TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I've been very impressed with the R11 TP w/ Kai'li 60x combo thus far. I just got the shipping confirmation on my R11 TP 3wood with Motore F3 so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend.

I will say that the R11 TP probably isn't the long as the RAZR Hawk Tour, although I haven't been able to do any side-by-side comparison yet. But I've never hit so many fairways in my life. I also believe that with the confidence of knowing I'm hitting more fairways the distance will take care of itself.

I've been very impressed with the R11 TP w/ Kai'li 60x combo thus far. I just got the shipping confirmation on my R11 TP 3wood with Motore F3 so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend.

I will say that the R11 TP probably isn't the long as the RAZR Hawk Tour, although I haven't been able to do any side-by-side comparison yet. But I've never hit so many fairways in my life. I also believe that with the confidence of knowing I'm hitting more fairways the distance will take care of itself.

That's one thing I noticed while hitting on the monitor versus my Supertri. It was equal distance, but it seemed to find the fairway better - it just didn't find $200 worth of fairways better!

That's one thing I noticed while hitting on the monitor versus my Supertri. It was equal distance, but it seemed to find the fairway better - it just didn't find $200 worth of fairways better!

Well I've only gotten two rounds in so far with the driver. The first round I only missed one fairway, three in the second round. And none of those misses were more than a few feet off the fairway. I'm normally around 50-60% in that hit category, if I could bump that stat up to 75% it would be worth its weight in gold.

I'm seeing similar results to you. I can't figure out where the accuracy comes from either. Surely it's not just the white? If it is, I'll be putting my Ghost putter back in the bag, lol.

I'm seeing similar results to you. I can't figure out where the accuracy comes from either. Surely it's not just the white? If it is, I'll be putting my Ghost putter back in the bag, lol.

There were several times this weekend that I knew immediately that the same swing with my FT Tour would have been in the woods, but instead I was watching the ball fly straight down the fairway. I can't explain it but I like it.

There were several times this weekend that I knew immediately that the same swing with my FT Tour would have been in the woods, but instead I was watching the ball fly straight down the fairway. I can't explain it but I like it.

Like I said, I have played 3 rounds with the R11 driver and I've hit 9, 10, and 11 fairways. I like that progression. And like you, when I do miss, it's not by much. What do you think of the sound? The more I hit it, the more I like it.

Like I said, I have played 3 rounds with the R11 driver and I've hit 9, 10, and 11 fairways. I like that progression. And like you, when I do miss, it's not by much. What do you think of the sound? The more I hit it, the more I like it.

I really like the sound. Its certainly unoffensive in every way. The first time I hit it I was surprised how quiet it was, but the ball still went and thats all that matters.

I really like the sound. Its certainly unoffensive in every way. The first time I hit it I was surprised how quiet it was, but the ball still went and thats all that matters.

really? the first time I hit it I was surprised at the sound. it seemed loud to me. Hell, I looked at TC like...is it supposed to sound like that? haha

R11 is like a Stealth bomber. You don't get that nice metallic sound like you do with some older drivers. You get a THWAK! of the club face that just sounds like sheer force.

really? the first time I hit it I was surprised at the sound. it seemed loud to me. Hell, I looked at TC like...is it supposed to sound like that? haha

It certainly doesn't seem loud to me or my playing partners. The only time I noticed it getting loud was on shots higher on the face. I have to tee the ball up much lower than I normally do as it seems the sweet spot on the R11 is lower on the face than most modern drivers.

TC.... I wouldn't get so comfortable with the R11 when you have to switch drivers for The Morgan Cup!!! :laughing: They wouldn't like you painting the R11 black! :D

It certainly doesn't seem loud to me or my playing partners. The only time I noticed it getting loud was on shots higher on the face. I have to tee the ball up much lower than I normally do as it seems the sweet spot on the R11 is lower on the face than most modern drivers.

I would have to agree completely, I teed a ball up I swear just mm's too high and hit it higher on the face, not only did I lose yardage but that ball went high as hell. and I dont hit high golf balls.

TC.... I wouldn't get so comfortable with the R11 when you have to switch drivers for The Morgan Cup!!! :laughing: They wouldn't like you painting the R11 black! :D

I won't buddy, I like the Razr Hawk a lot too. I can't wait to get that black beauty in my hands.

I would have to agree completely, I teed a ball up I swear just mm's too high and hit it higher on the face, not only did I lose yardage but that ball went high as hell. and I dont hit high golf balls.

That would be my only complaint with the R11 so far. I hit one dead center on the upper part of the face, where I would prefer to hit a Callaway driver and the ball went no where. With my FT Tour I'd tee it up with the majority off the ball above the crown, with the R11 I'm teeing it with maybe a quarter of the ball above the crown.

Its not a tee it high and let it fly club. Its a tee it low and let it go club... haha

That would be my only complaint with the R11 so far. I hit one dead center on the upper part of the face, where I would prefer to hit a Callaway driver and the ball went no where. With my FT Tour I'd tee it up with the majoring off the ball above the crown, with the R11 I'm teeing it with maybe a quarter of the ball above the crown.

Its not a tee it high and let it fly club. Its a tee it low and let it go club... haha

I actually think that this is spot on dude!

That would be my only complaint with the R11 so far. I hit one dead center on the upper part of the face, where I would prefer to hit a Callaway driver and the ball went no where. With my FT Tour I'd tee it up with the majoring off the ball above the crown, with the R11 I'm teeing it with maybe a quarter of the ball above the crown.

haha, thats the truth, I used to tee the ball more above the driver...not anymore, thats a mistake you wont make more than once with this club.

Caught up some on this thread. Love the pictures. To see the white head contrast with some of the different colored balls was something I liked seeing. Characterstics like that help me keep my head down. These reviews really leave with a serious need to fill my driver spot until I get my hands on some Callaway gear.

** I know its more than driver but just sayin thats the spot thats open for woods.

Now that I have been out with the R11 for four sessions, I thought I would give my thoughts. I will also share with you the results of a pal who used it for 2 sessions with me.

Looks: I really enjoy the looks of the club. The contrast on the bottom between the white, black and red is really appealing. And I really like the looks of the shaft with the head. Although I liked the look of the head, I wasn't sure how I would feel standing over and swinging a white head. In the end, I actually enjoyed swinging the white head. It probably took 5-7 swings for me to become completely accustomed to the color, but after a while I didn't even think about it anymore. Definitely OK playing a white driver.

Feel: The feel of the club in the hands is great. The weighting is good and, honestly, being able to adjust how the club rest on the ground (e.g., open) gives me incredible confidence when standing over the ball.

Sound: The sound is a bit unique to me. When hit well, the club sounds powerful and full, not hollow or dead. When hit off the heel, you definitely hear it. It is more like a whack sound on poor hits. It is quite different from the sound of the supertri.

X-factor: Everytime I took this club out, people asked about it. They all wanted to know how it hit, etc. This club definitely has the "it" factor.

Length and Accuracy: This is still a work in progress for me. I am still figuring out what shaft is the best combo for me. As some of you likely know, more often than not I need a driver that increases spin. Some others need drivers that reduce the spin. As compared to the supertri, I think this head reduces backspin. Thus, I am working to find a shaft that, combined with the R11 head, gets me to the most optimal numbers. Right now, with the Kaili, I am getting about the same distance I have with the supertri, but I am not as accurate. With my Miyazaki Black, I am even straighter than I am with the supertri, but I am a bit shorter. Thus, I am confident that I will find a shaft that will provide great length and good accuracy... It will just be a matter of trying out a few more shafts I have in mind.

Friend's results: One of my pals that I play with wanted to give this club a run. I am familiar with his current driver and his driving game. His current driver is another OEM. He LOVED this club. He was incredibly accurate; his best setting was 1 degree open and open on the plate. It allowed him to hit a nice fluid draw. He was about 15-20 yards longer and much, much more accurate. The Kaili shaft and R11 combo was great for him. I am pretty sure he will be picking one of these up soon.

This is another update to some of my past posts (including the above post, reposted for ease of use).

I have spent numerous more range sessions with the R11 driver. I have become much more accustomed to the characteristics of the driver and the shorter shaft. Indeed, I feel very comfortable and confident with the driver at address. As many of you know, comfort and confidence on the tee is half the battle.

The X-factor (popularity factor) is as strong as ever. Every time I go to the range and pull it out, people ask about it. This club gets people talking!

In the last few sessions, my accuracy with the club has increased. I believe this is due to becoming more acquainted with the driver. I have been pretty happy with the range sessions thus far. I have noticed that the transition section of my swing has to be pretty smooth in order to gain the most distance and accuracy. With the supertri, even a more violent transition obtained good distance. Ironically, requiring a smoother transition becomes a blessing in disguise (I hope), as it will engrain a more fluid swing.

It is still not my favorite sound in all drivers, but it definitely let's me know when I hit it well (something I appreciate in a club).

This is another update to some of my past posts (including the above post, reposted for ease of use).

I have spent numerous more range sessions with the R11 driver. I have become much more accustomed to the characteristics of the driver and the shorter shaft. Indeed, I feel very comfortable and confident with the driver at address. As many of you know, comfort and confidence on the tee is half the battle.

The X-factor (popularity factor) is as strong as ever. Every time I go to the range and pull it out, people ask about it. This club gets people talking!

In the last few sessions, my accuracy with the club has increased. I believe this is due to becoming more acquainted with the driver. I have been pretty happy with the range sessions thus far. I have noticed that the transition section of my swing has to be pretty smooth in order to gain the most distance and accuracy. With the supertri, even a more violent transition obtained good distance. Ironically, requiring a smoother transition becomes a blessing in disguise (I hope), as it will engrain a more fluid swing.

It is still not my favorite sound in all drivers, but it definitely let's me know when I hit it well (something I appreciate in a club).

so, are you starting to come around on this driver or what?

I just got an email from TaylorMade. Here are my Trackman numbers from the Kingdom. This driver just flat out performs!

5550579604_599a333c5c_b.jpg

so, are you starting to come around on this driver or what?

I think there is a distinct possibility that it will become my full-time driver. I still want to give a couple other of the TM shaft offerings a whirl though, as I believe that there may still be a better combo out there for me [I am looking directly at you, Mr. Fubuki].

I think there is a distinct possibility that it will become my full-time driver. I still want to give a couple other of the TM shaft offerings a whirl though, as I believe that there may still be a better combo out there for me [I am looking directly at you, Mr. Fubuki].

hahaha, I will let you hit that shaft all you want to. Come visit me!!

March 22nd R11 7 – Wood 22 degree update

R117wood.jpg

Today was a beautiful day with a slight breeze and the temperature was 80°. It was perfect club testing weather. I picked up three buckets of range balls for my experiment. The Fujikura Blur 70 gram stock shaft, regular flex, worked well. It gave me a good ball flight with good dispersion. The white non-glare crown and black club face made the club set up for easy alignment. The stock grip which is a TaylorMade 360 @ 55g felt good in my hands. I prefer a mid-sized grip and for some reason this felt really close to that size.

I worked through the entire spectrum to include the Adjustable Sole Plate (ASP) with settings Neutral, Closed, & Open and also tested the basic settings with the the Flight Control Technology (FCT) which were standard, higher, & lower.

While testing the club on the Neutral ASP my personal observations were:
With the higher (FCT) my ball flight was a nice high draw.
With the standard (FCT) the ball flight was straighter with a slight draw with mid to high ball flight.
With the lower (FCT) my ball flight was the straightest but with slightly lower trajectory.

While testing the club on the Closed ASP my personal observations were:
With the higher (FCT) Nice high ball flight, straight with no hooks! That was a real treat for me. It in fact was my favorite setting of all.
With the standard (FCT) Nice high ball flight with no pull hooks, again a huge surprise. I am a hooker so how is this possible?
With the lower (FCT) my ball flight was more inconsistent with a few low hooks and even push cuts/fades which I contribute to blocking the shots out of fear of the dreaded duck hook. This setting was the hardest to control for me.

While testing the club on the Open ASP my personal observations were:
With the higher (FCT) my ball flight was awesome! Nice straight shots and it had me standing there with my mouth drooling.
With the standard (FCT) I noticed a lower ball flight with somewhat of a distance loss. The ball seemed almost to drop out of the sky? Not sure if it was me getting tired or this setting and I are not on the same page.
With the lower (FCT) my ball flight was mid to low. I noticed more of my shots were low pushes or even a bit of a slice, which is not normally in my wheelhouse.

I realize that my personal observations may not pertain to your individual tendencies but it may jump start someone who was born a hooker. You who were born to fade are on your own. Seriously this is a great little club that is quickly winning over my non fairway wood type heart. I was out on the range a long time today, then played nine holes and although a bit tired, I am in love. TaylorMade has delivered on a quality product with this fairway wood. I have a ton more testing to do, however, today has been an eye opener for me. I had some awkward downhill type lies for some of my shots. I played the ball down the entire time and this club was easy to launch into the air. My wife KellyBo is trying to rip this club out of my hands. It ain’t gonna happen lol. :nono: (Whoops I misspelled a word - my bad!)

Last edited:

When you say shorter shaft, what is the measurement? Is it shorter than 45", or shorter than recent TM drivers?

Back