Niblicks kicking my wedges out of the bag ???

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
After reading a past thread on here about the Cleveland niblicks. I picked up a 56 new "last years" at half cost. In all thinking it would be a neat club but nothing i would want in my bag. Gaming a 56 & 60 XFT wedges.

Went to the short game area at my range. This is where i spend most of my time. Chipping, pitching and putting. Also complete with bunkers.

So i pull out the niblick and after a couple of shots. I'm able to put 9 out of 10 close to the pin. From close to the green to a few yards out depending where i put the ball in my stance. All while using a putting stroke. Meanwhile my buddy is blading shots over the green or only hitting a couple of feet. He was floored.

Were both high handicap.

I'm going to keep my 60 XFT but thinking of taking out the 56 in place of the niblick. Also thinking of adding a 42 niblick for approach shots and bump'n runs.

Anyone else use them in place of your wedges ? Whats you wedge setup?

This is great to hear since I have a 56° on order. I know there are a few folks on here who swear by them. How does it do out of the sand for you?

Here's the link - Combines a wedge sole, putter club length, iron address shape, and hybrid stability to create a versatile short iron hybrid.

http://clevelandgolf.com/US_niblick__niblick_2011__viewProd_wedges.html

You may see from my sig that I game the 56 and 49 and use a 60 for very high lipped bunkers.

Funny you mention this. Just yesterday I pulled my 56 out and did some practice chipping. Was a great time and good success with the 56 Nib. I had forgotten how easy this thing was to hit. I am considerig putting it back it back in the bag. I previoulsy had the 42 and just did not hit it as well as the 56. Maybe I will pick up a used one to see if my skill...or luck has improved.

It helped me get of the sand nearly everytime.

Yep, I pulled the PW and the 56 wedge and replaced them with 42* and 49* Niblicks.
I kept a 60* wedge for flop shots and greenside bunkers.

I really wanna try this club but in my head it feels kinda like cheating ... don't know why but I just don't feel comfortable carrying this in my bag ... :( hopefully I can beat my ego and focus on scores some time in the near future :alien2:

I have been looking at them also, by the end of the year I should have a couple in the bag.

Thanks for starting the thread - I am definitely intrigued. I have my PW & GW that are 120 & 105 respectively but I struggle with the 50-80 yard shots into the green using a 54 degree SW.

Would the niblick be a potential club for those 50-80 yard shots?

I had the 42 in my bag last year for a good part of the year and yes, it is great if you struggle in the 50-80 yard shots. Don't sell these guys short on full shots either. I will probably start out the year putting it in the bag depending on which course and the conditions as they are really handy on tight lies bump and runs if the ground is dry. Looked at this year's model of the 42 and Cleveland has certainly upgraded the visual appeal of these clubs.

Thanks for starting the thread - I am definitely intrigued. I have my PW & GW that are 120 & 105 respectively but I struggle with the 50-80 yard shots into the green using a 54 degree SW.

Absolutely. With the 49 or 56 you will be dropping darts on the green at that range.

i have a 42,49,56 niblick from last year. I keep taking em out and putting em back. Depending on the turf conditions - ill bag one or the other. Right now i like the safety net of the 56 for hard/fast greens and sand play. that club out of the sand is just magical. But i think if i practice sand play enough i wouldnt need it. i mean sands easy right?

the 49 is a great all around chipper IMO - if its fast i can just bump it and it will get decent flight and a good rollout

the 42 on the other hand - is nice for bump n runs - where you have distance to play with. it takes a bit more practice since the margin for error is greater. you can send em past the hole if you arent careful.

After watching a few instruction videos in the off season though - ive come to realize chipping is pretty easy as long as i dont get handsy with it. keeping weight up front and using the shoulders and arms - i can ship with any of the clubs in my bag. just have to practice.

Right now im gaming the 49 - i love it for its ease of use. but i love the 56 out of sand.

I have the 2011 49 and a cheap 56 from last year ready to go. The 42 would be a little redundant for me as I like a little loft with my runs. Looking forward to seeing how they do. Not sure if there is room for both of them, but if they work I will make room even I overlap lofts. I am long since over hitting stuff that is "appropriate" for my scoring. Just want stuff that works.

have you used both niblicks yet ? I really want some feedback how they are against each other

I have the 2011 49 and a cheap 56 from last year ready to go. The 42 would be a little redundant for me as I like a little loft with my runs. Looking forward to seeing how they do. Not sure if there is room for both of them, but if they work I will make room even I overlap lofts. I am long since over hitting stuff that is "appropriate" for my scoring. Just want stuff that works.

I have the x24 50 AW which is great at 90 to 110 and my MPT11 56 is money from the sand and around the green. I coukd use something for 50 to 80, chipping and some bump and runs and it looks like the 49 might be a great all around tool to add to the bag. It sounds pretty versatile.

I love my 49 out of the sand. it helps me get through the sand without digging too much
This is great to hear since I have a 56° on order. I know there are a few folks on here who swear by them. How does it do out of the sand for you?

Here's the link - Combines a wedge sole, putter club length, iron address shape, and hybrid stability to create a versatile short iron hybrid.

http://clevelandgolf.com/US_niblick__niblick_2011__viewProd_wedges.html

it's not cheating at all...sounds more like a image problem more than anything which is something that pops up in this sport a lot. Try one out sometime and see what the results are. If they're good then how do you argue against what you see?
I really wanna try this club but in my head it feels kinda like cheating ... don't know why but I just don't feel comfortable carrying this in my bag ... :( hopefully I can beat my ego and focus on scores some time in the near future :alien2:

the 49 is my money club from 90-100. I've hit the 56 before and I think that launches a littel too high for me but that may be the right club to take care of those 80 yd shots if you take a 1/2 to 3/4 swing?

personally I think the 49 is the most versatile Nibber I've hit so far. the 56 went a litle too high for me and chips were all hit the green and stop with not much roll which is what I like the 49 to do when I chip from the collar of the green or just off it when near the green.
have you used both niblicks yet ? I really want some feedback how they are against each other

What I meant was 2010 Niblick vs 2011 Niblick :) I really like the look of the new Niblick and if it is anyway near as good as the old one I think I am sold :D

the 49 is my money club from 90-100. I've hit the 56 before and I think that launches a littel too high for me but that may be the right club to take care of those 80 yd shots if you take a 1/2 to 3/4 swing?

personally I think the 49 is the most versatile Nibber I've hit so far. the 56 went a litle too high for me and chips were all hit the green and stop with not much roll which is what I like the 49 to do when I chip from the collar of the green or just off it when near the green.

I have the 42 and use it as my utility club. I love it. It's good for punch and run shots to the green and also for punching out of the woods under limbs etc. I took my lob wedge out of my bag to make room for it. The 49 really has my interest and could be on my list to buy in the near future. These clubs have so much versatility and once you practice with them, they grow on ya.

What I meant was 2010 Niblick vs 2011 Niblick :) I really like the look of the new Niblick and if it is anyway near as good as the old one I think I am sold :D

Thread on the 2011 with my pic's of my 49* here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?16416-New-2011-Cleveland-Niblick/page4

I've noticed no major difference in the two. The weight of the new one is 6g heavier than the 2010 (I pulled both heads and wieghed them, 2010 was 310g and 2011 was 316g) and I really haven't missed the zip grooves. The head has a bit different shape as far as the topline goes. I will say that the finish DOES wear on the sole still so be aware of that, still looks good though.

I love the new one, but I loved my 2010 too though, either way put the ego at the door and try one, its a stroke saver, period.

I would add that being a woman, this club felt awfully heavy to me. I liked the way the woman's club felt better and asked the rep if it might be better for me. He told me that I needed the length of the men's Niblick. We compromised on ordering the men's with a graphite shaft. I didn't even realize they came in graphite. Once he explained that the heaviness of the head was to help you accelerate through impact, I was sold since I am bad about not doing that at times.

I love my 49 out of the sand. it helps me get through the sand without digging too much

I am going to try this next time I am in a trap. I have often used the 56 but if I can get away with using the 49 then I will.

I am going to try this next time I am in a trap. I have often used the 56 but if I can get away with using the 49 then I will.

I've hit them out of sand; if the pins a little farther away it's great; but to get the ball up high and stop is a problem

Tap, tap, tap.

The 56 i have has no problem getting the ball up and out of green side bunkers. It does take some practice with it though. I agree about the ego thing. I'm 39 and just started playing last year. Im not going to be on the PGA tour any time soon. I'll take all the "legal" help i can get.

Sweet looking wedge, but not sure how i would like it compared to my vokeys.

I actually made a shim last night and put my extra DG Spinner back in to give it a legit chance this time around with the 2011. Won't be able to get out till the weekend but I'll post up again when I do.

Back