2011 Golf Lessons - My Journey

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I am signing up for more golf lessons. My game needs a tune up for 2011 so I will post my progress for this year as it develops. No major swing change this time. I am going to have my swing coach work with what comes natural to me. I have always been a hooker with too flat of a swing plane. I found out that trying to change my natural swing shape was not a good thing at my age. Too darn stubborn and not willing to go through the pain. I really can hit a pretty draw when it is working. I just have to fine tune some issues and I need a professional eye to help me through the process. I am determined to build a swing that I can count on for solid golf shots. My handicap or scores are not the issue, I realize those are always up for change, however solid ball contact is my constant goal. It will start with a series of four lessons and work from there. More to come after lesson one.

Last edited:
good luck gray! I'm looking forward to hearing your progress. I'm looking in to taking lessons for the first time in my life.

I am signing up for more golf lessons. My game needs a tune up for 2011 so I will post my progress for this year as it develops. No major swing change this time. I am going to have my swing coach work with what comes natural to me. I have always been a hooker with too flat of a swing plane. I found out that trying to change my natural swing shape was not a good thing at my age. Too darn stubborn and not willing to go through the pain. I really can hit a pretty draw when it is working. I just have to fine tune some issues and I need a professional eye to help me through the process. I am determined to build a swing that I can count on for solid golf shots. My handicap or scores are not the issue, I realize those are always up for change, however solid ball contact is my constant goal. It will start with a series of four lessons and work from there. More to come after lesson one.

Good luck. As with any other type of lessons, you tend to get worse before you get better. Don't let the frustration get to you.

Sweet, I can't wait to follow along and see how it's going for you. You've always been a hooker huh....does Kelly know this?

Good luck with the lessons buddy!

Look forward to the updates, good luck Gray

Best of luck Gray!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. Good luck!

Great stuff Gray and I look forward to you hitting your goals big guy!

Good luck. I'm interested in hearing the results. I just had my first ever lesson this past weekend and I'm on the fence about whether it's going to benefit me or not (doubting my commitment to the changes, not the advice from the pro itself)

always interesting to follow someones progress. Good luck! :)

Yeah, I was going to ask about you being a hooker too. I thought you were retired?

I look forward to hearing about your progress Bill. I'm a big proponent of swing coaches working with what "comes natural". A lot of them don't work with what the player has and tries to change too much instead of working around the player's natural proclivities, e.g., tempo, build, etc. Good luck my friend!

I look forward as well following you through your lessons. I'm working on my putting with a PGA Professional and it is great fun. Keep us updated!

Can't wait to hear your progress Gray!

Good luck, I have my 2nd of 3 tonight.

Tomorrow I am playing an exceptionally nice course, so I'd like to be able pull the driver out a couple of times.

Sweet, I can't wait to follow along and see how it's going for you. You've always been a hooker huh....does Kelly know this?

How do you think I met him? :D

From one Bill to another....I look forward to hearing your progression !!

Thanks!

Bill M.

AHHH , A little tune up before the outing ............ Cheeter , cheeter , pumpkin' eater :D
Looking forward to reading about your progress .

I have a little hitch in my giddy-up and need to find a Pro to have a look-see at my swing with the driver .

When my Momma went to the hospital and gave birth to me. The doctor slapped me on the butt and said "yep, that boy is born to be a Hooker" and the beat goes on :D.

How do you think I met him? :D

I am cheap :in-love:!

Thanks to the rest of you in support of my 2011 journey. I went out today and hit the ball really well. I suppose my swing is sweating out the new approach. I am excited about the opportunity to fine tune my normal swing path. I went down the reverse road last year and that is not going to happen. I found out for me, you are better off going with your natural tendency, be consistent with it and focus on one swing. I am excited about the next month and yep, I am fine tuning for the Outing and the Bear Trap :thumb: The journey begins next Friday morning at 10:30 a.m.

When my Momma went to the hospital and gave birth to me. The doctor slapped me on the butt and said "yep, that boy is born to be a Hooker" and the beat goes on :D.

I am cheap :in-love:!

Thanks to the rest of you in support of my 2011 journey. I went out today and hit the ball really well. I suppose my swing is sweating out the new approach. I am excited about the opportunity to fine tune my normal swing path. I went down the reverse road last year and that is not going to happen. I found out for me, you are better off going with your natural tendency, be consistent with it and focus on one swing. I am excited about the next month and yep, I am fine tuning for the Outing and the Bear Trap :thumb: The journey begins next Friday morning at 10:30 a.m.

I am excited for you on your quest to fine tune instead of change, Tiger should consult you for your sage advise.

Three main things I was instructed to work on the next few days are:

1. With club sitting at address position, lift it up even with my belt buckle then simply turn right which sets me in the perfect position at the top.

2. My next practice session was to put two tees in the ground. One tee on the outside where I can't go out too far and the other tee back and across from right foot. This makes me swing down through the ball with my finish turning around my left side. The feel I will be looking for is my left elbow going into my left pocket. This drill will teach me a complete finish through and around my left side.

3. My coach wants the butt of the club to point down to my target line when I am set at the top of my back swing and again at my follow through the butt should point to the target line.

Three things to work on and next lesson will be Thursday at 10:30 am. It feels as though I am almost firing towards a target on the left side of the fairway. It did stop the dreaded pull hooks and a gentle straight to mild draw. More straight balls than I have seen in quite some time!

Last edited:
Good stuff so far ol buddy. I hope he gets your game crackin for the May outing.

Good to hear about your progress Gray...solid ball striking is a thing of beauty!

Elbow in left pocket

Elbow in left pocket

I hit several really solid iron shots today with my clubhead moving towards third base after ball contact and finishing my swing around my body instead of up and out to the right. It feels awkward but when I do it correctly I finally get the correct sensation of what if feels like to make the correct finish.

Great stuff Ole Gray !
My game needs some work too, just don't know who to go to at the moment .

Back