Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

LOL - absolutely love it! Just read this aloud to my wife and think I have permission to start pondering new irons!

The "I think" part has me worried.. remember do not call them "irons" but exercise equipment!

High handicap golfer

High handicap golfer

I bought these clubs hoping to improve my game. I shoot in the 100 to 110 range. I headed to the golf range and then out for two days of golf. On day one I saw no real improvement which I do not blame the clubs for. On day two I started off shooting my regular double and triple boogies. Then I hit a streak of 6 straight holes putting for par. I was starting to feel really good. Then on the back nine I fell apart. I am still hoping for great improvement as I continue to use these irons.

welcome to THP! keep us posted as to what progress you continue to see with these
I bought these clubs hoping to improve my game. I shoot in the 100 to 110 range. I headed to the golf range and then out for two days of golf. On day one I saw no real improvement which I do not blame the clubs for. On day two I started off shooting my regular double and triple boogies. Then I hit a streak of 6 straight holes putting for par. I was starting to feel really good. Then on the back nine I fell apart. I am still hoping for great improvement as I continue to use these irons.

I bought these clubs last fall at the end of the season so I still have not been able to get a round in with them. I made it to the range a few times and I absolutely love them so far. My slice was knocked down considerably. I wasn't too sure about how I was going to like these irons after I purchased them even though I did test out these along with about 10 other irons prior to purchase. I feel very confident with my purchase after hitting them on the range and also reading through all these GREAT reviews! Hopefully I will love them even more once I actually get a few rounds under my belt with them.

So i signed up for the free 6iron in january and had since bought a set (6-AW). I actually won the free one this past week. Pretty cool. I went to my local golfsmith (not the store) and had my original bent 1.5* strong and the new one 1.5* weak. Turned it into a real 6 iron and an almost 5 iron. Bad thing is, I normally play my clubs about 1/2 inch short. Had the smith cut the new club and for some reason he cut off about 1". Do you guys know if you can add a shaft extension on graphite shafts? Looks like a kids club now.

Another update - the love affair is over! But only because I found a "Burner" set of irons that are even better than the 2.0s. I was in Singapore last week and managed to find a set of the Japan Burner TPs (whihc are I beleive to be virtually the same as the much vaunted Burner B irons). They are smaller with less offset and closer to a traditional "players" iron, but with almost all the forgiveness of the GI clubs. The 4-7 iron have undercut cavity's whilst the 8-PW are basically a blade with a very small cavity. Offset is also progressive though the set with the PW having less than 1mm.

If anyone is interested, I can post hi-res detailed picture of each iron (back, sole, address etc.) Just let me know what you would like to see.

Oh, and if I forgot to say, they are very, very SOFT............Feel is the same, if not better, than the R9 TP 'B' irons (which I have also owned). I think they must be soft cast and then still have the vibration dampening stuff in the cavity.

Cheers,
Andre

Another update - the love affair is over! But only because I found a "Burner" set of irons that are even better than the 2.0s. I was in Singapore last week and managed to find a set of the Japan Burner TPs (whihc are I beleive to be virtually the same as the much vaunted Burner B irons). They are smaller with less offset and closer to a traditional "players" iron, but with almost all the forgiveness of the GI clubs. The 4-7 iron have undercut cavity's whilst the 8-PW are basically a blade with a very small cavity. Offset is also progressive though the set with the PW having less than 1mm.

If anyone is interested, I can post hi-res detailed picture of each iron (back, sole, address etc.) Just let me know what you would like to see.

Oh, and if I forgot to say, they are very, very SOFT............Feel is the same, if not better, than the R9 TP 'B' irons (which I have also owned). I think they must be soft cast and then still have the vibration dampening stuff in the cavity.

Cheers,
Andre
Oh wow....heck yes please post up some pics!!

Cheers,
Andre

Definitely post those things! I think we would all like a peek at them!

Cheers,
Andre
Andre, any idea why these wouldn't be sold in the US?

I received a free 6 iron and I have to tell you I am in love. I'm thinking about posting my MP52 irons and some other clubs to get enough cash to pick me up a set

Just Tap It In. Just Tap It In.

Sean, no idea. I think TM are crazy not to have these in the US product mix, but according to "everyone-in-the-know" there are no plans to sell them. I have at least 3 of my friends who want a set as well.......................

I really would love to find somewhere in the Dayton area to hit these outside.

I really would love to find somewhere in the Dayton area to hit these outside.

I'm sure there are some clubs in the area that are affiliated with Taylormade. You can go to Taylormade's website and look for authorized retailers in your area, a lot of times they'll include proshops that have TM gear.

Sean, no idea. I think TM are crazy not to have these in the US product mix, but according to "everyone-in-the-know" there are no plans to sell them. I have at least 3 of my friends who want a set as well.......................
Go figure Andre. I've seen this before with other clubs sold only in Japan and/or other Asian markets. I look forward to hearing more about these clubs.

Bajapalm, thanks for your eloquent words. My wife rolled her eyes but hen was in a much better mood. What a great way to explain golf equipment. Much like when my dad buys something new for his boat it is a "safety item."

So i signed up for the free 6iron in january and had since bought a set (6-AW). I actually won the free one this past week. Pretty cool. I went to my local golfsmith (not the store) and had my original bent 1.5* strong and the new one 1.5* weak. Turned it into a real 6 iron and an almost 5 iron. Bad thing is, I normally play my clubs about 1/2 inch short. Had the smith cut the new club and for some reason he cut off about 1". Do you guys know if you can add a shaft extension on graphite shafts? Looks like a kids club now.

I had my 6i extended an inch, so this should not be a problem.

Bajapalm, thanks for your eloquent words. My wife rolled her eyes but hen was in a much better mood. What a great way to explain golf equipment. Much like when my dad buys something new for his boat it is a "safety item."

Well thanks! I could tell by your avatar that you are a SERIOUS athlete! :drinks:

Has anyone hit these side by side with the r9s yet? I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet. The 2.0s and the r9s are the finalists for my next iron set, but I can't seem to find a direct comparison. Any input would be much appreciated. (I tried searching this thread, but the search engine and I weren't getting along!!!:banghead:)

To my surprise I had a package waiting for me when I got home... Thank you Taylormade! A Burner 2.0 6 iron. That was pleasant. Took it to the range before I went to the hospital (not for me) and it was interesting. I loved the lightweight. I hit everything around the center but was low slicing everything. Once I figured it out I really liked the iron and ballflight for the most part. It went further than I thought it would be going and the sound was pretty good (more a crack). The club at address is different than I thought it would be. Very sleek.

I received my 2.0 6-iron yesterday at my office. It was a nice surprise because I didn't remember using my office address. Anyway, a few initial observations:
1. I expected the club to be much longer than my current 6-iron, but it was actually about the same length;
2. I expected the head to be way more "clunky" and big, but it doesn't look huge compared to my V-31 6 iron. The amount of offset bugged me address, but it wouldn't keep from playing the club. Overall, it's a very attractive club;
3. Not a fan of the grip. In the sweaty heat of the summer I could see it turning into a slip-n-slide;
4. A bad shot is still a bad shot. I hit the first few way off the toe and the results were dismal;
5. I didn't get a whole lot of feedback. I hit a couple of shots maybe a 1/4 inch from the center and couldn't feel it. I thought I had flushed it until I looked at the face;
6. The shaft feels really, really light;
7. I only hit a few shots. The distance was good and the trajectory was piercing, but high. I hit little push fades on every shot, though. Perhaps the lie angle is a little flat or perhaps, I have a terrible swing.

Whew, I spent a lot of time reading yesterday in here and I've gotten only to about page 50 so please apologize as I have definitely skimmed this one (and this thread was started before I was even a member)! I am very intrigued now with this thread and hope to finish reading today/tonight, as with my Tax return I'm considering a new set of irons. I'm especially intrigued since JB relates them to feeling better than the 09 Burners as I've hit them (only once) and agree they did not feel great. I also love the Dustin Johnson Commercial with him at the range blistering that 3 iron. AND they look freaking great! I'm a firm believer in; "Look good, feel good, play good" mentality.

Of the testers, thus far are any of you looking at changing shafts now that you've had some quality time with the set? Or if you have already, what is a combination you're at now and how does it compare to stock? Can anyone compare them to the RAZR Tours, or Ping G15s?

Again my apologies for my tardiness to this party.

Great post A...My club selection has evolved the past couple years from the "S" series Pings to the "I" series Pings and now to the Cleveland CG16's for the same reasons you are listing. This will be my first "game improvement" irons since high school from 30 some years ago. I've never been more excited for a golf season to begin. I haven't been able to hit the 2.0's yet, but plan to soon. I probably should've waited before ordering the CG 16's...Oh well, there's always next year!

Whew, I spent a lot of time reading yesterday in here and I've gotten only to about page 50 so please apologize as I have definitely skimmed this one (and this thread was started before I was even a member)! I am very intrigued now with this thread and hope to finish reading today/tonight, as with my Tax return I'm considering a new set of irons. I'm especially intrigued since JB relates them to feeling better than the 09 Burners as I've hit them (only once) and agree they did not feel great. I also love the Dustin Johnson Commercial with him at the range blistering that 3 iron. AND they look freaking great! I'm a firm believer in; "Look good, feel good, play good" mentality.

Of the testers, thus far are any of you looking at changing shafts now that you've had some quality time with the set? Or if you have already, what is a combination you're at now and how does it compare to stock? Can anyone compare them to the RAZR Tours, or Ping G15s?

Again my apologies for my tardiness to this party.

You know, pre-2.0's I was playing Rifle 6.0 shafts in my irons, and I recently went through a fairly in depth iron shaft fitting, in which I learned that the KBS Xstiff shafts are great for me, yet the 85g stiff shafts in the Burner 2.0's work fantastically for me. It's amazing how high they launch, how far the ball carries, yet how low the spin #'s were for me. It almost makes you stand there and scratch your head. I guess my point is: even though I know what iron shafts are great for me, I'm not so sure I'd take the stock shafts out of the 2.0's as they just flat out perform.

I can't compare them to the irons you have listed b/c I haven't hit the G15's and I haven't hit the Razr Tours outside. The Razr Tours felt softer to me, that's for sure.

Thank you for that last post TC, I had a little afternoon romance with a 2.0 6 iron today and while I love my mizzys I really want a small set of 2.0s 6-pw. Good to hear the stock shaft performs well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Back