What to you play out of the sand?

What to you play out of the sand?

• Total voters
The problem with SW that comes with sets are the soles are exactly like all of the other irons, they are very thick no matter what compared to other wedges and don't let you dig in like actual wedges with the leading edge. SW's that come with sets are not good out of sand.

For me it all depends on my lie and how far away the pin is, and how much green I have to work with, if it's a long bunker shot I'll go with a 56* or a 52* and if it's a short shot with a tight pin I'll go with a 60*

Ahhh...so THAT'S what my problem was. Until I got my Nike wedges, I was always using the 'prepackaged' sand wegde that came with my iron set. Chances of getting out of the sand were about 50/50. The 4 rounds I played on vacation with my current wedge saw courses with a lot of sand- more than I'm used to. Not a single problem- out first time every time and even went up and down on one hole and I never do that.

For me it all depends on my lie and how far away the pin is, and how much green I have to work with, if it's a long bunker shot I'll go with a 56* or a 52* and if it's a short shot with a tight pin I'll go with a 60*

Same here. I'll also use a PW or 9I if I really want it to run out.

+1 exactly why I voted for 'something else' as it would all depend

Again Hanks I'm talking about your average greenside bunker shot decent lie the club you use just to try to get up and down nothing fancy here

I'll be honest, I am an average sand player on my best day, all I try to do is get the ball on the green, I don't spend a lot of time in the sand and so I don't think to practice it as much as I should, just looking for some suggestions

54* iWedge. NOTHING has been as easy for me to get out of the sand. Love it because the sole is based off of the old Eye 2's.

Are Ping bringing out the eye 2 wedges again? would love to try them

I use my 55* no matter what the shot. I've found using one wedge has both simplified life in bunkers and made it easier to learn how to get out...sometimes

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I use a 54* out of the sand but I'm rarely in a bunker..........(my home course does not have sand bunkers)

Usually my 60. I prefer to fly my ball most of the way, rarely play the running shot.

I use my 56*. Last year all I had was a 52* and a 60* and trying to pitch out of the bunkers with the 60* wasnt pretty.

Difficult to answer, as my club from a greenside bunker will change depending on circumstances (e.g., type of sand, firmness, length of shot, lip, carry distance, etc.) However, I do know that I use my 56 degree wedge out of a greenside bunker more than any other club.

58* with 8* of bounce. Pretty hard sand here in Cheeseland, especially my home course. It's a really versatile club. Most lefty 56* wedges all have at least 12* of bounce which me no likey. Though I'm thinking of going with a 56* with more bounce for this event I'm playing in this Summer in FL as I've heard the sand is like Gold Bond Medicated Powder, only less wintergreenish. I also heard if you put it in your pants it makes you itch instead of stopping itching.

Kevin

56 degree Vokey Spin Milled Wedge for me from the sand. Enjoying it over the RAC TP Black I had.

I use a 56* most of the time, but If I am short sided I pull out my 58* and open it up. Living in Milwaukee you should play a wedge with very little bouce due to the soft conditions.

I voted "SW from set" because for the past few rounds, I've been using a matching SW... from a former set. :smile:

Tommy Armour evo V-31 R.O. It's very decent from the sand but where I excel with this club is with full shots and shorter pitches. I also put the V-31 GW in the bag along with it. My precision with these two clubs is undeniable, they're staying.

I just bagged an MP T11 56/13 with the new DG Spinner shafts and was 3 for 3 in sand saves in my inaugural round. These feel perfectly weighted for sand shots. I liked my previous CG12 54/10 and Cally x-forged 58/10 but these win hands down.

I mainly play my 54* wedge out of the sand, but if I have to stop the ball quickly or get the ball up the air quickly, I'll use my 58* wedge.

usually i'll use my 60*, unless i got a long ways to carry...then maybe i'll elect for the 56*

agree with what @Dent said: you should have wedges that are separate from your iron set, especially for bunker play.

I assume you're talking about a greenside bunker?

I like to use my 50*, 55*, or 60* wedge. Depends on the sand, the lie, the lip, and how much green I have in front of me.

Same here. Unfortunately there isn't a standard greenside bunker shot. Just like any other shot you have to take the variables into account and trust your swing.:fingers-crossed:

Depending on the condition of the sand... fluffy sand = 54 with high bounce, concrete = 58 with very little bounce

SW from the set

SW from the set

Although I carry a 60 degree, unless I am very short sided I have always been comfortable with my standard SW

I'll use a 58* or 54* wedge depending on the distange and ball flight I want to achieve, and occasionally my 50* for extra long greenside bunker shots

Same here, except I have slightly different lofts. The sand around here is different at every course it seems. I used my 60 for every bunker shot last time out due to packed sand and high lips.

I assume you're talking about a greenside bunker?

I like to use my 50*, 55*, or 60* wedge. Depends on the sand, the lie, the lip, and how much green I have in front of me.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

My SW is a 54*/10* and my LW is a 60*/6*. I will use the SW 99% of the time unless the sand is hard packed and I need the lower bounce of the LW to avoid bouncing into the middle of the ball, or if the pin is really tight when short sided and I need the higher loft and just swing harder to get it out with the LW. I'm planning to replace both of them at some point this year, and the Cleveland wedge fitting app on their website recommends I go with a 54/14* and a 59/10* or something like that. We'll see.

I've got 54 and 58 in the bag, and will use both out of sand. The 54 will be the usual choice, unless I've got a very short one out of fluffy sand.

I use a 56 most of the time. If it is a close pin placement maybe use the 60. Right now most of the bunkers are water hazards though, need a little less rain.

greenside i like a 60* wedge - sometimes a 56* if there is a lot of green. Fairway bunkers - depends how far - i hit a mashie out of the sand the other day. but the sand was hard so i just played it like a hardpan lie.

I watched a guy putt out of a greenside bunker last year ... i thought "is he really that bad out of sand, hes goign to try and ramp the bunker?" needless to say it didnt make it out - and he had to hit a wedge now with the ball under the lip. Yikes. think he carded a 9.

Back