Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

Thanks to the reviews on this forum about the new Cleveland equipment (Ultralite Drivers, FL Fairway Woods and Mashies) and especially the information on the Miyazaki shafts, I recently changed to all Cleveland (from TM). I have the XL 270 Draw Driver, 17 Degree 3 Wood and #2 & #4 Mashies. I may still be in the honeymoon period but I have hit more good shots with each the last three weeks than I had hit with my TM equipment since last fall. Living in sunny Tucson I get to play 6 times per month. I am finding each club to go farther, straighter and easier to hit. I believe it has a lot to do with the Miyazaki shafts. I am fairly new to reading THP everyday and do not post unless I have something worth saying. But to add to the thread on testers, it was those reviews that led me to make my recent Cleveland purchases. Cleveland does not have the "name" that the other guys have. But the insightful reviews made me take a second look -- and I am glad I did.

Thats a sweet haul man. Congrats on all the new gear and look forward to seeing some more post.

My son came to our course's demo day today and our rep put him on the launch monitor. He was hitting his Diablo driver with a carry of 259 average. After a little bit of testing and fitting, he was fitted to the TL310 9° stiff shaft and was carrying it an average of 278 yards. He has the smoothest swing and doesn't even go back that far. He also fell in love with the 15° 3 wood with the 59g shaft and the CG16 tour irons. His order has been placed.

Now there's a swing! KellyBo, is that the C.Kua 59 shaft they put in the 3 wood? I had Cleveland put that shaft on the 290 driver head because I hit the heaviest shaft better but wanted the extra forigveness of that head - I wanted to do the same for a FL 17 or 19 but didn't see that shaft on the option list in the Cleveland website and was just going to ask if anyone's done that here before calling Cleveland. Thanks.

Now there's a swing! KellyBo, is that the C.Kua 59 shaft they put in the 3 wood? I had Cleveland put that shaft on the 290 driver head because I hit the heaviest shaft better but wanted the extra forigveness of that head - I wanted to do the same for a FL 17 or 19 but didn't see that shaft on the option list in the Cleveland website and was just going to ask if anyone's done that here before calling Cleveland. Thanks.

Yes, it will have the c. kua 59g shaft in both the driver and 3 FW. I didn't realize it was an option for the FW but the rep specifically pointed out that is what he would get.

Note: I updated the video as I posted the wrong one initially. The first one I posted and just deleted was of him hitting his Diablo driver. It has now been updated with the TL310 driver.

Last edited:
Yes, it will have the c. kua 59g shaft in both the driver and 3 FW. I didn't realize it was an option for the FW but the rep specifically pointed out that is what he would get.

Note: I updated the video as I posted the wrong one initially. The first one I posted and just deleted was of him hitting his Diablo driver. It has now been updated with the TL310 driver.

Great to know, KellyBo, thanks for confirming. Definitely prefer to have the same shaft in driver and FL - one more order coming Cleveland's way!

I have been playing the first Launcher for years with a X flex VTLT shaft. I took some time to hit the new offerings today. While I dont recall the exact spin and launch #'s I did write down the following..

My numbers with my driver were:

107 CHS
158 Ball Speed
240 yards carry
273 total

( I launch the ball at VERY low angle but also have very low spin)

My numbers with the XL270 were:

108 CHS
160 Ball Speed
239 Carry
254 Total

This club just spun way too much. I hit the stiff flex 39 gram shaft.

My numbers with the XL290 were:

107 CHS
159 Ball Speed
249 carry
271 total

I did not hit the the 310. I enjoyed the sound and feel of the 290. I think the added carry of the club would be something I might want to look at. I will say that when hit on the screws my driver seems to have a other gear that I have not found elsewhere. I will likley pick up a 290 just to compare with my current driver on the course.

Is cleveland allowing the shaft that is standard on say the 270 or 290 to be put in the 310 and vis versa?

I am wondering as I seem to like having a heavier club head so maybe if I put the lighter shaft in the 310 or something along those lines might work for me.

Yes, I have not been fitted at all yet and I have not even hit these drivers....but I would like to know ahead of time what my options are.

Played my fourth round with the new Cleveland equipment with Miyazaki shafts and continue to be very impressed. I have the XL270 draw driver, 17 degree 3 wood, and #2 and #4 Mashies. Good hits with any and all are better than the TMs they replaced. Bad hits seem mitigated by the Miyzaki shafts. I am hitting everything straighter and longer with good trajectory. Shot 80 today which is good for me (3 putted #18 to miss my 79) as a 15 handicapper. My confidence is growing every time I pull one of these out of my bag!

I spent a couple of hours at Golftown hitting most of the new drivers (second session - first was a month ago)

I am a slow swinger (90mph swingspeed, 130 mph ballspeed,) with smooth tempo. Usually hit most (75%) of the fairways.

Tried out the 270, 290, G15, Razr, Octane, SuperTri & 910D2 drivers all in their stock Reg shafts.

Straightest were the Clevelands and Razr. 910 dispersed both right and left for me. Thought it would be more consistent given it has a 45" shaft.

The 270 and 290 were the longest with the Razr very close behind. But the difference between them all (excluding the Supertri) would not be more than 4 or 5 yards.

Supertri was short even after playing around with the settings a bit. Prob due to the shaft not fitting my swing.

Spin and launch varied a bit but were similar for all of them except for the 270.

When comparing the 270 and 290 the total distance was allmost identical. Same with ballspeed and spin. However the 270 launced a few degrees higher (13* vs 11*) than the 290. On the launch monitor the 270 therefore carried further (about 4 yards on average) but rolled out less than the 290. The 290 rolled out more for the same total yardage.

However I am not convinced that may happen out on the course. Maybe I will find the 270 launches way too high and I should have gone with the 290. I will have to try them outdoors to really decide wich is best. (I found the same with the Razr and Octane with the Octane launching higher but giving close to the same total yardage)

The grip on the 270 is definitely different. It feels a size smaller and takes a few swings to get used to.

The G15, Razr, Octane, 270 and 290 are all good drivers for my swingspeed. Tough to chose one without being outdoors.

i read an early comment awhile ago about the grips on the Launcher Ultralite fairway woods saying that changing out the stock grips would be difficult because of the larger-than-standard butt size on the shafts. (not to mention a new grip would add about 15-20g of weight and alter the balance of the club a little)... because of large hands and long fingers, i would need to upsize the grips to a midsize. anyone have any problems changing grips on the fairways yet? would most standard Golf Pride grips fit on these shafts?

i read an early comment awhile ago about the grips on the Launcher Ultralite fairway woods saying that changing out the stock grips would be difficult because of the larger-than-standard butt size on the shafts. (not to mention a new grip would add about 15-20g of weight and alter the balance of the club a little)... because of large hands and long fingers, i would need to upsize the grips to a midsize. anyone have any problems changing grips on the fairways yet? would most standard Golf Pride grips fit on these shafts?

I don't really know. Maybe you can shoot an email to Cleveland or Miyazaki?

Read the FW review on the front page...like what im hearing on this line but have a few questions for the folks that own it. I will be testing one out hopefully this weekend. Im looking to replace my 5 wood.

How does the FW compare to the last few Cleveland lines (DST and 09 Launcher)?

How does it stack up distance and ease of use off the deck vs other brands current offerings?

I too am a bit curious on changing the grips effecting the balance...ill make sure to ask on that and report on the shops reply.

It has a far better shaft than the previous lines.

As for the grip, any change in grip weight will alter the swing weight. It might affect you and it might not, it depends on the person.

Any more thoughts on these drivers? Contemplating picking up the SL 290.

Any more thoughts on these drivers? Contemplating picking up the SL 290.

I was in my normal golf shop i visit and buy 99% of my golf balls and tees and get my clubs gripped their talking to the head guy and he said he has been to a couple demo days in the last month and the new cleveland drivers have been giving everybody the best numbers out of all the OEMS so far, he said on average everybody he watched hitting on the LM was getting 4-5mph more ballspeed with them, said the only thing that beat that out was the Zstar which he plays and thats what i play as well. These have to be good lol

I love my launcher fl 3 wood, best 3 wood I ever hit!! And yes I wasted 2 grips regripping this club, its a pita!!!

What did everyone at the outing thing of these drivers?

Some really interesting testing has been going on with the Fairway Woods from this line recently. Launch monitor testing and we will have full results coming up soon.

Some really interesting testing has been going on with the Fairway Woods from this line recently. Launch monitor testing and we will have full results coming up soon.

Very cool. I know someone who's a TM staffer, but will not put the R11 3 wood they sent him in the bag over his Cleveland. He just has the R11 headcover over the Cleveland.

I would fight someone big time over my Cleveland fairway woods!

i love love my cleveland 3 wood!!!! easiest 3 wood i ever hit!!!

Back