Trusting a New Swing

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I've been working very hard in the off season on a new swing (it's been a long winter). The results have been startling and for the first time I've felt the lag/release. The difficult part has been trusting the new swing and not going back to my old habit of getting "handsy" and releasing the club early and destroying all that stored up energy.

I played today for the first time in four months. When I trust the new swing I hit the ball very solidly. Since the results of the new swing are so obvious, why is it so hard to simply trust it all the time? What can I do? I have some tournaments coming up in a month, and due to our weather I haven't been able to play. I'd like to bring this new swing in play.

Thanks!

Practice and range time are huge right now. Getting out to the range and treating it like a round is good to get the feel. Change clubs, pick a target, go through your routine, and pull the trigger. Playing holes on the range gets your focus where it needs to be. If you can get on the course for practice rounds is great as well. One thing you need to do is take time mentally and commit to the shot you are trying to play. Being committed will help you trust the swing and shot. I hate to say there is no secret to making it work. Now it is about the hard work on the range and course to put the swing into play.

Thanks for the idea of "playing a round" on the range. I, too, am working on big changes and trying to avoid falling back into what seemed to work for so long. Still waiting to "feel the lag" but looking forward to it.

Thanks Andy. I know there aren't any short cuts. I've been putting in a lot of range time and it's starting to feel a bit more comfortable, but there's still that awkwardness, if you know what I mean.

Back