Srixon Z-Star Driver

Great looking club overall, but not sure how I like the club face. I've never really been a fan of the grooves all the way across the face of a driver. Does this affect the flight or spin much?

Great looking club overall, but not sure how I like the club face. I've never really been a fan of the grooves all the way across the face of a driver. Does this affect the flight or spin much?

None at all.

JB:
Have you heard any news about the STAR fitting app? Srixon's site still doesn't seem to have it available. This driver really interests me from all the review here on THP and other places.

Also, since the max model is 10.5, with the adjustability what is the max loft for this driver?
Also a Miyazaki review says:
Who’s It For – The Miyazaki Dromos shafts are design for better players who have an understanding of shaft dynamics, and can take advantage of them. The lowest flex available in this shaft is a R, so players with lower swing speeds should stand clear. With 8 versions and varying stiff throughout the shafts, with the use of the International Flex Code system, you can get varying ball trajectories, all with good control, great feel and reduced spin.

In your opinion what are they referring to "players with lower swing speeds" My driver ss was last measured at 88 mph. Would this then not be a good shaft fit for me?

Thanks

Last edited:
JB:
Have you heard any news about the STAR fitting app? Srixon's site still doesn't seem to have it available. This driver really interests me from all the review here on THP and other places.

Also, since the max model is 10.5, with the adjustability what is the max loft for this driver?
Also a Miyazaki review says:
Who’s It For – The Miyazaki Dromos shafts are design for better players who have an understanding of shaft dynamics, and can take advantage of them. The lowest flex available in this shaft is a R, so players with lower swing speeds should stand clear. With 8 versions and varying stiff throughout the shafts, with the use of the International Flex Code system, you can get varying ball trajectories, all with good control, great feel and reduced spin.

In your opinion what are they referring to "players with lower swing speeds" My driver ss was last measured at 88 mph. Would this then not be a good shaft fit for me?

Thanks

I would need more information on the rest of what they said, to determine what they mean or if they are accurate, but I will say that I believe with INTL Flex Code that one should have a fitting if possible.

I would need more information on the rest of what they said, to determine what they mean or if they are accurate, but I will say that I believe with INTL Flex Code that one should have a fitting if possible.

Correct me if I am wrong but when I hit these the rep said the dromos was not available in inything other than the standard R,S and Xstiff, and would not be available for customizing with the international flex code. Is this information not correct JB?

Correct me if I am wrong but when I hit these the rep said the dromos was not available in inything other than the standard R,S and Xstiff, and would not be available for customizing with the international flex code. Is this information not correct JB?

I do not know RW. They list the code on the shaft, so there are options out there I would guess. However whether or not they can be purchased as standard with the Z-Star, I dont know.

Still have not been able to get the new Z Star out to the range or golf course yet. It is the windy month in El Paso. Today and tomorrow are winds steady at 25+mph with gusts in the 30s and 40s. I am hoping to try tomorrow in prepartion for a tournament on Saturday. Either range time or 9 holes before putting it in play...if not I will confidently use the SL290 Cleveland on Saturday. Can't wait to put my thoughts on this driver out ot the THP community. Nothing worse than having a new piece of equipment and can't get out to use it.

Ranger, looking forward to your review. I too am looking hard at this puppy!. No one carries it in my area so unable to test drive, will have to rely on others like yourself to give me some direction
I also see you have the cg16 irons! I'm testing the CG16 7 iron courtesy of Cleveland's play it forward program. So far I've really enjoyed hitting this. avg around a club more on length. Really thinking of upgrading my current set to the Black Pearls only in graphite (the tester is steel).

thanks

FYI if you are in my south shore/Montreal area.
Two days ago, the Cleveland/Srixon rep contacted me and, he will be at the St-Hubert Golftown on Sunday, March 27 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
I'm excited, I will FINALLY get to demo that club from heaven.

Who am I kidding, I'm going to get fitted for a SRIXON, Z-star Driver!!!!!!!!!!! :clapp::clapp::rockon::golf::golf2:

Satruday finally arrived! Got to the big PGA Tour Stop demo day this morning before they started and was among the first in line. I had to start with the Cleveland/Srixon tent, of course.

I hit a few drives with my driver to warm up and then started with the Z-Star 10.5* in the 61g Stiff which was set to Neutral Upright with the two 7 weights in place. My first hit elicited a "Dayum" from me. As did the next few. Beautiful flight, wonderful trajectory, perfect feel and balance, a sound I love, and on line with my chosen target. I did have a tendency to miss a little left. The rep adjusted it for me to 1* open, we left the weights alone at 7 & 7. I stepped up and hit one dead straight at my target, one with a baby fade at my target, and one with a baby draw at my target. It was love.

But all the other vendors where there, too, so I had to try them all, right? Callaway, Mizuno, Adams, Titleist, Ping, Tour Exotics, Nike, Maruman, TaylorMade, and Lamborghini. Hit em all, in different lofts and shafts over the next hour and half. Some felt good, some sounded good, some flew pretty well, others not so much. But none of them were even close to dethroning the Z-Star/Dromos 61g combination.

So back to the Srixon tent again, a few more beautiful, buttery swings just to make sure, and I was sold. I've never, ever hit a driver so beautifully straight out of the gate with no breaking in period. The two dozen or so shots I hit with it were all within maybe 20 yards left to right of each other (intentional fades or draws) and landing in roughly the same distance range, even the couple of slight mis-hits. Very forgiving.

I was sure I would want the 72g shaft option, but after swinging the 61g and it feeling so amazing, I wasn't going to mess with perfection. It is so well balanced I didn't miss the extra weight I've gotten used to over the last decade of playing shafts over 72g.

Alas, the Tour Stop does not stock the Z-Star driver and they did not have a 10.5* Stiff in the fitting van new that they could sell me, but the rep lives near me and he thinks he has one in one of the 15 bags in his garage stock and will call me to meet up tomorrow to get it to me so I can have it in my bag for a tournament on Monday. Otherwise, if he doesn't have one in his garage, I have to wait 5-7 business days for the Tour Stop to order it.

Even better, they were doing 10% pricing for the demo day so it saves me $40! Win-Win!

I don't know if I have ever loved any other inanimate object as much as this driver. I want to carry it around with me all day and sleep with it cuddled up next to me in bed. (My pregnant wife probably won't let me, though...) And that's without even really experimenting with the weight and face options much. I have zero doubt that I will be able to dail it in quickly for optimal results and really improve my total driving in no time.

Nice write-up Penglynns
I'm really interested in this driver also. Alas no Srixon demo or local shops with club in stock to test b4 buying. Going to have to rely on write-ups like yours : )

off topic, how do you like GolfTec. We do have one about 70 miles from home that I've thought about checking out.

That is so cool that you got to hit this and it worked out so well for you. It also says alot for the company that the rep is going out of his way to get you in a club before your tournament.

Glad you found a driver you love. Having that confidence you described is sure to translate into performance.

Nice, thats really cool the rep is gonna meet up with you to sell you one out of his stock.

Nice write-up Penglynns
I'm really interested in this driver also. Alas no Srixon demo or local shops with club in stock to test b4 buying. Going to have to rely on write-ups like yours : )

off topic, how do you like GolfTec. We do have one about 70 miles from home that I've thought about checking out.

The demo day was the only way I'd be able to try one, either. None of the stores anywhere even remotely nearby are stocking them. If this event wasn't going to happen I would have ordered one from Blind9 and tried it out and tried to sell it if it didn't work out.

As for GolfTEC, I love them overall. Ours has a great staff, no pressure, very friendly, knowledgable, the technology and equipment is awesome. I do wish you could take all the same stuff and hit outdoors off of grass, but for the foundation work they are hard to beat, being able to see everything from all angles and the comparison shots, etc. It has certainly helped my game. I look forward to getting my new Z-Star into the system and optimizing everything on the launch monitor. :)

Well, just got word from the rep - he didn't have one in his garage. :(

So I called the tour stop back and they'll order it monday, now the horrible 7-10 business day wait begins.

I was able to take the Z Star out for a few rounds but I will only talk about today's round. The wind has been really bad here in El Paso. I used the driver on 11 holes and managed to hit 8 of 11 fairways. The driver has a different sound coming off the face than the Clevelands I usually play. It is more of a 'tank' sound. I played the weights at 3g in the front and 11g in the rear and played it 2 notches closed (less than 1*). I got a real nice ball flight with this set up a very penetrating ball flight that fought the wind pretty well. All 8 drives ended up close to center cut. I got similar distances as I do with the Cleveland SL290 250-260. My longest of the day ran to about 290. I find that this driver gets a lot of roll after landing which is not to unique with a desert course. All-in-all this is a club that has played its way into my bag. I will continue to put my thoughts on this driver as I get more oportunities to play it (ecspecially when its not windy). Winds today where 20-25 mph steady.

I was able to take the Z Star out for a few rounds but I will only talk about today's round. The wind has been really bad here in El Paso. I used the driver on 11 holes and managed to hit 8 of 11 fairways. The driver has a different sound coming off the face than the Clevelands I usually play. It is more of a 'tank' sound. I played the weights at 3g in the front and 11g in the rear and played it 2 notches closed (less than 1*). I got a real nice ball flight with this set up a very penetrating ball flight that fought the wind pretty well. All 8 drives ended up close to center cut. I got similar distances as I do with the Cleveland SL290 250-260. My longest of the day ran to about 290. I find that this driver gets a lot of roll after landing which is not to unique with a desert course. All-in-all this is a club that has played its way into my bag. I will continue to put my thoughts on this driver as I get more oportunities to play it (ecspecially when its not windy). Winds today where 20-25 mph steady.

Thanks, ranger. Glad it does well in the wind. Should come in handy here in FL, too.

I too am glad to hear it works well in the wind , as here in Kansas 20-25 mph winds is called a breeze .

Well, just got word from the rep - he didn't have one in his garage. :(

So I called the tour stop back and they'll order it monday, now the horrible 7-10 business day wait begins.

Thats a bummer there Penglynns. Keep us posted on how it works for you when it gets in for you.

Glad to hear its working out for you there ranger! Keep us posted.

I am waiting for my wrench and weights to come in. The rep I bought it from only had the driver and head cover. I want to fine tune my setup at golftec this week.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

I am waiting for my wrench and weights to come in. The rep I bought it from only had the driver and head cover. I want to fine tune my setup at golftec this week.

If the rep fine tuned it for you with a launch monitor, I don't believe you will end up changing the settings. I took the TM R-11 to the range the Tuesday after my fitting and decided to just play with the settings, I could not come within 15 yards of what they had set me up with using the monitor numbers and live range hitting. Having said that, it is kinda fun to try the other settings though.

If the rep fine tuned it for you with a launch monitor, I don't believe you will end up changing the settings. I took the TM R-11 to the range the Tuesday after my fitting and decided to just play with the settings, I could not come within 15 yards of what they had set me up with using the monitor numbers and live range hitting. Having said that, it is kinda fun to try the other settings though.

The rep didn't set it up for me because he didn't have the wrench or weights. This has not been fine tuned yet my numbers were pretty good, I just need to get a few degrees on the launch angle. I am going to get on the LM and try to get the launch up just a bit and still keep the good numbers. Right now I have the 3 on the back and the 7 in the side. I think putting the 7 in the back may leave me golden.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Back