Reshafting with lighter shaft.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
If you take a 68 gram shaft out of a driver and put in a 55 gram shaft, does it screw anything up? Swingweight, etc?

Kevin

It will change the swing weight for sure, but will you notice, probably not. You can always get the swingweight back to where it is now by playing with the lenght of shaft or lead tap or hot melting.

It will change the swing weight for sure, but will you notice, probably not. You can always get the swingweight back to where it is now by playing with the lenght of shaft or lead tap or hot melting.

It's for my daughter. I bought a TEE XCG on the cheap that has a 68 gram low to mid launch Graphite design shaft. She's smacking it, but it's not getting up. I bought a 55 gram Prolaunch Blue on the cheap to put in it. I'm hoping the two combine to give her a long carrying driver. I won't shaft the club myself, but will have it done at Golf Galaxy or at my club. I can't even find what the swing weight is on the TEE site since it's an older club.

Kevin

The easiest thing to do to keep the swing weight similar would be to put a light weight grip on, winn lite ect.

The easiest thing to do to keep the swing weight similar would be to put a light weight grip on, winn lite ect.

Can you explain how that works? I don't know much about it.

Kevin

By putting a lighter weight shaft on the driver changes the overall weight of the club (obviously) but it also changes the swingweight, in a sense you would feel the club head more as the swing weight would increase. You can then offset this by cutting down the shaft which takes away swing weight. If you cut 1 inch off a shaft you would take 6 points or so off the swing weight, and by putting a lighter shaft in the club you have added swing weight so it will probably come pretty close to evening out (assuming you would shorten the shaft for you daughter). The grip takes away weight and would act similar to lighting the shaft, and I would guess that if you added the lighter shaft cut down one inch with a lighter grip, the swing weight would remain darn near the same as the original club. I'm sure there are others who are asleep right now who could explain it much better than me.

Kevin,

I honestly feel the swingweight issue is not one to worry about. It should rectify itself if (because Im assuming JL needs a driver cut to her size) you cut it down.

Kevin,

I honestly feel the swingweight issue is not one to worry about. It should rectify itself if (because Im assuming JL needs a driver cut to her size) you cut it down.

That was a much shorter way of saying it.

She's 5' 7" and plays a full length club. I guess I'm not getting how a lighter grip increases the swing weight.

Kevin

It moves the center of gravity down the shaft because chances are the original grip was heavier.
She's 5' 7" and plays a full length club. I guess I'm not getting how a lighter grip increases the swing weight.

Kevin

Putting a lighter shaft or a grip adds swing weight by changing the balance point of the club. I would make an analogy to a heavy ball on the end of a string or that same ball on the end of a chain. You are going to feel the weight of the ball much more when its on the string vs, the chain, thats all swing weight really is. When you put the light weight grip on a club you are moving the balance point more towards the head of the club, therefore slightly adding swing weight to the club.

So will this the design of this club be adversely affected with a 55 gram shaft because it was designed with a 68 gram shaft? The club could originally be purchased with a senior flex shaft with a 58 gram shaft. Would that club be designed differently to have the same swing weight as the regular flex 68 gram shaft, or would it just have a different swing weight?

Sorry I'm not too bright. I was never concerned with the stuff for myself, but I am for my daughter.

Kevin

I honestly feel that itll become 'just another club'. Once she gets used to the feel, Im sure all will be well.
So will this the design of this club be adversely affected with a 55 gram shaft because it was designed with a 68 gram shaft? The club could originally be purchased with a senior flex shaft with a 58 gram shaft. Would that club be designed differently to have the same swing weight as the regular flex 68 gram shaft, or would it just have a different swing weight?

Sorry I'm not too bright. I was never concerned with the stuff for myself, but I am for my daughter.

Kevin

I honestly feel that itll become 'just another club'. Once she gets used to the feel, Im sure all will be well.

So I'm over thinking this? I mean, what the hell, people are putting newer after market ultralite shafts in heads that came with heavier shafts, aren't they? Are they generally concerned with swing weight?

Kevin

I personally think you are over thinking this, but I like where your intentions are.

So I'm over thinking this? I mean, what the hell, people are putting newer after market ultralite shafts in heads that came with heavier shafts, aren't they? Are they generally concerned with swing weight?

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin, I've got a C. kua39. It weighs in at something ridiculous like 40 grams. I have a Winn lite grip on it, and although I can tell it's lighter - I'm not having problems with swing weight.

Tap before talk.

Kevin, I've got a C. kua39. It weighs in at something ridiculous like 40 grams. I have a Winn lite grip on it, and although I can tell it's lighter - I'm not having problems with swing weight.

What weight shaft did it replace?

Kevin

Kevin: If you are taking the club in to have the shaft replaced they should have a swing weight scale. As mentioned before don't get to hungup on the swing weight. If it is between D1 to D6 it should not be a problem. If the person replacing the shaft is worth his salt he should be able to make some grip suggestions to you.

Esox,
If you check out the first THP Radio show with Miyazaki they talk about swing weight and relate part of it to balance. Its a good listen.

Esox, thought I'd add a bit to the conversation and point out that of all SW issues, the shaft weight will have the least amount of effect on the SW ( I'm not saying going from 1 extreme to the other ie Steel to Graphite) but from what I've read, a difference of 9 grams is equal to 1 SW point. So the shaft you want to swap out will make a difference of 1.5 SW points and. I'm guessing she will have a hard time noticing a big difference.

I normally do some of my own reshafting, but I think if I were to switch to a much lighter shaft in my driver, I may want to leave it to a professional fitter to maintain proper swingweight. I would not want my driver to be something in the "E" swingweights.

Back