Daily Job Commute

My commute takes me about an hour and a half. I live about an hour's drive away, but I take the train into the city...gas and parking costs way more than train tickets, plus the relaxation of the train beats the stress of rush-hour driving any day.

I'm about 2.5 miles from work and a 8 minute drive. Hopefully I'll hop on the bike when the warm weather arrives.

My drive is ~17 miles one way. I get to work in about 17 minutes since I'm in the office by 5:30am. The drive home takes a little bit longer since there's considerably more traffic when I leave the office @ 4pm, but I still get home within 25 minutes.

Last edited:
1.8 miles... it takes me 10 minutes on the bus.

Traffic is silly, when i used to work at a summer camp, I could get there in 12 minutes in the morning before traffic, but then in the afternoon it would take upwards 60-90 minutes to get home, depending on the number of goombas who crunched from being too aggressive.

Strange fact: Listening to Pink Floyd would keep me AWAKE during those long commutes, but also keep me nice and calm.

From my house to my office is about 15 minutes. I usually start work around 5:30am-6am so there are few cars on the road.

I've got a 35-55 minute drive in and about a 45-hour drive home. Its 31 miles one way. But in Denver I'm going with traffic both ways on I-25. If I leave for work by 5:30am I'm averaging 75-85 on the northern parts of I-25 and I still get passed like I'm standing still but I make it around 35 minutes. On the way home there is no way to avoid traffic. I would love to live closer but when I bought our house it was about 35% less expensive then a comparable house within 20 miles of where I work.

It takes me about 30 seconds in the car, and 30 seconds to walk from my car to the door. In all, it's four blocks. As a side note, 4 blocks is also about 1/4 of the length of my town. If i wasn't wearing a suit every day, I'd probably walk more often.

I leave around 5:30 am each morning, so traffic is light but it is double in the afternoon drive home, so I'm a few minutes longer coming home each day, but I'm lucky to avoid the real "rush hour" at each end of the day.

For school I drive downtown, so it's about a half an hour trip. When traffic is really bad it turns into an hour.

work is 14 mies from home. Leave my house around 6:00 am and usually in the offce by 6:20 including picng up a coffee. Going home can be a either 20 minutes or 35 dependng on the traffic.

I have a 4mi commute (8mi round trip). It's an 8-10 minute drive into the parking lot, then a 1/4 mile walk up to the building I work. I'd ride my bike except for the backroads to work I don't feel that they are entirely safe (see crime). So needless to say I drive in.

Before I changed jobs I was driving about a 30mi round trip. I pretty much am down to buying gas once a month now.

I am 2.5 miles away from my office.

Walk: Approx. 40 min.
Bike: Approx. 15 min.
Bus (plus walk): Approx. 35 min.
EL (Plus walk): Approx. 35 min.
Cab: 10-50 minutes depending on traffic.

35 minute drive for me through rural Oklahoma, its just long enough to be really nice and a good way to clear the old noggin after a days work.

I've got a commute and its a BAD one!!! That's why I vanpool. I leave at 6:30am, get to work at 7:30am. Its 35 miles one way, 70 miles round trip. My afternoon rides I leave at 5pm and don't get home until around 6:30pm or so. I've got LONG days everyday :crying: Traffic is HORRIBLE on the way home.

My drive is 23 miles and it takes about 25 minutes. Im hoping to move from the country to the city soon and either have a much shorter commute or have the option of public transportation.

I've got a commute and its a BAD one!!! That's why I vanpool. I leave at 6:30am, get to work at 7:30am. Its 35 miles one way, 70 miles round trip. My afternoon rides I leave at 5pm and don't get home until around 6:30pm or so. I've got LONG days everyday :crying: Traffic is HORRIBLE on the way home.

The commutes in SoCal have gotten even worse since I've lived there. I lived in Fontana and worked in La Palma - a 48.5 mile drive. It took only an hour to get to work at 6am, but it would take 1 1/2 hours to get home. On a Friday night forget it - it would take 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get home. I would just stop by my parents house in Anaheim and have dinner with them and head home around 8pm. I can't even imagine what the commute would be be nowadays!

The commutes in SoCal have gotten even worse since I've lived there. I lived in Fontana and worked in La Palma - a 48.5 mile drive. It took only an hour to get to work at 6am, but it would take 1 1/2 hours to get home. On a Friday night forget it - it would take 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get home. I would just stop by my parents house in Anaheim and have dinner with them and head home around 8pm. I can't even imagine what the commute would be be nowadays!

The commute is a huge PITA!!! Especially on the westside, people are mean and rude and traffic is is bad :nono: Mondays are the best days...I get home closer to 6:15pm on those days haa haa...Wednesday on it just gets worse and worse.

Around here we depend on our freeway systems, if there's an accident or road closure or the President in town, its worse than worse. I've gotten home sometimes around 8pm. When the 405/101 interchange had a crane fall, it took me 3 hours just to get off of campus, BAD!!! Now the President doesn't block the streets or cause major road closures when he's in town now :sweat:

It takes me 30 minutes or so in the morning and 40 to get home. This is Mexico City though, when traffic gets bad due to rain or a long weekend, the 40 minutes can quickly turn into a couple hours.

Don't miss commuting to an office 5 days a week. I work from home and pray I never have to go back to having to drive to an office.

It only takes me 15 minutes to get to work.

Just Tap It In. Just Tap It In.

The commute to work in the morning has never really been that bad.... normally 15 minutes. On the way home, it usually takes a good 20-25 minutes. In the winter it is the worst. It can take up to 40 minutes to get home some days which is REALLY bad.

I don't exactly have a normal commute. I leave the house and I could be going anywhere. The shortest is maybe a couple miles, but I've gone 75 to 80 miles too. That's in the K.C. area. Sometimes my commute is to Tulsa, OK or Omaha or Lincoln NE, then the same thing as I mentioned at the beginning. I can drive 15 to 20 miles in a day or I can drive a couple hundred or more just going form appointment to appointment. Let's put it this way, I've put about 15,000 miles on a car I've had since the middle of October. So about 5 months.

My best commute was when I worked for the printing company. I lived at the end of a dead end street that if you kept on walking, you'd go through a small wooded area and be in my work's parking lot. My place was on the far end of the parking lot, but I could walk to work in two minutes maybe. When I drove, I drove one block west, one block north and two blocks east and I'd be at work. My rush hour was if I had to wait for any cars at the stop sign when I was turning east!

We have 25 miles to get to work and it takes about 30 minutes. I usually drive in with my husband since we work together. Sometimes we drive separately due to kids schedules, dr appts, etc. It is not that bad of a drive. We drive up 195 and across SR 528 over the Banana and Indian River lagoons. Not everyone has the nice water views that I do at the end part of my commute.

We have 25 miles to get to work and it takes about 30 minutes. I usually drive in with my husband since we work together. Sometimes we drive separately due to kids schedules, dr appts, etc. It is not that bad of a drive. We drive up 195 and across SR 528 over the Banana and Indian River lagoons. Not everyone has the nice water views that I do at the end part of my commute.

I wish I had a view. Nothing but corn in the summer and nothing but ice, snow and freezing rain in the winter...lol

Back