What to you play out of the sand?

What to you play out of the sand?

• Total voters

Bomb_n_Gouge

Reaction score
I have been thinking recently of benching my R9 SW and going with a 60* Cleveland. I just don't like SW, I'm not comfortable with it, there is too much bounce, and it doesn't perform like I would like it to. I also would like a 60* for better flop shots so it seems like a win/win.

I'm curious if most people play the SW that came with their set or if you elected to go with something else.

I am talking about a standard lie in a greenside bunker, nothing fancy, thanks!

Last edited:
I use with a 58/52 wedge or my 56 Niblick, depending on distance and lie

my 54/14 is perfect for not digging in. However, I may look into using my 58 once i figure out how to not dig it into the ground.

The problem with SW that comes with sets are the soles are exactly like all of the other irons, they are very thick no matter what compared to other wedges and don't let you dig in like actual wedges with the leading edge. SW's that come with sets are not good out of sand.

For me it all depends on my lie and how far away the pin is, and how much green I have to work with, if it's a long bunker shot I'll go with a 56* or a 52* and if it's a short shot with a tight pin I'll go with a 60*

I assume you're talking about a greenside bunker?

I like to use my 50*, 55*, or 60* wedge. Depends on the sand, the lie, the lip, and how much green I have in front of me.

The problem with SW that comes with sets are the soles are exactly like all of the other irons, they are very thick no matter what compared to other wedges and don't let you dig in like actual wedges with the leading edge. SW's that come with sets are not good out of sand.

This is exactly my problem and the reason i am looking into this change

i think the lie, distance and type of sand really has to come into play here

I assume you're talking about a greenside bunker?

I like to use my 50*, 55*, or 60* wedge. Depends on the sand, the lie, the lip, and how much green I have in front of me.

Yes, generally a greenside bunker

I find more success using my 55* more than anything, I don't know why for sure, just do. I've never owned a sand wedge that matches the iron set.

my 58 is my greenside bunker club.

The SW that came with my set is great if the sand is good, but if I have harder sand or not a lot of sand ill use a wedge with less bounce. Also it depends on teh length of sand shot. If i have a lot of distance to cover ill use my gap wedge.

I use my 58 degree wedge - it's got 13 degrees of bounce (good for sand) but has the PM-grind so it's useful off of tight lies as well.

I use the SW that came with my set b/c when i bought the set it came with 4-PW + AW & SW. Most of the time it works well for me, but I've toyed with the idea of picking up some more standard wedges at some point. Maybe next year.

54* iWedge. NOTHING has been as easy for me to get out of the sand. Love it because the sole is based off of the old Eye 2's.

From a greenside bunker I always use my 56 degree wedge, unless the green is absolutely enormous, then I may use my 52 degree.

I voted for "Something else" since 58* was not an option...

Thanks, I am seeing a lot of the 58 and it never really crossed my mind for some reason, but that would be a good way to not have such a large gap between my wedges, thanks!

I use a 60* Wilson Staff TW9

I typically go for my 56*, but will use my 60* or 52* if the situation calls for either.

Unless the green is huge, I use my Bridgestone WC 56*, if the green is really large I use the AW that came with my irons.

go to bunker club is my 56 degree, but long bunker shots I use the 52 and short sided i'll use the 60. I'd day probably 90% of the time its the 56 though.

I tend to use my 60* wedge and open the face for more bounce. Never given me problems before.

First off I love the sand!! With that I will use a different club based off of the distance and pin position on the green. If it is a short shot and the pin is cut close to the edge I will use my 58* and try to play a drop and stop shot and if it is on the complete opposite side of the green I will use my 52*. I try to take the same swing no matter the distance and take a different club instead of taking a 58* and trying to blast it clear across the green that is when skulled sand shots show up.

+1 exactly why I voted for 'something else' as it would all depend
i think the lie, distance and type of sand really has to come into play here

Back