Votes: 65 61.9%
  • U.S. Open

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Open Championship

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • PGA Championship

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I'm a bigger fan of The Open more than any of the others. Its the first major that I remember ever sitting and watching for all four days as a kid so it holds a special place to me.

I can't stand Augusta 51 weeks of the year because of its haughty policies, especially regarding women...

...but that one week of the year, it does host my favourite major...maybe it's how it is at the same course every year, or the immaculately kept fairways...or maybe it's just that it's the first major of the year, but I do enjoy watching it!

I would have loved to check two, the Masters is by far my favorite major to watch, I love the tradition, but outside of some of the weird coverage TNT has done to the Open over the years, I love watching British style golf. We in America don't watch that style golf all that often and it's fun to watch.

My order is:

The Masters
US Open
The Open Championship
THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP*
PGA

* Yes, I think the Players is generally a better event than the PGA - often the better course, always better field. The PGA is usually one of the most over-rated events of the year to me. It sometimes turns out well on the right course (Whistling Straights was great) but in general I don't love it.

As for the Masters - the brainchild of the greatest golfer ever (Bobby Jones) and arguably the greatest architect ever (Alister McKenzie), and history dating back to 1933 on the same location (though plenty of updates/changes have been made). No other major can claim any of that. It is Mecca for American golf to me.

My order is the same that they are played in: Masters, US Open, Open Championship, PGA.

The Masters just b/c of the prestige of the event and the true reward not being a trophy but THE jacket. I think that is awesome and the way they make it out to be some kind of crazy kings of golf court, its more of a ceremony than a presentation to me. The Open and US are lots of fun and I love to watch them, but only at certain courses, Pebble and St Andrews being my two favorites. History was always my favorite subject in school so it seems the more historic the course, the better for me.

This is a tough one for me. Right now I would have to say that it is the Masters just because you will NEVER see a course in better condition. The views are just stunning and the way the course is meticulously taken care of just puts me in awe. However there is something to be said for the US Open as well. It is our national championship and if you want to try and qualify and you make it through the process it is a life changing experience. My uncle has been within one stroke of qualifying for the Open on 2 separate occasions and it has been his life's mission to qualify. This past year he was finally able to qualify for the US Senior Open and he said that while it is not THE US Open it is still a national championship and he was able to be one of the lucky few to make it.

The Masters for me but for some reason I always tend to never miss much more than a minute of the Open Championship. Maybe it's because of the weather and seeign how the pros react to the kind of weather the Open Championship is known for.

My order is:

The Masters
US Open
The Open Championship
THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP*
PGA

* Yes, I think the Players is generally a better event than the PGA - often the better course, always better field. The PGA is usually one of the most over-rated events of the year to me. It sometimes turns out well on the right course (Whistling Straights was great) but in general I don't love it.

Agree 100%. They need to make the Players a major already...

For me it is:

1. The Masters, best coverage and I know the course so well from years of watching it is familiar and sentimental. Most prestigious to me and most pros based on what I read.
2. US Open, also great coverage, great courses and usually good weather.
3. PGA Championship, late in the year so I am really attached to certain players by then and they go to great courses. Probably the best major last year.
4. Open Championship, coverage is off due to time differential, different style of courses and play are not as much for me (all due respect to the course's history and tradition), weather is usually too much a part of the story and I hate that when you tee off may determine your chances of winning.

I love them all and watch ridiculous amounts of them all.

The Masters! To me it is the start of the real golf season. Because it is played on the same course each year it adds that something extra that the other majors can't compete with. The course is beautiful, the coverage just adds to the experience and the drama is pretty interesting most years, especially on that back nine.

I would also mention that the Open and the Old Course is a special tournament to watch as well but that doesn't happen each year.

I voted for the Masters. After having a chance to go to Augusta 4 years ago I honestly couldn't vote for any others. Absolutely amazing course!

I'm not surprised to see the polling come out this way. When I read, I immediately thought, "For me it's the Masters, and it's not even close". Turns out I'm not alone.
Like others I'd put the US Open second cause I love to watch 'em suffer! :devil:

Easily The Masters, I have been to the tournament, been to practice rounds, have read more books & articles about the tournament that all of the other majors combined. It just feels like an old friend to me, familar and friendly.

Last edited:
The Open Championship, love the wide-open courses and the sometimes brutal conditions make it fun to watch.

US Open bar none. It's open to everyone. The courses are always tough. My least favorite is the Master's.

1) Tie: The Masters and the Open Championship

3) The US Open
4) that other "major"

While The Masters brings the warmest feeling to my heart, the US Open is the King of the Majors. It has the largest field, has the fairest entry criteria and is generally the truest test of golfing skill. It is also easier to get tickets to.

The Masters is my favorite, hands down. Beautiful course, lots of history, and a great field.

I am split between the Masters and The Open Championship.

I love the Masters as its the first major of the year and in the uk most of us are just starting our golfing season so its all in the timing.
But for me its the Open Championship, you just don't get that type of shot making anywhere,usually won by very good ball strikers and not bomb and gouge merchants.It will be interesting this year as the Scottish Open the week previous has been moved from Loch Lomond (parkalnd) to Castle Stewart (links) so the
majority of the field will have had some tournament practice the week before.
Plus I love the BBC coverage and commentry team.

1 Open
2 Masters
3 US Open
4 PGA

Masters, you just can't beat that, plus it's a course I will never get to play in my life (except on the new TW game) so I love watching the event every year.

The Four Majors

The Four Majors

This has probably been asked many times and forgive me if i'm repeating previous threads.

The Lee Westwood thread and the differing opinions re. The Players got me thinking.

How do the four majors rank in everyone's mind? I know a major is a major but which one given the choice would you most like to win. Much will depend on where you are around the globe i suspect.

I think the perception from us over this side of the water is that The Masters ranks above the US Open for most (i'm not sure it does to be honest). Is this the case? Can some US based posters back this up or refute it?

Just interested to find out people's views.
For me it's

The Open Championship
The Masters
The US Open
The USPGA

Based on the History of the game, I would probably agree with your rankings, however with that said, if I could win only one......there is no question in my mind I would want it to be "The Masters"

Back