3 Club Scramble - Which Clubs to Bring?

bumpnrun

Reaction score
Handicap
A local course just announced a 4 person scramble tournament where each player is only allowed to carry and play 3 clubs (no sharing). Sounds fun, but what 3 clubs would you bring and how would you pick your team?

It is a short course (5400 yards) I would probably carry a wood (3 or 5), a 6 iron (I can actually putt pretty well with it) and a wedge.

I'd probably take a hybrid of some sort, 6 or 7 iron and a 54 or 56 degree wedge. Hybrid is great off the tee and longer shots (par fives) 7 iron would be enough to get me around from the fairway and the wedge would be perfect for getting up and down around the green. Putting would be the toughest part though, have to belly that wedge or something.

Edit: dang - littlepingman has the exact same idea as me and beat me to it!

A Niblick.
I saw some guy on youtube play an entire hole/course with just a niblick.

Thats kind of rough. I would want to carry a putter but then it would only leave me 2 other clubs. Tough choice.

Id probably go 3 hybrid, 6 iron and a wedge in the 54-56 range.

I would carry my 3 hybrid (for long shots and putting) my 7 iron and my 56* wedge.

A local course just announced a 4 person scramble tournament where each player is only allowed to carry and play 3 clubs (no sharing). Sounds fun, but what 3 clubs would you bring and how would you pick your team?

It is a short course (5400 yards) I would probably carry a wood (3 or 5), a 6 iron (I can actually putt pretty well with it) and a wedge.

I would do similar to you - 5 wood, 6 or 7 iron, and a PW (or sand wedge depending on the course and distance with it).

concur with above...
3H, 7I, 54* SW

I putt with my 3H personally...flatter face...

3 hybrid, 6 iron, SW, I also would putt with the SW, by blading the ball.

Mashie, Mashie, Niblick

3 hybrid, 6 iron, SW, I also would putt with the SW, by blading the ball.

I like my wedge as well... I use more a ho-ing technique with it to really flatten that face :D

i would choose your team first, then go from there. i would then determine who is the most consistent off the tee, let that person use their most consistent club off the tee. then from there you gauge which irons you guys will likely use into the greens. What are the par 3 distances, i think this is where you would want to go next.

What about the team? Should the biggest hitter bring a driver and the best putter bring a putter?

Sounds like you've got it pretty well figured out Bump. Good luck and have fun!

I'd rock out with my 4h, 7 iron, and 50* wedge.

Probably a good idea to gather a team with people of different strengths. Have a good driver carry longer clubs, a good iron player have his favorite 1 or 2, a short game master with their special wedge, and a putting extraordinaire.

3 hybrid, 8 iron, 52 degree

As others have said, I would select clubs based on the strengths of each person on the team. If it was just an individual effort, I'd probably opt for a 3 hybrid, a 9 iron or PW and a SW.

I'd say 3h(19*), 7 iron and GW/SW depending on comfort. Sounds like fun, I've always wanted to do something like this, but no short courses left!

3 wood, 7 iron and a putter. I seem to be alone in bringing a putter. I'd rather have the consistency of a flatstick vs putting with a hybrid or wedge. 3W will get me everywhere off the tee and anywhere ~200. 7I I can tag the green from 175 in and bump/run with it.

I'd bring my 2 hybrid for tee shots and 2nd shots on the par 5's, a 6 or 7 iron (you can always take something off the shot) and a 9 or pw. Sand and lob wedges would be too much loft to be used outside of 100 yards in my opinion.

22° hybrid, 8I and 51° wedge. I putt just fine with the hybrid after a brief warm-up, and I can play my GW acceptably out of greenside bunkers as well as chip, and play from 100 yards in. With only 3 clubs, taking a putter is too limiting.

However, in a four man scramble, it's nice if the guy with the best normal tee shot on your team carries a driver. That puts the team in a good position off the tee on a lot of holes.

I'd ask my teammates what they were bringing and try to fill in gaps in clubs. It's a scramble so there's no rule that you can't share clubs. :D

^^ Skimmer... In the first post he said no club sharing.

For a 5400 yard course I'd rock my M3, 8i & 56* SW.

i would choose your team first, then go from there. i would then determine who is the most consistent off the tee, let that person use their most consistent club off the tee. then from there you gauge which irons you guys will likely use into the greens. What are the par 3 distances, i think this is where you would want to go next.

http://www.beaupregc.com/frames.html

The holes I think about are 2 (300 yard par 4 with water from 50 yards in) and 6 (short par 3 with no room for error).

I would use my 3 wood, 7 iron and my putter.

Back