Mulligans... Do you use them??

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
I was just thinking about Mulligans after reading someone else's post. So, I thought it would be a good idea to hear everyone's take on them. I have a friend of mine, who likes to use mulligans. When we play, he always yells out "1 mully per 9". There is a standing rule that it can only be used on the tee box. Then I always laugh. He uses his most of the time. I don't always use mine. So to each their own.

Let's hear what the rest of you do. It will be interesting to see if and how other's use them. If you have a rule to using them, let us know that too.

Only when it's freaking cold out and we were too dumb to dress warmly.

I report every round into my handicap, so no I do not use them.

We usually allow a mulligan on the first tee if don't get to warm up at the range, or there is no range, before playing. Otherwise, we don't.

Nope...never

I let my father have a mulligan per side every time we play. I am out there to have fun and I want the people I play with to have fun as well. If its agreed upon, I will use one every once in a while. I have been strict on myself over the last year or so though. I quite enjoy knowing my score is what I really scored.

I screw around till the season starts (April 1) after that any round I report to the USGA is strict rules. I don't look down on anyone who does. We all play the game for different reasons and whatever makes you happy as long as it doesn't affect my pace of play is fine with me.

I let my father have a mulligan per side every time we play. I am out there to have fun and I want the people I play with to have fun as well. If its agreed upon, I will use one every once in a while. I have been strict on myself over the last year or so though. I quite enjoy knowing my score is what I really scored.

I'm definitely of this mind set with some buddies I play with. They are definitely NOT entering scores for Handicap. I rarely use them but I have also never kept a handicap until this year. If I play with them and am planning on entering a handicap, I will not use a mulligan. But if we're enjoying beverages and having more fun than I might.

Ultimately, the mulligan to me is about having fun when playing too. I think if you keep a handicap, its defeating the purpose of a handicap. If you're score/handicap goes down from a 12 to a 10, you're hurting yourself. I play in a golf league at work and we have a ton of people who cheat. We keep very unofficial handicaps but it cracks me up how they don't understand that doesn't help them!

Oh well, I use that league more for networking/socializing than anything else.

We usually allow a mulligan on the first tee if don't get to warm up at the range, or there is no range, before playing. Otherwise, we don't.

The breakfast ball! I was introduced to that last weekend.

My group allows 2 off of the first tee. With that said we do not always use them and most of the guys I play with do not warm up on the range before hand. After that we play everything straight up as we usually have a small skins game and a little match play to keep it interesting.

Ive heard that when you golf in Michigan, its like a requirement off of the tee.

I thought my boss was joking, until we played up there, and I laced one down the middle and the guy we were playing with from MI said to go ahead and hit another. I just joked it laughed "it wasnt going to get any better than that one" and went and sit down

It really depends, if I am keeping score for my handicap then I will not use a mulligan. If I am just playing, then yes I probably will but only for one set occurance. That is if I tee shot a ball into the water off a slice or hook, I will typically hit another one because i want to try and correct what caused that to happen in the first place.

I made the mistake of starting to keep my handicap early this year and as a result it has gone from 17 up to 20 thanks to lost balls disappearing in the mud in the middle of the fairway and having to drop a new one. I likely won't be tracking another round for my handicap until May.

I typically only keep my handicap from late april until they airate the greens for winter around here which seems to happen around mid to late October. Before April and after October I just play purely for fun and half the time don't even keep score at all.

I use them off the tee. I don't if I am keeping score or if the course is busy.

I screw around till the season starts (April 1) after that any round I report to the USGA is strict rules. I don't look down on anyone who does. We all play the game for different reasons and whatever makes you happy as long as it doesn't affect my pace of play is fine with me.

I do the exact same thing. From October 15th to April 1st HC's are closed so it doesn't really matter what you do out there so I am mostly working on my game and having some fun. When HC's open up though there are no mulligans, my score is my score.

The only time we use them is if we show up to the course late and don't have time to warm up, we call them breakfast balls off the first tee only. you don't have to use it but if you like then feel free. once the second ball is in the air it's in play. These are rare occassions always seems to happen when I ma teeing it up with the boss or I am a guest of a club member.

Breakfast Ball! After that it's Summer Rules, although I hate the concept of OB (for another thread I'm sure).

no mulligans for me. I don't care if others in my group use them as long as it doesn't hold anyone up.

I use them all the time when Im playing practice rounds, but I never actually use them for score. I just hit multiple shots sometimes.

But I never use them in a serious or competitive round.

I guess it depends on who I'm playing with. I used to use them more-so when I was younger, but the more serious I've gotten about the game the less I use them.

I play with plenty of people that use them, especially off the first tee, but I do not. If I hit an errant tee shot then if just gives me practice on my recovery is my thinking.

I use them all the time when Im playing practice rounds, but I never actually use them for score. I just hit multiple shots sometimes.

But I never use them in a serious or competitive round.

This!

And if I am playing a practice round and I don't have someone close behind me on the course I might have two balls in play. But that is only as I said if I don't bother any one else.

Tapatalk - keeping me busy at work.

Don't use them. :golf2:

only use 9 per side, j/k but we do take one on the 1st hole

Back