TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

well just put some time in with them on the 25th and get the right set-up for you.

Yeh that is what I posted about earlier. I was thinking 4-7 in the 2.0's and 8-PW in the CB's. I just keeping thinking back to how smooth the 8,9, and PW of the CB's felt. They were so lusciously sweet through the turf and the ball just blasted off the club face.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Like I said before I enjoyed the feel of the CBs but I love the distance of the 2.0s. I guess I need to talk to my inner self and figure out what is best for me. Hmmmm. Decisions, Decisions...?

Is there a set that you hit well more consistently? I'd say that is just as important as distance and accuracy.

Is there a set that you hit well more consistently? I'd say that is just as important as distance and accuracy.

I'd day the CB's by a smidge. But its very close.

In that case, it's a tough call, but one that only you can make :)

Interesting thoughts Mark...hope the snow melts for you fast so you can hit these outside soon
Ok, so I have a lot of work to do. However, that did not stop me from going to get fit for the MC's or CB's. CB's won out mainly because I wanted a AW with my set. A 3 iron is somewhat useless to me.
Fitting:
Standard loft and lie, we will see when my seing gets better, may have to adjust the 9-AW down a degree.
Went with Reg flex shafts, I play all my other clubs stiff. These worked for me as I was coming from graphite shafts. Stuck with the true temper R300.

Launch Monitor

These things frustrate the heck out of me. I am not a fan of them. They did let me see my ball flight. I am not going to review this part as the next part is better.

The Range

I am coming from R9's, so here is a comparison point for some of you looking into new clubs. I liked the R9, they were solid. However, these new forgies are where its at.
-Distance: I think that I am getting better distance, ya thats right. I only took out my 4i, 6i, and PW.
4i- I hit a few wankers (6/25) the rest were for lack of better term, orgasmic. Consistantly over 200 yards and straight. Mishits travelled about 170ish or so.
6- this is where I really had to step back and take a breath. My former 6 was hit about 170, on great days. I was "bombing" these that with no problem. I am getting giddy thinking about it.
PW- Solid 110-120 yards. Thats to be expected. However, moving to the next section, ball flight.

Ball Flight

4i- Mostly middle launch out of these, my R9 launched high. Penetrating flight, the ball just took off and for the most part, looks like it wanted to go through a wall. Very nice:act-up:
6- Nice flight, med to a tad high, but then drops.
PW- High then down.

I know I said I would bring up my R9, but if they could even hold a candle to these right now, I would still have them. Someone will be getting very nice R9's.

I absolutly love the feel of these clubs when you hit them well. I cannto describe them, I have never played forged clubs and thought this feel thing was mythical. It is not! The sound is a thick crack that initiates all sorts of warm fuzzies. Mishits emplore you to fix things in your swing right away. Tempo is important here, if your swing tempo is out of control, you will be notified by hosel rockets or toes.

I need to get back to working, so my final thoughts for now. Aske any questions you want.

These are flat out the best clubs that I have hit. I loved the MC's but thought that they may not work out short term. These clubs are players clubs that I will just get better with. I am more than happy with distance, they are long. Feel is as I said orgasmic. I am so happy that I got some great feedback from the forged line up testers, it really helped.
More to come.... When the snow melts!

In that case, it's a tough call, but one that only you can make :)

Choose and choose wisely.....It's like Indians Jones and the Holy Grail!

Great review Mark!! After reading what everyone is saying about these, I will definitely have to give them a try once a demo day comes around here in KC. I am thinking about going with CBs in 3 thru 7 and the MCs 8 thru PW. I believe someone else said they were thking about that setup as well, but can't remember if it was in this thread or the MC thread. The local golf shop that's not Dick's has the CBs but no MCs yet, so I can't even experiment with both sets to see if a combo would work for me.

Great review Mark!! After reading what everyone is saying about these, I will definitely have to give them a try once a demo day comes around here in KC. I am thinking about going with CBs in 3 thru 7 and the MCs 8 thru PW. I believe someone else said they were thking about that setup as well, but can't remember if it was in this thread or the MC thread. The local golf shop that's not Dick's has the CBs but no MCs yet, so I can't even experiment with both sets to see if a combo would work for me.

Why are you wanting a mixed set, Ryan? Genuine question here, so don't take it wrong. I've just never considered it as I like the entire set from bottom to top.

Well, the main reason is personal preference. The CB short irons are slightly bigger than the Mizzies I've been playing for the last 5 or 6 years, and I like a slightly smaller clubhead in the short irons. But, since I haven't had the chance to see the MCs in person yet, it's just a thought for now. Of course, that could change based on how I like the way the CBs behave for me as long as I can find the right shaft for them. But the earliest I can find a demo day around here is not until the end of April, so it will be a while before I get to try anything on a range. Hopefully that will give me some time to quit smoking so I can save up the money to pick up a set along with some new wedges, which, based on review I've been reading, is probably going to be down to the XFTs or MPT11s. But this could change if I decide to get a new driver and maybe a hybrid.

I can't find these anywhere in the Dayton area.

I can't find these anywhere in the Dayton area.

They just started shipping to stores. Give it a few days and they should be arriving by Friday.

That's cool. Let us know what you think when you get to try out both set. Coming from SGI/GI irons, I actually find the CB's to be a bit smaller clubhead than I'm used to and I'm enjoying it visually.

I do wish that I could be just a little more consistent with my irons, because I'm seeing some great distances when I absolutely flush these irons, but my average shots (read, normal shots) just don't go quite as far. The distances are definitely average for those shots, but I know I can get a bit more out of them. That's a problem that isn't exclusive the CB's, though.

Well, the main reason is personal preference. The CB short irons are slightly bigger than the Mizzies I've been playing for the last 5 or 6 years, and I like a slightly smaller clubhead in the short irons. But, since I haven't had the chance to see the MCs in person yet, it's just a thought for now. Of course, that could change based on how I like the way the CBs behave for me as long as I can find the right shaft for them. But the earliest I can find a demo day around here is not until the end of April, so it will be a while before I get to try anything on a range. Hopefully that will give me some time to quit smoking so I can save up the money to pick up a set along with some new wedges, which, based on review I've been reading, is probably going to be down to the XFTs or MPT11s. But this could change if I decide to get a new driver and maybe a hybrid.

Thanks for the props,
I like how far you can poke the 2.0's. However, the accuracy and feel these clubs GIVE ME, are insane. I may be found hunched over unable to move this weekend somewhere on the range. I cannot take these out of my hands. Hitting them is intoxicating, now addictive. I loved all 3 offerings, but had to go with what I wanted and something that would fit my game more. I am happy happy joy joy. Something remarkable is going to have to come out in order to take these out of the bag.
Go everyone, try em!

Glad you got your set and that your loving them. Please keep us informed on your progress with your new loves.

Like I said before I enjoyed the feel of the CBs but I love the distance of the 2.0s. I guess I need to talk to my inner self and figure out what is best for me. Hmmmm. Decisions, Decisions...?

This is tough buddy, I would figure out whats most important to you improving. I tend to hit my irons pretty far so I am not concerned with distance. If I didnt hit the ball well with my irons, then I would lean towards the 2.0's

So I went to my local golf shop and low and behold they finally got the irons in! The guy working there said that they had just gotten them in and i was the first person to hit them. I have been looking to buy a new set for a for a few months now but wanted to wait until i could hit these and it was a good idea. These irons are amazing. I thought I was going to get the Adams CB2s but i like these so much more. For a forged iron they are incredibly forgiving and easy to hit. When I hit it pure it was like an orgasm on a stick. I just need my tax money now.

So I went to my local golf shop and low and behold they finally got the irons in! The guy working there said that they had just gotten them in and i was the first person to hit them. I have been looking to buy a new set for a for a few months now but wanted to wait until i could hit these and it was a good idea. These irons are amazing. I thought I was going to get the Adams CB2s but i like these so much more. For a forged iron they are incredibly forgiving and easy to hit. When I hit it pure it was like an orgasm on a stick. I just need my tax money now.

nice!!!! Get that tax money and by some CB's then come in here and tell us all about your new love. Glad you enjoyed hitting them

Everyone does realize that these are a cast club though, right? I mean, what about that whole cast vs. forged debate?

Great write up Mark. Sounds like you like the CBs a lot more than the R9s (even though you said you liked the R9s)

I'm seriously jealous of everyone that has had an opportunity to hit these clubs. Like, seriously.....ok, I'm just going to go over here and pretend like you guys aren't here. *turns around and faces wall*

Everyone does realize that these are a cast club though, right? I mean, what about that whole cast vs. forged debate?

Very good point Captain. Forged face on a cast club head. With a big screw in the back. They do still feel very nice though.

Does any one know if it costs more for a combo set of CB/MC vs a full set of CBs?

I am a hack, which is why I'm playing this cast club, of course ;)

Seriously, I just never think about these being forged or face forged or not forged at all. They feel incredible when struck well and I don't care how the metal was shaped.

I am a hack, which is why I'm playing this cast club, of course ;)

Seriously, I just never think about these being forged or face forged or not forged at all. They feel incredible when struck well and I don't care how the metal was shaped.

You know that I would agree with you Hawk, I just find it interesting that these "feel" so superior to other irons in their class. I've said it for a while now, feel is related to sound. And what one hears, one relates to feel. These sound awesome at impact so I'm sure that makes them "feel" awesome too.

All I'm doing is pointing out the fact that they are cast.

You know that I would agree with you Hawk, I just find it interesting that these "feel" so superior to other irons in their class. I've said it for a while now, feel is related to sound. And what one hears, one relates to feel. These sound awesome at impact so I'm sure that makes them "feel" awesome too.

All I'm doing is pointing out the fact that they are cast.

You are very correct. Goes back to everything that I have said for a few years now.

People have heard the term forged for so long that in the end, it now means "softer feeling players iron", rather than what it is which is a process to make a club.

I read a review last week from a reputable writer (not an equipment guy obviously) that said "Nice having a forged iron back in my hands because I am now able to work the ball". I had to of course call him on it via twitter and he stood behind that he is not able to work a cast club and that he moves the ball better with a forged club. A few people got a good laugh out of that one. He also called a players cavity "nice to have forged blades back in my bag" referring to a club called "Forged Cavity". It was a hot mess of an article.

In the end, it is about what feels best to the person and sound is about 95% of that.

Yea, I knew that the cavity was cast before I got them and I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard more about it. I would assume the metal is the same across all three iron sets, but I don't know? Right now, I don't know if they feel superior to other current irons in their class since I haven't hit any of them yet. Hopefully, I will be able to do that soon and get a good comparison.

Back