Any of You Give Up Your 3-Wood?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I did...I changed to a 5-wood. I find I don't lose all that much off the tee, and the 5-wood is easier to hit off the fairway and out of the rough. It's a bit more versatile...for me anyway.

I did...I changed to a 5-wood. I find I don't lose all that much off the tee, and the 5-wood is easier to hit off the fairway and out of the rough. It's a bit more versatile...for me anyway.

I changed to a 4 wood last year. I had more success with it off the tee and from the fairway

Great timing, pretty sure the R11 4 wood is replacing my 3 wood. It leaves a pretty minimal gap between it and my 3H but the 4w just out performs my cobra in every way. I bet if I tried hard enough I can even belt it out further than my 3.

It will be a cold day in h-e-double hockey sticks before I give up my 3 wood. What 3 wood it is doesn't seem to matter but of any club in the bag, it's always my best by far. When I can barely keep the ball straight with a wedge let alone a driver, I can get a ball to bend around a tree or a dog leg at will with a 3 wood. It's actually why I've picked up a 5w instead of another hybrid as well. I'm sort of hoping the magic ports over

Last edited:
I have thought about it, and written in other threads about going 4 wood and ditching my 3 and 5 wood. But now that I am testing the R11 5 wood and liking it so far my thoughts might be changing.

It will be a cold day in h-e-double hockey sticks before I give up my 3 wood. What 3 wood it is doesn't seem to matter but if any club in the bag, it's always my best by far.
Tell us how you really feel ST. :)

I haven't even had a 3w in my bag since about Sept. of last year. Luckily most of the courses I play I can get away with whats in my bag now, driver/3h. However ultimately I am looking to add either a 3/4W or a 1/2H to bridge the distance between my driver & M3.

Great timing, pretty sure the R11 4 wood is replacing my 3 wood. It leaves a pretty minimal gap between it and my 3H but the 4w just out performs my cobra in every way. I bet if I tried hard enough I can even belt it out further than my 3.
I thought of getting a 4-wood this year Dent, but there was only one-degree of separation (pun intended) between it and my 5-wood so I decided just to stay with my 5-wood.

I gave up my 5 wood a few years ago for another wedge, as I hit my 3 iron just as long as my 5 wood. Never going to give up my 3-wood as it provides me with a good amount of distance off the fairway and out of the rough.

I've been seriously pondering this for a while now. Haven't made a decision, but I'll be trying a lot of fairways and hybrids at the Outing so see if anything works better for me.

I switched to a 4 wood. Best move I made. It helped my close some gaps with my wedges and geve me more consistency on long fairway shots.

I had given up my 3 wood until the end of this season, I finally found a 3 wood that I could hit well off of the deck and the tee. I had pondered a 4 wood instead but since I found something that works for me I'm happy.

a lot of people here have...last year I gave up my 3w for a 5w but now I'm pondering putting a 3w back in albeit poss. cut down to a 4w length

I think with how good hybrids have become now and how versatile they are amateurs are bailing on some of the longer clubs at the top of the bag

Gave it up early January for a 3H. Got similar distance and much more accuracy. Quickly began to develop a snap hook with the hybrid and got frusturated. Finally decided to take the 3 wood out again and now I can hit it beautifully.

I thought of getting a 4-wood this year Dent, but there was only one-degree of separation (pun intended) between it and my 5-wood so I decided just to stay with my 5-wood.

Ya when your gaps get that close it's almost not worth it to have both clubs like that. It seems most people go with the 4W/Hybrid setup or the 3W/5W.

Great thread Sean! At work we are big advocates of amateurs playing either 4 or 5 woods instead of 3 woods. For most amateurs the 3 wood is a useless club. I can not tell you how many people I have converted. Due to the shorter shaft most people will hit the sweet spot more consistently and the added loft gives them better launch angles. We see people hit 5 woods the same distance if not further than a 3 and with a much tighter dispersion. I bailed on 3 woods a while back and it's one of the best moves I ever made in my bag.

I only recently got my 3W, and am loving it. So I can't imagine I'll be changing it out anytime soon

I got rid of my 3 wood and replaced it with a 14* Nickent Hybrid. Sort of the same thing really but I can control it better off the tee. My 3wood off the tee only did one thing: Go really high. And if i'm hitting 3wood off the tee, I'm probably trying to hit a controlled shot to find the fairway. My 3 wood ball flight being so high with the wind out here, was a bad combo.

i think i am going to move to driver and a 15 degree hybrid. i am actually not bad at driver off the deck so that limits with a need the 3 wood. todays hybrids can move the ball out there plenty good

Nope, I'm determined to find game in my 3w and hell or high water I will. There was a time I said the same about the driver.

Nope, no way, I dont believe like most that hybrids can replace woods, hybrids were designed to replace long irons...

My 3 wood is out of the bag as is the jury, from 200 yards I'm looking to get up around the green and if I'm on it then great. The Mashie can do that, also it's plenty long off the tee, I'm going to test the Cleveland FL against the Superfast 2.0 against the Mashie M2 and see if there is much to gain from adding a 3w into my bag.

Great thread Sean! At work we are big advocates of amateurs playing either 4 or 5 woods instead of 3 woods. For most amateurs the 3 wood is a useless club. I can not tell you how many people I have converted. Due to the shorter shaft most people will hit the sweet spot more consistently and the added loft gives them better launch angles. We see people hit 5 woods the same distance if not further than a 3 and with a much tighter dispersion. I bailed on 3 woods a while back and it's one of the best moves I ever made in my bag.
Great advice to give to those folks J!

Nope, I'm determined to find game in my 3w and hell or high water I will. There was a time I said the same about the driver.
I've got a SuperFast 5-wood and I hit it better/farther than the 3-wood it replaced Duey...but good luck!

I love my 3 wood. I dont think I could ever give it up. If driver is behaving badly, I know I will have a club I can count on to get me pretty far down the course and still be playable.

Back