Johny Miller's Thoughts on the Young Guns

As an up and coming player my aspirations for golf are very high but not Tiger/Jack high. I want to be able to win here in the US and in Europe and if a major happens so be it but I would just love the chance to play on some courses that some of the greats have played such as pebble, augusta, pinehurst. If I were ever able become pro and if nationwide I would love to play in every tournament possible and just give the crowd who comes out a great show.

I personally wouldn't just play the majors, getting 18 majors is not something I'm after.

If everybody had those tools back in the day, there would have been more good golfers.

Is that a quetion or a statement?

Johnny Miller is one of the most overrated golfers of all time. Only reason people listen to him is that he does commentary on NBC. I would much rather listen to Faldo, since he actually won tournaments. Johnny Miller thinks that there is too much emphasis on the majors because he only won 2. Padrig Harrington has more major wins than he does.

I fear your dislike of Johnny Miller may be clouding your judgement, but why lest facts get in the way? Saying Johnny Miller is the most overrated golfer of all time is silly. He won 25 times on the PGA tour including 8 times in 1974. At 26 he won the U.S. Open by shooting 63 in the final round at Oakmont, considered maybe the best U.S. Open round ever played. Faldo won just 6 times on the PGA Tour, and 3 of those are wins in The Masters. Faldo won 27 times on the Euro Tour, which includes 3 Open Championships. when the quality of golf played there was inferior to the golf played on that tour right now.

Both have around 7 "non-tour" wins around the world.

They were both great golfers, and while majors are always an important measuring stick for golf greatness, I would say Miller's career stacks up well with Faldo's. Miller was an unbelievable ball striker in his day, and many who know more about golf than anyone that has ever posted on this site feel that for a five year period he may have been the greatest ball striker of all time.

Overrated he is not.

Kevin

We can agree to disagree.

I just really think that Miller is way off base with this. Part of the reason why younger players are not winning as much, may be due to the fact that they are young. Golf history is littered with great golfers who did not win right away. We focus on the young players because they're in ads and showed in commercials. We expect to see them win because we see them the most. Truth is that we see them the most because their face sells more product. Looking at Anthony Kim, Dustin Johnson, Paul Casey, or Rickie Fowler is a lot less freightning than looking at Lee Westwood and his British teeth.

Is that a quetion or a statement?

A fact.

I fear your dislike of Johnny Miller may be clouding your judgement, but why lest facts get in the way? Saying Johnny Miller is the most overrated golfer of all time is silly. He won 25 times on the PGA tour including 8 times in 1974. At 26 he won the U.S. Open by shooting 63 in the final round at Oakmont, considered maybe the best U.S. Open round ever played. Faldo won just 6 times on the PGA Tour, and 3 of those are wins in The Masters. Faldo won 27 times on the Euro Tour, which includes 3 Open Championships. when the quality of golf played there was inferior to the golf played on that tour right now.

Both have around 7 "non-tour" wins around the world.

They were both great golfers, and while majors are always an important measuring stick for golf greatness, I would say Miller's career stacks up well with Faldo's. Miller was an unbelievable ball striker in his day, and many who know more about golf than anyone that has ever posted on this site feel that for a five year period he may have been the greatest ball striker of all time.

Overrated he is not.

Kevin

I said that he was one of the, not the most overrated. I can think that he is overrated. My choice.

We can agree to disagree.

When in Rome. (I'm Ron Burgundy?)

I just really think that Miller is way off base with this. Part of the reason why younger players are not winning as much, may be due to the fact that they are young. Golf history is littered with great golfers who did not win right away. We focus on the young players because they're in ads and showed in commercials. We expect to see them win because we see them the most. Truth is that we see them the most because their face sells more product. Looking at Anthony Kim, Dustin Johnson, Paul Casey, or Rickie Fowler is a lot less freightning than looking at Lee Westwood and his British teeth.

Actually I think he pretty much pegged it with that statement. A young flashy player sells...bottom line. So when those are the faces being thrusted into the publics view then naturally people expect to see them perform well.

I said that he was one of the, not the most overrated. I can think that he is overrated. My choice.

It most certainly is your choice. A bad one in my opinion, but it is yours.

Kevin

Don't take all this so personal bluegold. You have the right to your opinion and I have the right to mine. The fact remains that JM is more than qualified to share his opinion as well. Thousands of former tour players would love to have his career totals.

It most certainly is your choice. A bad one in my opinion, but it is yours.

Kevin

Don't get me wrong, I think Johnny Miller was really good. For me he is not one of the all-time- greats, he's one of the all-time-really-goods.

Don't take all this so personal bluegold. You have the right to your opinion and I have the right to mine. The fact remains that JM is more than qualified to share his opinion as well. Thousands of former tour players would love to have his career totals.

Trust me, I haven't taken any of this personally. Nobody has said anything to change my mind in the slightest.

I just take immediate issue when a former professional athlete complains in any way about how much money current professional athletes make.

Back