the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
I'm playing here on Saturday. First away day of the year really!

Dundonald Links in Ayrshire. It's a fairly new course, and it notable for having links to the Loch Lomond club. Not unusual to see members arriving via helicopter to the links when it's too wet to play on Loch Lomond! Won't be me, unfortunately!

Check out the course tour -

http://www.dundonaldlinks.com/gallery/

I've also just noticed that European Tour pre-Q School qualifying will be taking place here this year.

That course looks absolutely amazing. Heading across the pond for a golf trip is one of the objectives on my to-do list in life.

Definately on my "bucket list" as well. This course looks amazing. I would love to play all the "classics" over there as well as some of the new gems. Definately on the short list.

This course looks AWESOME! I love links courses and hopefully will make a trip to Scotland sometime in my life. Have fun out there!

Lovely course about 20 miles from my front door. My workmates son is a caddie there. Enjoy !
Weather has been exceptional this week in Scotland, sunburn in March - unreal.

Gorgeous looking golf course paulo. I hope you have a great time out there.

Well I had fun. I played like a one eyed cow with a broken leg and a bad cold, but I had fun.

They had quite a few of the back tees on, stretching it out a bit. That made it tough. The greens weren't quite in summer mode yet, still a bit of feed and sand on them - so they were a little slow. I need not have worried, since I hardly hit one all day! :D

The course itself is pretty fair for a tough layout. From the fronts, it's a nice track and a test. From the backs, it can be brutal! Every tee shot gives you a risk/reward decision, with a decent amount of room if you decide to play safe. If you don't, there are quite a few penalising fairway bunkers that will make you wish you bailed out! I learned this as early as my first drive. A nice, gentle draw down the middle, drifting left side of the fairway, starting to roll and....yep, into a pot bunker!

The greens are quite large, and a feature of the course is how they slope and run off. Anything not on the right level will be gathered up and happily fed to a bunker or hollow. Really makes you think about the approach, and double check your yardage!

Looks like a great track Paulo, might definitely be worth the 1.5hour drive from my Aunty's place in Edinburgh for the twilight rates in the summer!

When I come up to Scotland for a golfing trip I'll give you a shout for some recomendations of places to play (aside from the obvious ones)

Looks like a great track Paulo, might definitely be worth the 1.5hour drive from my Aunty's place in Edinburgh for the twilight rates in the summer!

When I come up to Scotland for a golfing trip I'll give you a shout for some recomendations of places to play (aside from the obvious ones)

Yeah, do it. It's worth playing, but then that could be said for so many places. I don't know that I'd pay the full summer price, but only because there are so many other great courses available at cheaper rates.

Definitely give me a shout. We might even be able to arrange a THP meet up UK style. :D

Some day, I'd love to make a trip over that way to play. The website looks amazing. Thanks for sharing, paulo.

We've got tee times at Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, and St. Andrews New and Jubilee in late-April/early May. Thanks Paulo for posting about Dundonald -- really looking forward to playing there...! I don't think we'll be playing the back tees -- that wind over there is brutal, not to mention those pot bunkers!

We've got tee times at Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, and St. Andrews New and Jubilee in late-April/early May. Thanks Paulo for posting about Dundonald -- really looking forward to playing there...! I don't think we'll be playing the back tees -- that wind over there is brutal, not to mention those pot bunkers!

That's a nice list you've got there. You'll thoroughly enjoy all those courses. Western is one of my favourites, and it's literally next door to Dundonald. Kingsbarns is really nice too, and you might see quite a few similarities in the course design from there to Dundonald (same designer - very different courses, but same shot decisions!)
There's not a bad course on the list. Hope you get the weather too, although you're sure to get a mixed bag if you've got a few rounds booked. Makes it more interesting.

Thanks Paulo -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some decent weather but know it is going to be a mixed bag -- we played in Scotland a couple of autumns ago and the weather varied from brilliant at Lundin Links to some of the strongest winds I've ever experienced at Gullane. The golfing gods did not treat us that well on a recent trip to Alabama where we caught some very unseasonably cold weather, so I'm hoping they'll make it up to us this trip... We wanted to play a mix of some older and newer courses on this trip which is why we included Dundonald and Kingsbarns. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed Dundonald, so I am getting really psyched for the trip.

My sister lives in Gullane. It can be lovely and sunny and....horrendous golfing weather! When the wind blows, it's tough at least. Lundin Links is a nice course too, I've enjoyed playing there.

Weather's been pretty mild here recently, so I'm hoping we're shaping up for a decent summer. Sounds like you're due a good one. I can't see how your trip can fail to be a success with that list of courses! As long as you're ready for some long walks and some decent beer. :D

I'm up for long walks and good beer so am looking forward to it. I'm sure we'll sneak in a few drams of Highland Park as well. Man, I loved the town of Gullane and would move there in a minute if I could. I remember reading a book about life there before we visited -- "Playing Through: A Year of Life and Links Along the Scottish Coast by Curtis Gillespie." It was written by a Canadian guy that spent a year there with his young family.....fun times. If only they could tone down the wind a notch...

if you can shoot around par for 4 days here you will get past first stage of european tour qualifiying. tough course and in wind is very hard. but unlike carnoustie in wind it is scorable and if playing and putting good can shoot a low number. just have to be confidant in your game.

Back