Phil Mickelson Article

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Courtesy of Rick Reilly on espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6246670

At Riviera Country Club in L.A. one day this year, a PGA Tour player was stopped at the locker room door.

"I.D.?" the guard said.

"Really?" Phil Mickelson asked.

"I.D.?" the guard said again, without blinking.

"This is Phil Mickelson," I pointed out.

"I.D., please."

Whoa. Maybe American golf really is dead.

If it is, if the grand Tiger Woods/Phil Mickelson era really has expired, let it be written that Tiger Woods' fatal wounds were self-inflicted while Mickelson's came from a piano falling on his head.

His wife got breast cancer. His mom got breast cancer. He got psoriatic arthritis so bad that he was walking up stairs at the U.S. Open like an 80-year-old man. He even gave up meat for a while. When Phil Mickelson, one of the great burger eaters in America today, gives up meat, you know it's serious.
Then somehow, his luck turned even worse.

"We've had a really scary time with [8-year-old son] Evan this year," Mickelson says. "There was a problem with his kidney. We think it must've been something that he got when we were in China [where Mickelson designs golf courses]. He was having to get tested every week and it really was worrying us. It looked like he was going to need surgery."

We've all known the golf gods hated Mickelson. Who knew God did, too?

Last season broke with such promise. He won the Masters with one of the most swashbuckling shots in history -- a 6-iron off pine straw through two trees you could have barely walked John Daly through, over Rae's Creek to four feet.

"He'd just birdied 12," says his caddy, Jim (Bones) Mackay. "And he said to me [over that shot], 'You know, if I'm going to win this tournament, I'm going to have to make a huge shot under a lot of pressure. I think this is the time.' What do you say to that? I'm going to tell him not to? The guy built my house!"

He won by three. The emotional hug with Amy. But then, by June, more trouble.

"I'd be laying in bed and it would be like my wrists and ankles were on fire," he says. Psoriatic arthritis. His left pointer finger wouldn't bend. Try to swing a driver like that. He tried vegetarianism. Phil Mickelson, owner of Five Guys burgers franchises, eating vegetables? It was like seeing a lion at a salad bar.

At the U.S. Open, he'd finish his round, ride in the air-conditioned car for five minutes to the practice range and get out walking like Methuselah. He had to learn to inject himself in the thigh. "Freaky at first, but you get used to it," he says.

But what to put in the needles? They tried different medications, different doses, all of them with new side effects.

The timing couldn't have been worse. With Woods' life upside down, Mickelson had a chance to take over the No. 1 ranking in the world. Instead, he slid the other way. He fell from the doorsill of No. 1 to sixth today. Tiger is fifth.

"Two great players of the past," Johnny Miller called them.

But that's not how Mickelson feels.

With Amy getting better, with his mom improving, with his arthritis under control, his list of life-or-death worries was whittled down to Evan, a fret big enough to stare a hole in a bedroom ceiling.

"We were really kind of worried sick about him." he says. "But then, on the last test before he was going to need surgery, the test results showed that he was back to normal. Nobody knew why. And now he's doing great again. Really great again. So, wow, that was great, great news."

What will Phil do next? Finally catch a break.

"So, really, everything's going great now in my life. I believe and I hope that this year is what last year was supposed to be."

Which makes you ask: Yeah? When's it going to start?

So far, in six starts, he's had one second place, at Torrey Pines. Everything else has been exceedingly beige -- 35th in L.A., ninth at Pebble and a 55th at Doral that was so bad he decided to sign up for this week at Bay Hill, where he and Tiger will be in the field and not a single player will be scared. He's barely hitting half his fairways (176th on tour) and less than two out of every three greens (94th).

And yet he still thinks he can win the Masters. At 40. With arthritis. "I just need to have that one good scoring week," he says.

And if he doesn't? After what he's been through? Please. He's a changed man. He's just happy when another day comes and goes without some new ABC Movie of the Week opening up in his life.

"Like, take the Tuesday dinner thing," he says, referring to the traditional Champions Night dinner at the Masters he's compelled to host as last year's winner. "Guys cater in all this macaroni lobster and soft-shelled crab and then everybody just orders steaks anyway. I'm kind of thinking maybe I should just forget it. Let them order whatever they want. Or bring in burgers. I mean, there's a Five Guys right down the street, right?"

OK, not everything's changed.

Man the guy has had issues in his life for sure and I've always been a pretty big Phil fan. He has killed me many times in fantasy golf as well as breaking our hearts in many events but I still respect him and follow him on tour.
Just think where Phil would have been many times in the professional golf world had Tiger never been born. He has had a really great career and I think he has more wins and a couple of more majors in him yet. I hope he maintains good health along the way.

That is a great article! Thanks for sharing Hanks! Life sure has thrown everything at him and he can still put on a smile. He's a class-act, always has, always will be.

I feel bad for the guy, he has been going through some really tough times. I am glad he has had those victorious moments to fall back on though, and hope he has many to come. His days are numbered though as he's already 40 years old!!!

Interesting fact though, never knew he owned some Five Guys.

I have grown to like the guy over the years. I've always loved his game but had always heard what a fake he was supposed to be by his peers. He seems to have turned that page and now I can root for him all the way around.

PS-I'll never forgive Jim Nantz for ruining the unreal performance Phil turned in at the Master's with his "A win for the family" call.

I really enjoyed thsi article when I first saw it on ESPN yesterday. It's a great piece on Phil, and the guy has definitely had more than his fair share of adversity over the years. He really strikes me as a great guy on and off the course.

Great article. I have always liked Phil. Maybe because his plays opposite of his non-dominate hand, like me (play right handed but am left dominate) or maybe because of my tie, or lack there of, to Arizona St. (see my welcome post). I just really am a Phil fan, always have been.

I just have a soft spot for Phil and Bubba.
I didn't know Phil was such a supporter of meat eating - big + now!

I've always been a Lefty fan and will continue to be. If he can come through all of that adversity and snag one more major, what a feat it'd be for sure.

Thanks for posting that Hanks, that is a great story. Hard not to root for Mickelson, he's just a super guy.

I like Phil as well...Who couldn't??
As far as the Five guys..His group evidently owns 5 franchises in Orange County.

He also made a bid for 105 Waffle Houses with 2 others...
Didnt go through, but evidently, Phil likes his food...

Good read, thanks Hanks

Great article. I really like Phil a lot.

Great article. He has been through so much. He needs a great win soon! I have always been a Phil fan. Crazy for someone to go through so much pain mentally and physically all at the same time. He has a lot heart and strength.

Good read, I've always been a Phil fan, there are some neat outtake clips of a short game dvd he did, him telling jokes to the camera crew and others just seems like a really fun guy to be around.

No secret that I'm a Phil homer, and always will be. He's what inspired me to pick up golf the way that I have. His creativity and his short game is something I try to emulate. The best feature about this man is that despite everything he's been through, he still gives the thumbs up to the fans, he still has that young man's grin, he still gives the most honest, real, and emotional post round interviews. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and I can get behind a role model like that.

I'd rather him never win the Masters again just so long as he gets one US Open.

Thanks for the story Hanks, I really enjoyed that.

I love reading stories like this. Thank you for posting this Hanks.

Boy arthritis already, at his age. I know it can hit you at almost any time especially after a certain age but it is difficult to control, difficult to predict from the perspective of when you are just going to feel totally rotten and just seems to get worse the longer you have it at least from what I have seen. It is certainly one of those ailments that seems to have eluded efforts to markedly improve things for sufferers.

Does not bode well long term and though the Miller comment seems extreme and a little terse, he may well be right.

I feel bad for the guy, he has been going through some really tough times. I am glad he has had those victorious moments to fall back on though, and hope he has many to come. His days are numbered though as he's already 40 years old!!!

Interesting fact though, never knew he owned some Five Guys.

My pops was a lefty, so I definitely have a soft spot for lefties in golf, since I know my dad would have. Phil and Bubba are two of my favorite guys to watch out there, with their creativity and skill on the course. It only helps that they're like-able guys, too.

On the Five Guys note - they're starting to pop up all over San Diego now. I know of at least two, but I think there are several more, and more in the works. I'm an In-N-Out guy myself, but I've heard good things about Five Guys so I'll probably give it a try soon.

Back