How much does changing grips actually effect your ball numbers?

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought about this last night, and was hoping maybe 2-3 people could try it out.

I know different grips change swingweight, but does it actually effect your numbers? For example: Say you have 2 drivers one with the stock grip (or other grip) then the exact same shaft/driver with a Tour velvet, Multi-compound, winn, etc. on it. Id like to see if there is any change in the numbers when switching from one to the other. Of course a Launch monitor or simulator would have to be used but I think it would be really cool to see if it changes any of the numbers. Spin, clubhead speed, side spin, Launch angle, etc.

If someone can try it with
2 6 irons
2 drivers
That would be great. Make sure the grips dont weigh the same amount as the stock or other grip your trying so you can see if it actually changes. Guessing hit about 10-15 balls(make sure to use the same 10-15 balls) with each club then get the averages and compare.

Last edited:
That's a really good idea Bridges, I wonder if there is any other effect other than comfort.

Would you want the grips to have the same thickness, or different thicknesses? Maybe I can get Mr. Blind 9 to do this and report back. I think he's thinking about changing a grip on a club - but I can't remember which one. Ha ha.

That would be very interesting. I just went from Golf Pride dual compound grips on all of my clubs to some Winn Lite Hero grips mainly for feel reasons but it would be interesting to see if there are any differences in the numbers due to the change.

I have done this with my driver. I put a Mid-Sized grip on my Burner TP and other than the comfort factor the extra weight in the grip seemed to balance out the club better. I was able to swing harder and still feel in control with the new heavier grip.

Would you want the grips to have the same thickness, or different thicknesses? Maybe I can get Mr. Blind 9 to do this and report back. I think he's thinking about changing a grip on a club - but I can't remember which one. Ha ha.

Ya, same size grips. Guess it would also be interesting to see if there is any changes going from a standard size to midsize to..

I have done this with my driver. I put a Mid-Sized grip on my Burner TP and other than the comfort factor the extra weight in the grip seemed to balance out the club better. I was able to swing harder and still feel in control with the new heavier grip.
But did your numbers change? Not really caring about what the weight of the club or if the grip makes it heavier, or a better feel just purely numbers from a Launch monitor or simulator is what im looking for here.

I would think no amateur player could be consistent enough to discern any clear differences a grip change could have on ball flight, the variables are just too small.

Bridges here's my 2 cents.

Obviously if you were to switch to a lighter grip like a Winn Lite that should change your numbers but I think it would be on a fairly small scale. I don't know that similar weight grips with just different textures would change anything.

Another way grips can alter your shot is the size of the grip. I played midsize for quite a while and fight a hook at times. So I built up my midsize to a jumbo and that seems to have helped my hands from rolling over too quickly. Hope this helps a little.

I switched from stock Callaway to winn lite on all my clubs (see sig. they haven't changed) last year dropping 30 grams in the process. I'm pretty sure 30 grams is right, it was 58g stock and 27g with the winn lites if I'm remembering correctly. I saw zero difference in ball flight or distance. Makes you wonder about the whole "go liter, go faster, go farther" hype.

I would think no amateur player could be consistent enough to discern any clear differences a grip change could have on ball flight, the variables are just too small.

Thats my whole point of reasoning behind asking this. To see if a grip change is enough to change numbers for the average golfer. Whether there a 2 handicap or 25 handicap. If we could determine that a grip change only effects swingweight and not numbers/or barley noticeable of the club its one less thing for us to worry about other than trying to get the swingweight close to what it was if we choose so.

Obviously if you were to switch to a lighter grip like a Winn Lite that should change your numbers but I think it would be on a fairly small scale. I don't know that similar weight grips with just different textures would change anything.

Another way grips can alter your shot is the size of the grip. I played midsize for quite a while and fight a hook at times. So I built up my midsize to a jumbo and that seems to have helped my hands from rolling over too quickly. Hope this helps a little.

To the part in red. Thats what I want to find out though, instead of assuming it will change, I was hoping someone could actually get hard numbers on it.

To the part in bold. You didnt read the OP very good haha. No not same weight of grips, completely different weights. EX: grip A weigh 30 grams grip B weigh 45 grams.

Ya, same size grips. Guess it would also be interesting to see if there is any changes going from a standard size to midsize to..

But did your numbers change? Not really caring about what the weight of the club or if the grip makes it heavier, or a better feel just purely numbers from a Launch monitor or simulator is what im looking for here.

No I didn't have the launch monitor available when I did this sorry.

Thats my whole point of reasoning behind asking this. To see if a grip change is enough to change numbers for the average golfer. Whether there a 2 handicap or 25 handicap. If we could determine that a grip change only effects swingweight and not numbers/or barley noticeable of the club its one less thing for us to worry about other than trying to get the swingweight close to what it was if we choose so.

To the part in red. Thats what I want to find out though, instead of assuming it will change, I was hoping someone could actually get hard numbers on it.

To the part in bold. You didnt read the OP very good haha. No not same weight of grips, completely different weights. EX: grip A weigh 30 grams grip B weigh 45 grams.

Haha! Sorry I am doing some serious multitasking right now. I don't have a firm numbers which I know thats what you are after but going to a lighter grip should increase club speed and launch angle.

Interesting idea, too bad I don't have the ability to test this.

I may be different for different golfers though. I believe going to a lighter grip makes the swing weight higher and that could be either good or bad depending on the golfer.

This will be fun to watch.

Did the midsize grip change your ball flight or anything? I was asking someomne at Golfsmith the other day about grip size and how it would effect me. I have small hands and a midsize grip feels better. I would like to know if it makes a difference though!

This is what I just asked. So a thicker grip would promote a slice/fade?

Did the midsize grip change your ball flight or anything? I was asking someomne at Golfsmith the other day about grip size and how it would effect me. I have small hands and a midsize grip feels better. I would like to know if it makes a difference though!

Im not trying to be a jerk here, but you think you could pm him or start a thread? Dont want this one to change over into size of grips thread. Dont mean to be a D*** but really wanted to keep this about the topic. Thank you!

Not so much a fade but it did help dial down the hook that I fight and bring me back around to a straighter flight. Again I went from a midsize to jumbo. I am a big dude with big hands. General rule of thumb is that for a right handed player with the grip in you left hand the tips of your middle and ring finger should just touch the muscle below your thumb.

Sorry Bridges. I replied right before I saw your post.

I like your idea about the testing Bridges. I would do some testing in my store but unfortunately we can't change any of the grips on demo clubs etc.

Personally I get the idea of the lighter grips but I can't stand the feel of any Winn grips. I play New Decades on all my clubs and love them.

I like your idea about the testing Bridges. I would do some testing in my store but unfortunately we can't change any of the grips on demo clubs etc.

Personally I get the idea of the lighter grips but I can't stand the feel of any Winn grips. I play New Decades on all my clubs and love them.

What about taking your R9 6 iron and finding a R9 6 iron at the store the comparing?

That's a really good idea Bridges, I wonder if there is any other effect other than comfort.

I've always wondered the same thing. I was fit for all my clubs and ordered them with a specific grip from Ping so when I replace, I just use the same grip.

What about taking your R9 6 iron and finding a R9 6 iron at the store the comparing?

I see what you are saying. We do have one in our fitting cart that is pretty close to my specs. The grip comparison would be my New Decade compared to I believe the old GP tour wrap. Would that work?

I'm not a physics major or anything, so I could be wrong, but lets consider this...

Take your example of two grips with 15 grams of weight difference. I assume adding 15g of weight on the club head would make a much more significant difference in swing weight than adding 15g of weight under your hands. When I swing a golf club, I "feel" the end of the shaft and the head.

Or consider this: Think about swinging a golf club with a 1lb (~454 grams) glove on your hand, it probably wouldn't make much difference in your swing, I know it wouldn't in mine. Now add 1lb of weight to the head of your driver... it would be a mess, you get my drift.

Or how about this: Do you wear a watch when you play? I do, sometimes. Putting a watch on would theoretically make as much, if not more, difference in my golf swing than changing to a lighter grip.

My point is that the extremely small amount of weight that grips can account for won't impact a swing very much due to their location in the golf swing.

EDIT: Btw, I do realize you're simply looking for some hard numbers which I can definitely appreciate because it's an interesting discussion, made more-so by the advertising of Winn, etc. I'm just trying to understand the impact it might have without relying on the inconsistent golf swing of someone like myself. :act-up:

I see what you are saying. We do have one in our fitting cart that is pretty close to my specs. The grip comparison would be my New Decade compared to I believe the old GP tour wrap. Would that work?

PM me a picture of what the grip looks like so I can find the specs on it and see if there different weights. I know the midsize new decade is 59 grams.

Back