Freaking Boo Weekley

I will agree with Boo not representing southerners. I act nothing like Boo and hope that is not the image people get of southern people. He represents a portion of southern people, but certainly not all of them. He is blue collar through and through and there is nothing wrong with that, but Boo stands out where a well spoken southern guy who never wears camo or the like will never be mentioned as southerner. I am afraid it is just the way it goes. It is like saying that all Jersey people are like those idiots on Jersey Shore or they are all gangsters like The Soprano's.

Still does not stop me from just liking the guy although I can certainly see why he would be off putting to some people, but anybody that has lived in the deep south knows the type and there are certainly people like him around where I live.

Perfect post SethO, couldn't have said it better myself, and I was in the process of trying to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embarassing? From the dudes Ive met, he puts on a fairly accurate image.

Good work Thainer. People taking you seriously and all.

I hope your kidding and it just doesn't come off that way. Otherwise, that is a pretty misguided perspective. Hopefully you can spend some more time in the South and see that he isn't really representative of our people. I feel awful when I hear comments like this.

My favorite thing about the guy is his swing. Simple and effective.

Thainer, you gotta get out more (especially south). Southeners don't all look like and talk like Larry the Cable Guy.

In regards to the topic, I like Boo. He seems like the kind of guy that I would see playing golf at a backwoods muni. I just wish he was in contention more. I would like to see him contending in a tournament on Sundays.

To be honest, I'd rather watch Boo trying to win a tourney than tiger or Phil. Not that I don't like them, but it's always fun watching someone that doesn't get to do it very often get a chance at winning. Real laid back guy. But I'm bias since he is my favorite player. Seems like a guy you can play a round of golf with, then have a nice cold one after. Treats everyone the same regardless who they are.

I will agree with Boo not representing southerners. I act nothing like Boo and hope that is not the image people get of southern people. He represents a portion of southern people, but certainly not all of them. He is blue collar through and through and there is nothing wrong with that, but Boo stands out where a well spoken southern guy who never wears camo or the like will never be mentioned as southerner. I am afraid it is just the way it goes. It is like saying that all Jersey people are like those idiots on Jersey Shore or they are all gangsters like The Soprano's.

Still does not stop me from just liking the guy although I can certainly see why he would be off putting to some people, but anybody that has lived in the deep south knows the type and there are certainly people like him around where I live.

Exactly Setho. I was married to a man of the South who was erudite, warm, pithy, and a true renaissance man. In fact, I've met more men from the South who share similar traits to those of my late husband than from any other part of North America and I'm from the 'bastion' of learned men, the Northeast. Stereotyping a Southerner as dumb or ignorant is like stereotyping all Canadians as mild mannered and polite or all NYers as loud, rude and brash.

In regards to Boo, I too have heard he is much smarter than he appears to be and his "good ole boy", "I'm a dumb country boy" is more of an act than the truth. I enjoyed his antics but like TC and others, I was embarassed by his interview with the BBC because it not only played to the stereotype of the simple country boy but also to the ignorant American. I don't particularly follow Boo on the golf course and I don't exactly wish him to do poorly. I'm in Hank's camp on this one.

What I found interesting on his appearance this morning on Morning Drive and the addition to him as a regular is what does this say about his golf playing days. He often is Monday Pro Am guy and if he is on Morning Drive on Mondays every week, does this mean he's downsizing his schedule or is he going to try and do more Wednesday Pro Ams?

I am not the biggest Boo fan. I don't have anything against him, just not a fan. I loved it though when he was tatted up at St. Andrews (i.e. camo).

I think it's great that they have someone like Boo on the Tour. And as for St. Andrews, perhaps he was just trying to get under the Euro's skin? Hey, one never knows.

Boo is awesome. He is who he is and make no apologies to anyone for that. You gotta respect a person like that.

Boo Boo is the man! He does seem like a genuine person. He reminds me of about 90% of the folks that live in my area! Well, except for the golf skilsl!

He would be near the top of my dream foursome list. He is a great guy

He would be near the top of my dream foursome list. He is a great guy

I'm right there with you on that. It'd just be laid back and enjoyable IMO

I think it's great that they have someone like Boo on the Tour. And as for St. Andrews, perhaps he was just trying to get under the Euro's skin? Hey, one never knows.

Nah, he was far too polite and respectful for that!

I can't get a handle on Boo at all, ever since his interview at St Andrews, when he more or less told a BBC reporter that he didn't know anything about the place and hadn't really heard of the course. I found that confusing at least.

He does seem to be a genuine kind of guy though, and pro golf needs as many of them as it can get.

My coach told me a story that because Boo was so insular growing up that when he was asked to play in the Ryder Cup a few years back he didn't actually know what it was.

I guess it can go either way, either endears you towards him due to his forest gump style innosence or makes you against him due to his lack of knowledge about the history/traditions of the game.

My coach told me a story that because Boo was so insular growing up that when he was asked to play in the Ryder Cup a few years back he didn't actually know what it was.

I guess it can go either way, either endears you towards him due to his forest gump style innosence or makes you against him due to his lack of knowledge about the history/traditions of the game.

I have a hard time believing that Boo(Or any Pro golfer for that matter) didn't know what the Ryder Cup was. I think your coach told you a fib.

I have a hard time believing that Boo(Or any Pro golfer for that matter) didn't know what the Ryder Cup was. I think your coach told you a fib.

He told the BBC that he didn't know the significance of St Andrews and had never heard of the Old Course!

He told the BBC that he didn't know the significance of St Andrews and had never heard of the Old Course!

Was this in a report or you actually watched it on tv? Because we all know things that people say sometimes end up being put on paper differently. He could have been joking/smiling when saying it just to mess around with someone nearby and then when you or I read it, it seems as though he is being serious. But then again he is Boo, im not sure if he actually plays much golf outside of the US if any?

Was this in a report or you actually watched it on tv? Because we all know things that people say sometimes end up being put on paper differently. He could have been joking/smiling when saying it just to mess around with someone nearby and then when you or I read it, it seems as though he is being serious. But then again he is Boo, im not sure if he actually plays much golf outside of the US if any?

It was an on-screen interview with (iirc) Hazel Irvine of the BBC. He came across as polite, but I think he's been quoted as saying "I didn't know it was the home of golf. I thought the home of golf was where I'm from". That sounds more tongue-in-cheek than the interview I watched!

Id be willing to bet he was joking when he said that. I think to a certain extent Boo does play the character of the, "aw shucks" country boy. I mean, how many people do you see who wear camo on the golf course?
He's definetly got game though and he's not some dumb redneck.

I really like Boo. He's a southerner, and he speaks his mind, stereotype, lol, there are 500 million of those in this world, and if we judged people by how they talk, as opposed to how they act, and the peson they are, they wouldn't and shouldn't exist. By trying to escape the southern stereotype, you are just falling into the pool of politically correctness that makes everybody the same. I would bet anything that Boo was trying to get under the skin of the Euro's when he made the St. Andrews comment, displaying a little pride in the USA. With all the robotic, no personality having guys on the PGA, it's good to have a Boo around, wish there were more. Heck, the euros are much more outgoing (fun, and always cracking jokes, and cracking on each other) than most of the stiff necks on the PGA. Boo would be in my dream foursome, and probably Graeme too, listening to Boo's stories, and drinking pints with Greame, good times.

Back