Around the Green: Bump & Run or High & Soft?

jlukes

Reaction score
Obviously there are situations where only one shot will do (ie you can only hit a flop shot when you are on the short side of the green and have to go over a bunker).

Lets say you are 25 yards out, pin is in the middle of the green with ample room to land it on the front of the green and run it to the hole, lie is flat, green is flat, etc.

What is your play? Are you going to play a wedge high and soft and try to land it and stop it by the hole, or do you you take out another iron and try to run it up to the hole.

I am a high and soft player myself. My wedge game is my strength and I feel very confident when I am lofting the ball at the hole and landing it close. I really struggle with the bump and run game -- and this ultimately affects my short ships as well. No matter how much I practice at it, I just don't feel confident playing a bump and run game around the green.

Since the end of last year I have started to play and get comfortable with my Sand wedge around the green(most times it ends up with a 3 foot putt) I am also very comfortable with the flop shot, just came natural to me and only use it in certain situations like you said.

My sandwedge has great feel around the green and just practice is all it takes with that club, for instance my father can not hit the SW to save his life when chipping and every time I just tell him to work on it. I love hitting my SW but I bring my putter and 60* wedge when around the green just to have options without going back to the cart, although I liek being on the green better haha

I usually don't trust the conditions of the fairway or fringe enough to bang it off there onto the green, so when you mention minimal green to play with I will go for the high and soft. I never know what the fairway will do with my ball in the bump and run conditions so I prefer to play right to the green.

J, if I'm in thick rough I'll lob it, if I have a tight lie I'll bump it up with my gap wedge.

Since the end of last year I have started to play and get comfortable with my Sand wedge around the green(most times it ends up with a 3 foot putt) I am also very comfortable with the flop shot, just came natural to me and only use it in certain situations like you said.

My sandwedge has great feel around the green and just practice is all it takes with that club, for instance my father can not hit the SW to save his life when chipping and every time I just tell him to work on it. I love hitting my SW but I bring my putter and 60* wedge when around the green just to have options without going back to the cart, although I liek being on the green better haha

I use the same wedges around the green -- they are my bread and butter. However, the lack of a bump and run game really hurts me when I am off the green on the short side, and there isnt enough distance between me and the pin for me to flop the ball.

Agreed with Sean. I think of a bump and run like an extremely long putt. Therefore I'll bump more often than flop. If I can roll it more like a putt with a clear path, I'm going to take that chance.

Usually it's a chunk and curse but I tend to favor the bump and run unless there just isn't any room to work with. Plan on working on both this year and improving my short game.

+1 unless there's something in the way I try to keep/get the ball on the ground as much as possible
Agreed with Sean. I think of a bump and run like an extremely long putt. Therefore I'll bump more often than flop. If I can roll it more like a putt with a clear path, I'm going to take that chance.

For you bumpers out there, which club do you use?

From 25 yards out, I try to hit high and land soft. My local course, the fairways are little bumpy for the bump and run.

As a rule I'll try and land it 3-4ft on the green and let it run out to the hole, as Hanks alludes to...if the ball acts like it does on a putt it'll generally have more of a chance to drop in the hole.

I can play both though depending on the conditions, my mood, the green etc... For instance, if I'm not sure of the break on the green or if theres a big tier/slope I might try and take the ball in high to eliminate the severe slope. (I know you mentioned a flat green but thought I'd add this in anyway)

I choose to loft it high more often than trying a bump and run shot, but that's mainly due to the characteristics of my local course.
It has small greens with most of them being elevated at least a foot or two higher than the fairway. This makes bump and run shots difficult to execute, but I do sometimes opt for bump and run shots when playing on courses more suited for that style of play.

I personally have never really like the idea of bump-n-run. I am pretty good with high and soft, especially with a high spinning ball.

Recently switched from a bump 'n run shot to a higher, softer wedge shot. I never had much consistency with my bump and run so I dedicated myself to working on a higher loft wedge. Seems to be paying off lately as my Up/Down percentage seems to be going up. Now if I could only keep my driver in the fairway.... :D

For you bumpers out there, which club do you use?

For the situation described in your first post I'm likely to hit a PW or perhaps an 8 if its truly flat. Oddly enough, when I first took group lessons at 13 years old, I had the starter set of 3,5,7,9, Putter so I got real good at running with a 7 and pitching with a 9. For some reason the 8 fits that mold now.

In a situation where you can do both, I will prefer to get the ball on the ground as soon as possible and run it to the hole. If I try to hit it high and soft, I often leave it way short or put too much on it. Seems like I've heard many of the well known instructors say to get it on the ground as soon as you can. (Maybe not!)

Depending on the length I really prefer my SW for bumping, but I think in some cases a lofted 60*/gap wedge would be could go bumping shots that are around 10-15 yards away.

If anything, amateurs are always told to putt when in doubt.

Right on. Aprons are either rough or very soft due to sprinkler run-off.The only time I run it on is when I cannot reach on the fly
I usually don't trust the conditions of the fairway or fringe enough to bang it off there onto the green, so when you mention minimal green to play with I will go for the high and soft. I never know what the fairway will do with my ball in the bump and run conditions so I prefer to play right to the green.

The two things that factor into my decision here are the turf conditions between the ball and the hole and the amount of green I have to work with. If there is heavy rough between my ball and the green I go high and soft, or if I have very little green to work with I also use the flop shot. If the grass is closely mown and I have plenty of green to work with I usually prefer the bump and run.

Honestly, it depends on what kind of mood I am in. I can do both. I like high and soft a little more often though.

Obviously there are situations where only one shot will do (ie you can only hit a flop shot when you are on the short side of the green and have to go over a bunker).

Lets say you are 25 yards out, pin is in the middle of the green with ample room to land it on the front of the green and run it to the hole, lie is flat, green is flat, etc.

What is your play? Are you going to play a wedge high and soft and try to land it and stop it by the hole, or do you you take out another iron and try to run it up to the hole.

I am a high and soft player myself. My wedge game is my strength and I feel very confident when I am lofting the ball at the hole and landing it close. I really struggle with the bump and run game -- and this ultimately affects my short ships as well. No matter how much I practice at it, I just don't feel confident playing a bump and run game around the green.

I like the high flop if I'm off the green around the distance you stated. The only time I bump and run is from the fringe or just off if I have some distance to the cup. I'm very good at the shot using a hybrid with my putting grip.

One thing you'll notice about you get golfers is that they're in love with distance and aggressive wedge play. I plan on adding a bump and run game to my arsenal this year, but I've largely been a hit it high player.

Tap before talk.

Back