Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Saturday was the first day that the M4 acted up. I had two approach shots from about 200 into the green, and each shot (no fault of the club) I pull hooked. I'm pretty sure I got way to quick, and came across the ball, but I was sad the Mashie wouldn't correct my swing flaw. We have an extended range session set up for Friday to work all the longer clubs in my bag.

I love the M3 it might be the best club in my bag right now. The M2 and I are in discusions about why he doesn't want to cooperate. If he doesn't smarten up soon he will have to be punished and sent to ash-vegas.

My M2 is in danger of losing its spot too. The M3 just seems to outperform it.

It would be fun to compare the two. Since I paid next to nothing for the M3 and M4 (traded in a bunch of old clubs I don't use anymore and had to pay a total of $21 for those two new) I could probably justify taking a fly-by on the M1. The M5 also intrigues me since the lofts on the TM 2.0s are jacked up so that my 5-iron is really like a 4-iron and that is a recipe for disaster if it's a carry shot over water or gunk or to a significantly elevated green. One of the unexpected dividends with the Mashies has been that to maximize these clubs you have to use a nice tempo which is S-L-O-W-L-Y bleeding over into how I swing my other clubs, resulting in better shots all around as a quick tempo has always been something I fight, especially over pressure shots.

This thread has gotten me to the point that I am VERY seriously considering getting a M2. I have a Titleist 909 3W that I hit very well and a 909 19* that is my 3 iron replacement so I am thinking about getting the M2 to fill the gap between my 3W and 3H but I will have to test it out between the M1 as well as get some solid numbers on my 3W so I can see exactly where my gaps are.

This thread is awesome!!

It would be fun to compare the two. Since I paid next to nothing for the M3 and M4 (traded in a bunch of old clubs I don't use anymore and had to pay a total of $21 for those two new) I could probably justify taking a fly-by on the M1. The M5 also intrigues me since the lofts on the TM 2.0s are jacked up so that my 5-iron is really like a 4-iron and that is a recipe for disaster if it's a carry shot over water or gunk or to a significantly elevated green. One of the unexpected dividends with the Mashies has been that to maximize these clubs you have to use a nice tempo which is S-L-O-W-L-Y bleeding over into how I swing my other clubs, resulting in better shots all around as a quick tempo has always been something I fight, especially over pressure shots.

Great point, Haggis. I think the greatest ah-hah for me with the Mashie is this is the first club I like so much when it behaves that I am really working hard on a smoother tempo and I'm seeing it influence other clubs, especially my irons, with much better results.

so you're looking at a Mashie combo platter of M1 and M3?
My M2 is in danger of losing its spot too. The M3 just seems to outperform it.

It's also helping me with my driver a lot. I'm test driving a C Kua 39 in my driver right now and I can safely say that that thing does not play well with a quick tempo--push/slice right. I can get a little quicker with my current UST shaft but my goal is to get smoother so I'm gonna keep the Kua in play for awhile. May need to consider the 43 series if need be.

Uncle Daddy just purchased an M1 the other day. He hasnt hit it since the outing but I guess loved it that much there.

Uncle Daddy just purchased an M1 the other day. He hasnt hit it since the outing but I guess loved it that much there.

I wonder if it will help him with this type of shot
PGAnational022.jpg

hahaha, lets hope so!

I think somebody standing nearby with a shotgun on the lookout for alligators would help the most on that shot.

I think somebody standing nearby with a shotgun on the lookout for alligators would help the most on that shot.

haha I talked him in to taking that shot. We had no clue where the ball went and the best thing was he didn't have a drop of mud or water on him after. Very impressive

That is. Last time I tried a shot like that it looked like a Rorschach test pattern on my shirt and formerly khaki shorts when I was done. Worst part was the smell from all the additives the Canada geese had deposited into the lake.

I love my M4 to death and the M3 has put me in a real interesting spot lately. 2 of the courses I play have but maybe 3 holes over 475 yards, The rest not a hole over 415 yards and I'm finding that when Im having a decent day striking the ball I am able to be 50-75 yards out typically for my 3rd shot into the green on those 475+ holes, even closer on a few occasions if I really go after my M3. For holes anything around 400 to 425, unless I really flub the tee shot I'm really finding that the M3/M4 are allowing me to get onto the green, pretty close to it, or in some cases over (depending how my aim is that day) in 2.

Needless to say, I am really beginning to question the need for anything in between my driver and M3 based on the courses I typically play. Obviously there are plenty of days where my game is attrocious, but I dunno. At this point I am starting to lean back to buying yet another new driver that is better fit to me since I really need a stiff flex and not the regular that is in my S2 (don't ever get fit for a club while nursing an injury, mistake #1). I'm starting to feel that the money would be better invested there than a 3/4w or M1/M2

Last edited:
I love the M1, its roadhouse off the tee.

Yes sir.

What are the differences to hitting the M1 vs. M2 vs. M3 to you?
I am thinking abut the M3...I hit the M4 very well but not the M2.

It's also helping me with my driver a lot. I'm test driving a C Kua 39 in my driver right now and I can safely say that that thing does not play well with a quick tempo--push/slice right. I can get a little quicker with my current UST shaft but my goal is to get smoother so I'm gonna keep the Kua in play for awhile. May need to consider the 43 series if need be.

I'm leaning to M1/M3 or FL 19/M3/maybe M5 as I just hit the M3 the best in terms of distance/dispersion and it needs to stay int he bag!

Hey Haggis, I had the exact same issue with the 39 driver shaft - bought the XL270 but just could not stop the push/slice (and my driver miss is typically a hook to the point I set adjustable drivers to 1 or 2* open). Was lucky to have Cleveland Demo Day a couple weekends ago and really liked the 59S shaft, but wanted the more forgiving head, so Cleveland built a driver for me with the 290 head and 59 shaft - the Cleveland fitter said this is a relatively popular combo option, so something you may want to consider.

What are the differences to hitting the M1 vs. M2 vs. M3 to you?
I am thinking abut the M3...I hit the M4 very well but not the M2.

Well, the M3 is by far the easiest to hit of the three and most consistent. I used the M1 off the tee quite a lot my last round and only mis hit it once. For me the M2 and M3 are very similar in distance so I may end up taking the M2 out of the bag. The M1 has a longer shaft but so far I havent had too much trouble with that. Id say the M1 is good for 230 ish give a or take a few yards. Im not a long hitter so some are probably seeing even more distance out of it.

Well, the M3 is by far the easiest to hit of the three and most consistent. I used the M1 off the tee quite a lot my last round and only mis hit it once. For me the M2 and M3 are very similar in distance so I may end up taking the M2 out of the bag. The M1 has a longer shaft but so far I havent had too much trouble with that. Id say the M1 is good for 230 ish give a or take a few yards. Im not a long hitter so some are probably seeing even more distance out of it.

like the guy we played with last week:act-up:

Well, I was thinking today about the Mashie. I know how good it is, and I love it! But I was thinking more about this thread, and how I'm not sure if there's ever been a single golf club that has generated this much buzz, interest, and certainly, pondering. Quite a few people have added one Mashie or multiple Mashies to their bags at this point and I think that's wonderful. However, it led me to a completely different thought process and I have a few questions that I would like to pose to those that DON'T have a Mashie:

Is the Mashie on your radar? If so, what's holding you back from pursuing one (style, headcover, price, weight, etc)?

I'm only asking b/c I'm genuinely curious and I'd love to get some feedback on this one.

good questions TC!

The headcover looks awesome, but mine is starting to come unraveled and I've only played 2 rounds and been to the range probably 7 times since I received it. I would never not buy a club due to the headcover, but I'm going to get something different for it and will do the same if I pull the trigger on the m1. I was showing g4l the headcover before we played last weekend, kind of dissappointing but its not a deal breaker by any means. This is a great hybrid!

Just got back from my first range sessions with my new M2 and M3. I had much of the same experience that others have stated. These are anti-right machines, but don't look closed like draw clubs. My worst slice swing was mitigated into a 5 yard fade and I was actually hitting some draws - a completely foreign shot shape to me. I did find like others had mentioned that I had to be much more careful of ball position than with my old Nickent, moving it more to the center of my stance. Using a ball position too far forward led to a worm-burning hook. I found the distance to be ok...I was hitting the M3 10yards or so further than my Burner 2.0 4 iron, and the M2 5-10 further than the M3, so decent gaps. I bought the stiff Miyazaki and probably would have been fine with the regular...awesome shaft though. I don't care much for the thin rubber grips, but given my misadventure in trying to switch them out, I'll leave those be for a while. Very solid hybrid, and a very nice upgrade over my Nickent (which I loved).

I've added two range sessions since the last time I posted (both on grass instead of the mats this time). The Mashies are just awesome off the grass. The ball position issue I was seeing on the mats (where I had to keep the ball more toward the middle of the stance) is not a problem on the grass for me. I can position the ball up where I normally do and the Mashie just eats the ball's face. I think when hitting off the mats, the rails were just causing the club to bounce back up which caused the thin shots...on the grass, the rails just glide right through to the ball. Both the M2 and M3 are incapable of hitting the ball right, which I love them for. I agree with several others that I'm not sure that the yardage gap is big enough to carry both the M2 and M3, but for now I will anyway since I don't need the extra slot. I could understand a M2/M4 combo or a M1/M3 for a bigger gap though. Absolutely the best hybrid I have ever hit, and it required like no break in time for me...just swing the Mashie and "Ball Go Far".

On the radar as I hate my current hybrid. But I've only had a chance to hit about ~20 balls into the net at the store last weekend.

Initial impressions were decent.....essentially, I topped the ball like the first 4-5 times before I adjusted. After that adjustment, things were pretty good although there was probably around 2 more topped shots after that. All in all, my impressions are positive but I need to see this out on the driving range next.

The other problem I have is possibly with the shaft. While I think it's not bad, I had the chance to try out the C.Kua on the Cleveland drivers the same day and hit some great shots into the launch monitor. However, my bad shots were TERRIBLE snap hooks. All in all, I need some more time with the new Clevelands, both on the range and the launch monitor.

An additional complication is I've been hitting these (hybrid, cg16 irons, and drivers) in conjunction with the TM offerings so I want to spend some more time with that. As that's a different topic, I'll just be brief and said that I felt I liked the R11 driver a lot, hated the burner 2.0 (both irons and driver), and haven't had a chance to play the forged irons yet and felt the new rescue to be pretty good.

Getting back to the mashie though, the last thing about it is, it really is quite ugly to my eye at address. That won't affect me as if it performs, it performs, but just getting it out there.

Back