimples I hit it !

Finally had a chance to get out and play 9 with the Polara green ball. From reading past write ups i kinda new what to expect but its alawys good to see for yourself.
First drive with arrows straight out boom center cut right down the middle , ball flight was alot lower than normal but had some good roll out .my normal ball with driver is very high carries about 260 and ends with a 2yd bounce. When i reached my ball it was approx 30yds shorter than norm 230yds. 2nd shot picked up ball and aligned the arrow towards target spot on never moved from from the target center green 2 putt par.2nd hole short par 3 tried rippin a check wedge in there to see what kind of action it has, it didnt check up a much as i would have liked but a 15' bird putt missed , not the balls fault just me not knowing how to putt. I did try to work the ball i found it very difficult to do if the arrow is straight out , but it will move for you alittle with arrows out to the side. All in all the ball did stay true, playing with the Polara is like leaving your driver and 3 wood home and teeing off with a hybrid good practice for the long irons.This ball is very good for a beginner with not much confidence may be my wife lol, just isnt my thing
Thanks Polara and THP

I've now had a chance to put these in play for a couple of rounds and I just wanted to wrap up my testing these because I won't be hitting them anymore.

I lost distance off the tee.
I didn't see 20 yard gains with my irons.
I didn't notice any significant straightening of the ball.
The ball is too hard for my liking.
I didn't get a good feel from every club I put on them.
I wasn't impressed.

I would not purchase these and use them for performance alone and the fact that they are non-conforming makes them useless to me.

I will be passing them on to someone else and I'll report back any findings they have.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be a tester for this product.

+1.....

First let me thank THP and Polara for putting these balls in the hands of consumers and giving us a test run. Also sorry that I was not able to get out and play last weekend as we had some unexpected family matters to tend to. I played the 3 piece ball today and my feelings were very mixed to say the least. After warming up on the range I went over to the practice green and pulled out 3 (of the 3 piece) balls to hit some chips and putts. Mind you this was first thing in the morning so there was some dew on the grass. With the chips i was hitting I was thinking these balls had some potential as the chips had a nice amount of controlled roll. They were not stopping on a dime but I felt like the roll was consistent and not excessive (they did not hit and check but that was not the shot I was trying to hit). I hit some putts as well and they did feel rather firm off the face as in rather hard. And maybe it is just me but the ball seemed to roll a little weird, it was not that smooth roll if that makes sense. I made it to the first hole and hit 2 9 irons (yes my group allows 2 off of the first tee) that were pin high that were slightly left of the green. I would have hit 9 iron on this hole typically for the distance today regardless of ball so everything seemed to be ok so far. Hit a pretty good chip but the green was running away from so there was no way to get the ball to stop for me. Next hole was a par 4 so I hit 5 iron (typical play) and gap wedge (again typical play for me). The 5 iron felt a little funny (harder than usual but it was in the short grass and about where I expected to be. Gap wedge felt fine and flew the correct distance. Was on the middle right of the green and the pin was on the left and of course I 3 putted but that was the indian not the arrow. Next hole I hit hybrid off the tee and just hit a soft pop up to the right that the tree dropped straight down. Pitched out with a wedge and then lob wedge to the green. Missed just left of the green and got up and down for a bogey. Ball felt good on the 2 wedge shots and the chip which left me just outside of tap in range. Next hole I hit 3 wood off of the tee and hit it well. Now for the shot I hit I would have expected to be at least 20-25 yards ahead of where I was. With other balls on this hole and the swing I put on the ball I have been much further along in the fairway than I was. It was not a windy day and the temperature was in the high 60's to low 70's at this point so it was not a weather issue either. I hit a 9 iron in and hit it well to the center of the green. To my surprise when I got up to the green the ball had moved maybe a foot or two from its ball mark. I was liking that the ball stopped quickly. 2 putted for my par. Next hole I hit a 3 wood and popped it up to the right for some reason. Once again pitched out and then hit a sand wedge into the green. Was in the fairway for the sand wedge and I hit it well. Got to my ball and the ball did not stop at all. 1 of the guys I play with was surprised to that the ball just continued to roll. I think it had to roll a solid 15 feet from the mark and where the ball stopped and this geen is not overly undulating where if you hit the wrong spot the ball just takes off. This was surprising and kind of had me scratching my head. Next hole I hit driver and boy did it feel terrible when I hit it. Maybe I did not have it lined up correctly but it came off almost like a knucke ball. Good think was it was in the short grass but it was definitely short of where I have been on this hole. I dont think I put a solid swing on it but the feel was like something I have not felt playing golf before and I do not mean that in a good way. I hit a wedge on my next shot that felt okay. Next hole was a par 3 that I hit 7 iron (normal play). Missed the green slightly right but pin high. Tee shot had a little fade on it which is my normal/ preferred ball flight. Shot Felt fine. Hit a good chip that should have left me with a par but once again yours truly missed the putt. Next hole was a par 5 that I hit driver on and once again that harsh feeling came back and my ball was MUCH shorter of where I am normally on this hole. Hit a 8 iron to lay up and then hit another 8 and they both felt ok. My approach shot was slightly right of the green again but was pin high.

I Do not want to bore everyone with the rest of the round but will say in summary my thoughts/ feelings so far are the following:

Drivers- I Absolutely do not like the feel of the ball with a driver. I also have noticed considerable distance loss with this ball and the driver.

Fairway Metal - better feeling than the driver but still shorter than what I expect.

Hyrbrid- I did not hit enough of these to tell anything substantial as the shot I hit was user arrow and no ball could correct that swing.

irons- Surprisingly the ball was fair in this area. Distance loss was not anything of notice here. Maybe 5 yards but I am not able to tell if 5 yards is me or the ball on most shots. Ball did not feel overly soft like a premimum ball but it was not overly harsh (like the driver) when hit well. Now if you do not hit the sweet spot you get more feedback from the ball unlike the premium balls. This was instanenous feedback similar to when you miss the sweetspot on a blade.

chips/ greenside shots- again ball was fair here- not overly harsh but definitely not soft like a Pro V/ nike one/ TM penta. Ball was going to roll maybe a little more than some would like but I think you have to adjust your game to this charateristic.

Putts- Ball was a little too firm for my liking here. It also seemed to not roll as smooth. Granted I thought my course's greens were 'hairier' than normal today as it seemed like they needed to be cutt or rolled again and were not as smooth as normal.

Overall - I will play another couple of rounds with the ball and try the 2 piece out as well to give a better sample population. My initial thoughts are there could be a market for this ball at a certain price point and certain player. I think it is hard to play this ball if you know what a compressed ball feels like with a higher end ball. There is just something about the feel and sound of those well struck shots where you feel as if you never felt the ball on the clubface. I never had that feeling today even on the shots that were not as harsh. I also was 'never sure' what the ball was going to do as a 9 iron stopped but a sand wedge rolled like it was on bowling alley lane and I hit it in high with a good divot so it was a descending blow. As of now I would not be willing to 'switch' to this ball but that is my personal opinion. I will post after the next trial run.

Played another round with the Polara balls. Started with the Ultimate Straight ("US") in front 9 and finished with the XS in the back. The results were similar to my last round last week. Drivers were straight and I could see the self correct technology work to keep the balls straight. Again, it will not fix swing faults. Pushes will still go right and duck hooks will go left. The US ball is too hard for me. I did not feel comfortable with the US off driver and maybe because of that (or the ball), distance loss was quite noticeable off the driver. I didn't have GPS, but I would guess I was anywhere from 15-20 yards shorter with the US than my normal ball, ProV1X. Irons were better for me, but like the driver, the firmnesss of the balls felt hard off the clubface. My swing in the front 9 was off and I had a lot of pushes and hooks. It didn't help that we teed off in the dark in the cold. Chips and putts were also hard and greens were fast (even with the wet grass). I did not care for the US for chips and putts.

In the back 9, the body was warmed up and the sun was out. (Sun probably came out somewhere between 1st and 2nd hole). Swing was much better (after taking off my jacket). I previously noted that I am one of the worse players when bundled up with layers. I like the XS balls for the par-3s. The driver was only slightly better with the XS. Distance loss was present, but, for me, not as bad as the US. Feel was a little better too. On par-3s, with iron or hybrid, the balls went exactly where I was aiming. One hole, I was aiming a bit right and the ball ended being pin high to the right with my iron. I had a great chip and tapped in for par. It's been a while since I parred that hole. For whatever reason, the hole shallows up the ball on this hole. Someone once told me that there is a wind tunnel that knocks down the balls to a ditch fronting the hole. I landed in the rough, so I didn't have any roll. Today, distance off iron on the par-3 with the XS ball was around the distance I normally hit my ProV1X. For the other par-3 (two total in the back 9), I used a hybrid which landed just short of the hole, but ended at the back of the green. I normally roll my hybrid shots, but it probably rolled a few more yards with the XS than ProV1X. Putts pretty much went the distance I expected, which is a yard or so more than the ProV1X. I made bogey on this hole, with three-putts. It was one of those bad putting days for me - more me than the ball. The chips were okay with the XS. Like the putts, I had to figure an extra yard or so of roll out.

Oh, by the way, shots on second shots (sometimes third) after the tee shots were not re-aligned. I didn't notice any distance benefit or loss with these types of shots. Approaches had more roll out than what I am used too, but not by much.

I will casually use this ball for fun, especially on par-3s, which is bad scoring holes because of my iron play weakness. I probably won't play these balls on holes that require a driver, which for me is any hole other than a par-3.

Thanks to THP and Polara for letting us test these balls. It was fun.

Last edited:
Ok I tested the XS a bit more today o see what I thought again. Off the driver these things are terrible for me. Off of the short irons, they are extra long. I was testing the 2011 bridgestone e5 and b330RXS alongside this ball. I actually stopped hitting the XS off of the tee during my testing because it didn't go anywhere.

First of all, the XS does have very decent amounts of spin on the short irons. I can't even get the 2 piece to stop with my short irons. These take a hop and roll just slightly. Strangely enough, I found that they took extremely high hops when they hit the greens. Not a big deal because at least they stop. I also thought that on one of my par 3s that it way over corrected the ball flight. I hit one perfectly and it was beginning a nice high draw when all of the sudden it almost jerked in mid flight to a fade. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen.

My batch just arrived. I'm looking forward to taking them out tomorrow and see they roll (boo)...

Had a buddy play with these today and once again they performed as advertised. He is really into golf and trying to get better, but he really liked the fact he could use one of these for a couple holes when he was having a conniption to calm himself down and get some confidence back. The 3-piece worked quite a bit better for him in every aspect. He felt the 2-piece balls were firmer and didn't make as good of a sound as the 3-piece. The 3-piece did roll more than his usual ball (E6), but other than that he couldn't tell a difference. These balls really surprised me and I think there's a large enough market out there for them to be profitable for Polara.

Took these out at the butt crack of dawn this morning to give them a shot at Burnaby Mountain.

As explained by the instructions, there wasn't any point using my driver on these since I have the loft set so low. Of course, I did it anyway just for the fun of it and they indeed went no where. As in my 6 iron went further then the driver shot. As expected though I got a nice, straight flight from the 3 or 5 wood shot. What was interesting to me though was that they were leaking carry distance but picked up a huge roll even in the wet turf. My standard 3 wood is about 230 carry then 5 to 10 of roll with a Z star. With both the standard and XS I was carrying about 210 but getting 20 to 30 yards of roll. On one shot that runs severly downhill I had around 210 of carry but then thing rolled all the way down the hill to just in front of the green which is about another 90 yards. I will admit that it was pretty cool to see but if conditions were drier or you were trying to place the ball there certainly the opportunity for it to roll into trouble.

All in all, they did exactly what they said in terms of flight correct. I tried to hit a couple of shots by cutting across the ball in the swing and I still ended up with a shot that was pretty close to the line. It didn't kill the deliberate slice but it kept it in play which was pretty cool.

Like others have mentioned though, these aren't the greatest around the green. I play E6's, Vision's and HX Hots from time to time so I know about a ball running out instead of stopping like my Z's or Is, but these things really ran out. Am I suprised? Certainly not. In fact I would give the ball bonus points for being consistent. How can I expect a wood or iron shot that runs out to not apply to wedge shots as well. Thus, bonus points for consistency but my gosh was it annoying on sloped greens. The XS was a bit better then the standard in this regard but not by much. Also as mentioned previously, the ball felt harsh off the putter. I could see getting use to this if one had a super soft insert to cushion it but it would have to be softer then my current insert by a large margin.

I think the standards will be an awesome ball for two of my co-workers. They come out when the rest of the office goes golfing for the fun of it but are clearly frustrated by slicing the ball everywhere. Add these to their game and they would have way more fun on these outings as the frustrations of the game wouldn't be a buzz kill. The XS's I think are neat for middle of the road golfers like myself. If you're having a bad day, stringing together some blow up holes, pull the XS, get some confidence back then switch back to your normal ball. Sort of like taking a deep breath to calm down except doing it for a entire hole or two.

Played 18 holes after church today. The Polara XS's US and my usual ball for comparison. Will have a full write up later tonight after family duties are all taken care of.

I was basically done with my personal testing of the Polara balls but I think I came up with another reason that someone would want to put these balls in their bag, on course swing practice and on course 2nd shot fairway practice.

Yesterday, I played a round at a course on the CT/RI border that is still playing cartpath only with winter tees/greens in effect.

Since the course was really muddy, I decided to work on a few things in my swing and wanted to keep the ball in the fairway. Also, everyone is playing from the forward tees so distance off the tee isn't as important. So, I pulled out one of the Polara Ultimate Straight balls to use on my tee shots (I dropped an E6 in the fairway).

Again, I was really impressed with how straight these balls are off the tee. The fact that I didn't have to worry about where the ball was going to go meant that I could really concentrate on my swing mechanics off the tee box.

Also, because the ball went really straight, it meant that I go straight to my ball in the fairway, drop my typical game ball and go to work on mid-iron shots. I didn't waste any time looking for errant shots.

Thanks again THP & Polara for letting me test these balls.

I *finally* got a chance to play after 2 weeks and employed these balls a bit.

Tee performance: These guys certainly go straight, even when I try to slice the ball. I was encouraged by how properly their technology worked as I either hit perfectly straight or pushed it. I had little, if any, slice spin showing up my hits. This worked out for both my 10.5 degree driver and my fairway woods and hybrids. My irons rarely slice, so I can't comment on that aspect. Now, the bad news, I lost a lot of distance off of my drivers shot and some off my 5w. I know this as I play particular shots routinely from the various tees. One was to a corner with my 5W that I couldn't meet with both the XS and the regular ball. I fell short of the ~220 by about 20 each time. The other example was a 200 yard bunch of trees that I need to clear on one drive. These balls all fell within the trees instead of flying over them with my e6 and the group in front of me probably thought someone was shooting at them after they heard the repeated crack of ball against tree.

In the fairway: I was pretty impressed by the shots they made in the fairway meaning I didn't notice any downsides. They felt a little hard to me but performed as good as my swing can allow me to see. I suppose I saw some of the rollout that others mentioned, but this is pretty normal with my game to begin with. Again, I don't slice my irons much, so I can't say I saw a big improvement there.

Short game: Here is where I did see some more roll-out. I am pretty dialed in on my chipping with my e6s so I noticed a clear addition in the length of rollout once I hit the ground. Not a bad thing as I usually leave my chips a bit short, though, but something to get used to. For putting, the ball felt a bit harder again but wasn't a deterrent to me.

Overall: I think these guys work as advertised but a golfer will miss the distance unless teeing off with a 3w or higher in loft (just like the company says, by the way). Will I play them? No, I feel like I should play with "legal" balls and that they would nag my conscience. It also helps that I have really removed the slice from my game and tamed my hooks. But since I know they work, I will pass them along to friends (already have) and give them out during an upcoming scramble with some wicked slicers. I hope to post an update when that happens and give THP my buddies' thoughts as well.

Thanks again for the free balls to try out!

I played a round last friday while it was 80 here. I had 1 sleeve of the 2 piece balls in my bag so I started out using them. However the course was so muddy that after 3 holes I had lost all 3 of the balls. 2 of them I lost to them just being swallowed by the golf course (sunken so far into the mud I couldnt find them) and 1 to water that I usually carry easily by 15-20 yards on the driver, but needless to say the 2 piece dropped right into the edge (see distance lost with the polara balls).

I still have 4 of the XS left, but I am out of the 2 piece balls. I had given 1 sleeve to my dad to use when we played the time before this. With my wedding coming up in less than a month and a mountain of stuff to do in order to get ready for that, I likely won't be putting in any more rounds with these balls (or many rounds of golf in general for a couple of weeks).

With that in mind, I wanted to put up a few closing thoughts on these balls. They definitely do what they're advertised to do, they promote an extremely straight ball flight. They will not correct a poor swing, and they won't land in the fairway if you don't know how to properly align yourself to the target but they will fly straight in any direction you're aiming. There is a definite distance loss (15-20yards) with the 2 piece ball, and a less noticeable (5-10 yards) loss with the 3 piece for me. All said and done, this is definitely not a ball I would purchase on my own to use in my game but they do work.

Lastly, I am glad I got to test these balls, so a big thanks to THP and Polara for making this happen.

I played yesterday with one of my dads friends who fights a slice all the time. I got out of the car, handed him a sleeve, told him how the worked and toldhim to let me know how he liked them. Well, we get to the first tee and he hits one dead straight...says a few curse words out of excitement and plays with the Polaras the rest of the day. he does not hit the ball far anyways, so he was not complaining about any distance loss. We set it up on his iron shots as well and he was still seeing the straight ball flight. He couldnt believe it and was super excited. I decided to tee one up to see if I was getting the same results of about 30 yards loss, and again, it was almost 30 yards on the dot. I for one would not be willing to give up that much loss. But my dads buddy was more than happy to take these off of me. So, I have passed on my Polaras to two different people that they have worked out great for. I did keep a sleeve in case someone else wants to give them a shot.

I played yesterday with one of my dads friends who fights a slice all the time. I got out of the car, handed him a sleeve, told him how the worked and toldhim to let me know how he liked them. Well, we get to the first tee and he hits one dead straight...says a few curse words out of excitement and plays with the Polaras the rest of the day. he does not hit the ball far anyways, so he was not complaining about any distance loss. We set it up on his iron shots as well and he was still seeing the straight ball flight. He couldnt believe it and was super excited. I decided to tee one up to see if I was getting the same results of about 30 yards loss, and again, it was almost 30 yards on the dot. I for one would not be willing to give up that much loss. But my dads buddy was more than happy to take these off of me. So, I have passed on my Polaras to two different people that they have worked out great for. I did keep a sleeve in case someone else wants to give them a shot.

For someone who slices or hooks the ball, this is the PERFECT ball for them. As you said above you played with someone who hits it all over the place but then with this ball they were consistently straighter. Golf is supposed to be a fun game and if you are hitting the ball left and right it can get rather frustrating. For someone like that, these balls are a must. It could also speed up play because you don't have to watch the group in front of you playing right to left to right golf. I can't wait for the courses to open up here so I can give these to some of my buddies and Nerfny.

well i actually got one of these babies to rope hook today
i did everything i normally do and i aligned it teed it high and used a 13 degree driver
i would have hated to see what a regular ball would have done with that swing(maybe boomerang)
i also got the 2pc to actually scuff by hitting the curb of the cartpath
so i dont know if it was a combo of the ridiculous wind and a bad swing but i actually lost one in the water
still a pretty straight ball and even with the wind behind me on a few shots it was still pretty short off the tee and long with the irons

Was able to go out and play this past weekend and get some more swings in with the 3 piece ball. I walked the course so I could take my time and play two balls. I used the Polara 3 piece ball and a Bridgestone e6. I got the same results as the first time I tested the Polara. Straight but no distance with the driver and got more than normal distance with the irons. I still do not like the way the ball feels or comes off of my driver and it is enough to make me not play it. Well I kept score for both balls and on the Polara I shot 97. I was real short off the tee with the driver but I hit irons long so it helped make up for the shortness. The problem with being short of the tee I had was that I had such a long distance to go to the green. Second I was out of potions a lot because I did not make it past the corner and had to lay up on the next shot. With the Bridgestone I shot a 89. I was a lot longer and was able to reach the green in two or very close to it. The distance really made a difference for me. I also had better control around the greens with the Bridgestone.

well i actually got one of these babies to rope hook today
i did everything i normally do and i aligned it teed it high and used a 13 degree driver
i would have hated to see what a regular ball would have done with that swing(maybe boomerang)
i also got the 2pc to actually scuff by hitting the curb of the cartpath
so i dont know if it was a combo of the ridiculous wind and a bad swing but i actually lost one in the water
still a pretty straight ball and even with the wind behind me on a few shots it was still pretty short off the tee and long with the irons

How bad of a hook was it?

Have you tried teeing off with your 3wood or 5 wood? The company replied with a fairly good reason to why it wasnt working with the driver so much. Just wondering if this is something that you couldve explored?
Was able to go out and play this past weekend and get some more swings in with the 3 piece ball. I walked the course so I could take my time and play two balls. I used the Polara 3 piece ball and a Bridgestone e6. I got the same results as the first time I tested the Polara. Straight but no distance with the driver and got more than normal distance with the irons. I still do not like the way the ball feels or comes off of my driver and it is enough to make me not play it. Well I kept score for both balls and on the Polara I shot 97. I was real short off the tee with the driver but I hit irons long so it helped make up for the shortness. The problem with being short of the tee I had was that I had such a long distance to go to the green. Second I was out of potions a lot because I did not make it past the corner and had to lay up on the next shot. With the Bridgestone I shot a 89. I was a lot longer and was able to reach the green in two or very close to it. The distance really made a difference for me. I also had better control around the greens with the Bridgestone.

How bad of a hook was it?

well knowing this ball i aligned it straight at the 150 marker about 240yrds away because it went straight every other shot
but it curved the whole time landing to the left of the cartpath with id say about a 50yrd hook with a slight pull
maybe i teed it up off kilter or something? oh yeah and there was a mean (30mph or worse) wind

Nice post One-T!

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon with my boss and sales director, neither of which are straight shooters. I've already told them I'm covering them both for their sleeves of balls tomorrow because I want to see how they get on with them. Personally I think it will be a rousing success like your post above but we'll see. I also want to see if they see the same high bounce and stop that Rex saw because that's not what I'm getting out of them.

Well the Polara balls just arrived at my office and I'm debating on whether or not I am going to brave the elements out there. Not raining yet but its threating it.

It's doing so in Van right now CB so I bet it'll start at some point.

Ended up shopping all week with the wife down in San Marcos, so sadly didn't get to test out any balls like I wanted too >.<

Good thing I have golf balls to test come Friday, I don't know if I could afford a sleeve after that little trip!!!! ^_-. I kid, the wife is one heck of a bargain shopper lol.

Back