3 Club Scramble - Which Clubs to Bring?

I agree with the team make up around the stregenths of the players, If you have a bomber, let him bring driver and hit first that way there is no pressure on him to hit the fairway. If you have a lights out putter you are crazy if he does not bring a putter, who ever is the best putter with what ever club they are having to putt with can putt 1st to give him a semi read, then let him go about his business. Someone must bring the apporpriate club for each of the par threes and again let them hit first so they don't feel the pressuse of having to hit a great shot. Fill in distance gaps from there and have fun.

3 club tourny....now that's tough. I've played in my associations 5 club tournament and you at least have a few options. I would choose the iron that will get you on most par 3's. Knowing how far you hit that club, my next decision would be from the tee and what you can hit consistently to that same iron distance. Lastly, it would still be my putter. I've tried putting with irons for this purpose and it just doesn't work for me. Good luck though and let us know what you game and how it turns out!

I play in a charity tournament every year that just allows one club. I always play with my 7 iron. With a little practice you can deloft it off the tee and fan it open around the greens. I am always amazed at how well people shoot with just one club. Most people are within a few strokes of their average.

hyb, pw, putter

I would go with 3 hybrid, 7 iron and PW. I can putt pretty good with a hybrid

I'd ask my teammates what they were bringing and try to fill in gaps in clubs. It's a scramble so there's no rule that you can't share clubs. :D

Why do people think that just because it's a scramble that they throw out the rule book?

Why do people think that just because it's a scramble that they throw out the rule book?

Because that's what usually happens?

I agree with the below. However it seems to me that scrambles are won on the greens. I would definitely have at least two and probably four putters. Getting TO the green should be easy. Getting ON a little more difficult. Getting IN - priceless.

i would choose your team first, then go from there. i would then determine who is the most consistent off the tee, let that person use their most consistent club off the tee. then from there you gauge which irons you guys will likely use into the greens. What are the par 3 distances, i think this is where you would want to go next.

Not in the scrambles I play in. My Men's club has one this weekend, and aside from the necessary modification of all players hitting from the location of the chosen ball, all other rules are in play. We even make the stipulation that if the chosen ball lies in a hazard (water or bunker), that ball must be played as it lies. The player whose ball it is cannot move it or improve his lie. We still try to keep the game as close to real golf as we can while still getting the advantage and fun of a scramble.

I agree with the below. However it seems to me that scrambles are won on the greens. I would definitely have at least two and probably four putters. Getting TO the green should be easy. Getting ON a little more difficult. Getting IN - priceless.

It doesn't help though if you gain strokes on the green, then give them back just trying to get to the next one. :confused2:

If you try to make up the equivalent of one bag from 4 players each with 3 clubs, then you limit yourself to just one "correct" club for any given shot. Better to try to weigh your selections heavier on the shots that you may face most often, and that is dictated by the course.

I'd definitely be in the group that thinks a putter is a necessity. So i'd say a 3 hybrid, PW, putter

3 hybrid, 6 iron, and a PW. Two of my friends always play each other for money and only use 8 iron. They both usually shoot 73-77 on the Belleview Biltmore from the tips. It always amazes me. They putt with an 8 iron as if it's no different than a putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would take my
1. R9 3 Wood
2. 7 Iron
3. 52° Wedge

I agree with this choice of clubs except I would bring my 18 degree hybrid, all other clubs are the same. Three clubs matches are a must, it really make you think. Great topic!

At 5,400 yards, I'd carry my 2 hybrid, 7 iron and sand wedge.

Rule 4-4 does allow for the sharing of clubs between partners as long as the total number of clubs doesn't exceed 14.

Except that the OP said the rues for the tournament specifically prohibited it.

For me, it would definately be Mashie, 8-iron, and putter. You may not get home in 2 on the par 5's, but you should be safe the rest of the round. You really have to look at your length, and how comfortable you are with different clubs as you will most likely be hitting several 1/2-3/4 shots into the greens.

I'd have to pick my Driver just because my tee shot is very important to me, then I'd bring like a 8 iron or 9 iron for my approach shots, and my putter because that is where i would make up a lot of strokes.

For me, it would definately be Mashie, 8-iron, and putter. You may not get home in 2 on the par 5's, but you should be safe the rest of the round. You really have to look at your length, and how comfortable you are with different clubs as you will most likely be hitting several 1/2-3/4 shots into the greens.

You are aware that pretty much nobody knows what you are talking about when you say "mashie"? At least it means nothing to me. Those club names were history long before I took up the game, and I've been playing for 40 years.

You are aware that pretty much nobody knows what you are talking about when you say "mashie"? At least it means nothing to me. Those club names were history long before I took up the game, and I've been playing for 40 years.

You are aware that there is a HUGE thread about the Mashie hybrid on this forum? Almost everyone here knows what he is talking about.

Really? I know exactly what he means when he says Mashie. Where have you been for the last year?

You are aware that there is a HUGE thread about the Mashie hybrid on this forum? Almost everyone here knows what he is talking about.

What can I say - I'm not an equipment junkie. You will find that I rarely post in the equipment forum and I never enter any of the contests. All I know is that back in the day a mashie was a 5I.

From Wikipedia:

Woods:

* Brassie: 2-Wood
* Spoon: Higher-Lofted Wood
* Baffing Spoon: Approach Wood

Irons:

* Cleek: 2 Iron
* Mid Mashie: 3 Iron
* Mashie Iron: 4 Iron
* Mashie: 5 Iron
* Spade Mashie: 6 Iron
* Mashie Niblick: 7 Iron
* Pitching Niblick: 8 Iron
* Niblick: 9 Iron
* Jigger: Very low lofted iron, shortened shaft

What can I say - I'm not an equipment junkie. You will find that I rarely post in the equipment forum. All I know is that back in the day a mashie was a 5I.

From Wikipedia:

Woods:

* Brassie: 2-Wood
* Spoon: Higher-Lofted Wood
* Baffing Spoon: Approach Wood

Irons:

* Cleek: 2 Iron
* Mid Mashie: 3 Iron
* Mashie Iron: 4 Iron
* Mashie: 5 Iron
* Spade Mashie: 6 Iron
* Mashie Niblick: 7 Iron
* Pitching Niblick: 8 Iron
* Niblick: 9 Iron
* Jigger: Very low lofted iron, shortened shaft

Here you go, the latest, and the greatest.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15849-Cleveland-Mashie-Review-Testers-Thread

I think the majority of the people who follow along here (lurker or not) know what he's referring too. The Mashie is a hybrid from Cleveland Golf that THP got to demo pre-release at the last Outing and has since become a popular club for those who have had the chance to hit it and see the results first hand.

Back