Your playing style

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
The other thread regarding the handicap being different from course to course, concerns about sandbagging, etc got me thinking. How many of you play to achieve the lowest total score and how many play to get the best score possible on each hole? This may sound the same, but look at it this way. Most of my rounds I play every year are part of a our mens club tournaments and weekly skins game. Outside of these rounds I might play 5-10 other rounds of golf a year as between these mens club tournaments there are 60+ rounds of golf I get in plus 3-5 days a week of practice on the range. During our regular 18 hole tournaments there will also be a skins game played. You can opt out of the skins if you want, but I think most participate. At the end of the year we have a payout as you get points for 1st-3rd every tournament, but its only in the $200-$600 range depending on finishing position.

So when I first joined I was a new golfer and was finishing toward the end of the pack every tournament as I was trying to get the lowest score I could as I focused on lowering my index, breaking, 100, 90, 80, etc. After awhile it dawned I got more excited when I won skins then when I broke a certain score, so I changed my game around and focused solely on getting the best score every hole and figured eventually the lower total scores would follow. To a degree they have, but not as expected. So now when I play I try and get on the green in 2 on every par 5, drive every short par 4, etc. and make birdie or eagle if possible. By doing this I am taking the most risk on every shot as it makes you basically hit perfect shots every time to succeed. I could just as easily layup on the par 5s and hit the green in 3 and 2 putt for par, but I know in my head I don't win skins with pars, I need birdies. I haven't gone out and played a round of golf in over a year with the intention on just a low score as every time I play there is something on the line, whether our mens tournaments or with friends and money is on the line. I wonder how much my index would change if I approached the game from a different standpoint? The only problem with changing is I am a adrenaline junky and fear that just trying for pars would be boring and not provide the same excitement as trying for the birdies and eagles.

A little bit of both but lean to your play style

I would say the easiest way to figure out how much of a difference it makes is to go to a really nice/tough course and play a round from a longer set of tees for you where you play crazy aggressive and then play a round where you play it smart. Going for par 5s in two when you have a 270 yard forced carry and other tough shots that come up will really blow your score up if you play aggressive.

I am usually pretty aggressive. I play irregular shots I don't practice and I really go after pins. I find I play pretty aggressive and then when it comes to the final holes I find myself slowly playing conservative on 15,16,17,18 which induces my collapses. My problem last year was not much strategy and thinking went into my game. I didn't consider my driving position on holes, or even where the pin was placed.

I just didn't play smart and want to change that this year and put more into my shots.

A lot of it depends on what style of game you are playing. My style is 100% different if I am playing match play, captains choice, or skins than if I'm playing stroke play. Stoke play is all about the total score and if you can simply put together 18 respectable holes your total will benefit. On the other hand with the other games in golf you can risk the strokes without too much fallout if you make a mistake. Just find your style and play your game. That will benefit you the most.

I am hyper aggressive off of the tee. I cut doglegs, play huge fades, try to carry creeks that are 250 yards out (around my max for carry), ect. Recently, this style has served me well.

In the fairway, I am a different monster. Hyper conservative, but that is mostly because my ball striking sucks. I rarely attempt a long carry, and have been known to take two clubs extra just so I can swing easy, trying to ensure good contact.

Around the greens, I become aggressive again. I am a very confident wedge player, so I rarely putt from off the green. I love playing all kinds of shots, flops, bump and runs, pitches, low high spinners, High low spinners.

A lot of it depends on what style of game you are playing. My style is 100% different if I am playing match play, captains choice, or skins than if I'm playing stroke play. Stoke play is all about the total score and if you can simply put together 18 respectable holes your total will benefit. On the other hand with the other games in golf you can risk the strokes without too much fallout if you make a mistake. Just find your style and play your game. That will benefit you the most.

I agree pretty much with Lukey here. Depends on what I'm playing for and the format. I'm pretty conservative, and wait for the other guy to self destruct. I think I live life the same way. Not a huge chance taker.

I'm trying to teach myself not to take stupid shots, but sometimes I just wish I had. Example, the course I played Sunday has a 215-225 yard carry over a creek on the first tee. The shot is downhill. I know that it' not a long carry, but it's cold and I'm not warmed up, so I decide to take a Mashie and lay up short of the creek. Ooops, I kill the ball and it ends up stopping about 6 inches from the creek in some tall grass. I hack out for my second shot. Still got a bogey, but I should have just hit the driver.

In general, my style of play is conservative. I try to play off the tee to give myself the best second shot possible. Then, I usually screw up the second shot haha,

If I'm playing a casual round I'll be more aggressive to see if I can pull off the shot...more like a practice round. In a tournament it depends on my position. If I need to play aggressive I will. If not, I won't. But regardless, I won't attempt a shot I've never practiced/tried before.

But regardless, I won't attempt a shot I've never practiced/tried before.

+1 on this. The only reason I play the way I do around the greens is because I practice all kinds of shots. A lot.

I'm conservative, quite conservative. I've always been a short hitter, so a lot of the more sexy risque shots have never been and never will be an option in my game, so for me i've always been more successful laying up.

It's fun to be aggressive in the scramble formats. I have learned to be conservative when playing in individual stroke play. Play the course and one hole at a time. I'm constantly working on becoming more consistent, where nerves don't over ride what I bring to the table.

Interesting question. My style has changed recently, and it's due to my getting better.

I used to be about a 12 - 14 handicap, and I would be aggressive on just about every shot. Meaning, I would cut doglegs, go after pins, go for every par 5 in 2 regardless of trouble, etc. My thinking was I was so inconsistent with my ball striking, that I had just as much chance of mishitting a 3-wood going for the green as laying up with a 7 iron, so I may as well get as close to the green as possible with the 3-wood.

However, the past couple of years I have been hitting the ball better (while playing/practicing less), so now I actually take calculated risks. Which means many times I will hit that 7-iron layup knowing I have a good chance of hitting my wedge to a decent distance on the green. Because of this, I have less blow-up holes and am able to shoot consistently in the high 70's, low 80's. I think if I really thought my way around a course, I could even improve those scores by 3 or so on average. But since I don't play full rounds that often, when I do I always want to play a couple of heroic/fun shots, just because. It doesn't help the score, but it keeps it interesting for me.

I only play aggressively if I am confident with the shot and how I am playing that day. I'm more about target golf and trying to make par but if I'm hitting my irons really good, I will shoot at the flag more than the center of the green and go for that long carry over water, etc. I get greedy! I'll never forget the day I had 4 birdies on the front 9 and then another day I had 3 in a row. What a feeling! Unfortunately I haven't had a day like that in quite a while.

Play lessons with my instructor have taught me a lot about course management and taking risks. I think I would take a lot more risks if I was more consistent though.

When I play during my league o play more aggressive depending upon how many strokes I'm getting or giving my opponent. When I play a round with friends I play more consersvative. One of the courses I play has a 220-235 yard carry over a creek then about 130 to the center of the green. I can carry it every now and then. Most of the par 3's have to carry over water also. I take 1 more club on those holes just to make sure I can get to the green.

I try to shoot low scores. I weigh each shot as it comes. I play in a weekly skins game, too, but never think about it when I'm on the course. Sometimes I'll win one or two, sometimes not. Doesn't concern me. There are several men's clubs events during the season where total won't matter, but not many. I take risks and I don't take risks depends on the moment.

The one risk I take every damn week is trying to carry the creek on the first hole on my course. Last season was my first there. I have not carried it yet, and bounce or fly into it one out of every three times or so. I don't care. Three years ago I would have carried it every freakin' time if I would have been a member at this place, and I'm going to carry it eventually.

Kevin

I try to shoot low scores. I weigh each shot as it comes. I play in a weekly skins game, too, but never think about it when I'm on the course. Sometimes I'll win one or two, sometimes not. Doesn't concern me. There are several men's clubs events during the season where total won't matter, but not many. I take risks and I don't take risks depends on the moment.

The one risk I take every damn week is trying to carry the creek on the first hole on my course. Last season was my first there. I have not carried it yet, and bounce or fly into it one out of every three times or so. I don't care. Three years ago I would have carried it every freakin' time if I would have been a member at this place, and I'm going to carry it eventually.

Kevin

Time to move up a tee? :act-up:

Oh snap.

You can comment, junior, when snowmen are no longer your handicap.

Kevin

Touche.

I actually don't think there was a single 8 on my last score card. Whole lotta 6's though.

I'm not long enough any more to be hyper-aggressive. I just try to play the shots I know I can execute, and only take a serious risk when there is nothing left to lose if I fail. :D

See sig update. That comeback had some sting.

BURN!!!!!!!!FACE!!!!!!!!

I fall into the group that I am now getting shorter off the tee and cannot be super agressive anymore. Therefore I tend to be more conservative than I really want to be.

I'm pretty aggressive off the tee. Not because I want to, because I have to be. I have to take driver off almost every tee to keep up with these long hitting high schoolers. In the fairway, I'm pretty moderate. I feel I go for the pins I should go for, and bale out on sucker pins. But if I have to hit a shot close late in a match to a tough pin, I always feel like I can. On the greens, I'm super conservative. You rarely see me run one 4 or 5 feet past.

Back