Odyssey DART Putters

Gonna stop by Dicks and another golf shop in Champaign today and see if they have the Backstryke Dart, give it a roll.

Here's what I found: this particular putter helped take more of my brain out of the equation. This putter puts itself in the right positions at address and it's my job to just put the stroke on it. And the results of trusting this putter were outstanding.

This is exactly what I felt when I first tried the BackStryke at my local EWatts. Its performance far outweighed my personal "dislike" of this style of putter. I never thought something that "ugly" would ever be in my bag. I have dropped my putting avg. almost half a stroke a hole just by opening my eyes to something different!

TC, what are some of the advantages to a center shafted putter?

On top of what TC said, I feel that the CS setup makes it much easier to keep the pendulum type stroke without opening or closing the face.

Tried one of these out today at Dicks. The look wasn't that appealing but, it shocking to see how easy they are to line up. Rolled several 12 to 15' putts in. I tried several different putters but kept going back to the Dart. Even tried a #9 like mine up against it and sunk more balls with it. Is it just "new putter" luck or is this thing really that easy to align?

SBST buddy.
The mallet is going to suit you. I listened to that radio show with the putter balancing and strokes and I think you are going to see a new world open up to you.

Tried one of these out today at Dicks. The look wasn't that appealing but, it shocking to see how easy they are to line up. Rolled several 12 to 15' putts in. I tried several different putters but kept going back to the Dart. Even tried a #9 like mine up against it and sunk more balls with it. Is it just "new putter" luck or is this thing really that easy to align?

I came across the same thing. It does something to your eyes. When its aligned your eye just seems to "know" its lined up right.

I came across the same thing. It does something to your eyes. When its aligned your eye just seems to "know" its lined up right.

Yep, had that feeling too SH. Seems like I set my feet up square to the target line easier too.

I rolled the DART mallet and blade a lot today and going in I thought for sure I'd come away liking the blade better but the overall balance and feel of the mallet won me over. I've been a mallet guy for 100 years and recently converted back to a blade, the mallets then began to feel bulky and awkward but the DART mallet just flat out impressed me so much I put my order in with my tour rep today. I cannot wait to game this baby!

I rolled the DART mallet and blade a lot today and going in I thought for sure I'd come away liking the blade better but the overall balance and feel of the mallet won me over. I've been a mallet guy for 100 years and recently converted back to a blade, the mallets then began to feel bulky and awkward but the DART mallet just flat out impressed me so much I put my order in with my tour rep today. I cannot wait to game this baby!

damn puttin got hooked hard. haha. I'm a blade putter guy and didn't like the blade darts that well. But the mallet was a great looking club and it had me pretty close to changing.

Congrats P4B!

I think theyre that easy to align.

I've been a mallet guy for 100 years
Isn't that a severe disadvantage for your MC team or is the plan to tire your opponent out as they help you hobble around the course? Either that or Team Paradise doesn't think much of their opposition... :p

I'm impressed with all the love for the Darts. I thought it was a bit silly initially but these putters do roll true and the alignment aid is so much easier then the 2 Ball. I'm suprised with the Back stryke love though given some of the comments around when they first came out.
When trying it out I found I over powered a lot of the putts with it. The optical illusion of the shaft streching to the back was just too much for eye at the time despite loving center shafted putters. Next time I get the chance I'm going to have a go with the heel shafted mallet and see how that works out.

Rolled the Dart, Dart Backstryke, and Blade. The Dart Backstryke really felt different to me then my normal putter, the insert made it feel very soft on contact with the ball and I just couldn't seem to get the speed right on longer putts, the Dart felt about the same as the Backstryke and I really noticed no difference in lining up putts with the more normal shaft placement. The Dart Blade is where I noticed the biggest difference, the feel off the face was quite solid almost as if there were no insert at all, now I've never used a putter with an insert before for any stretch of time so this might be true with other insert putters, but it certainly made me feel like I had more control over the distance of the putt. Out of the 3 Dart putters the Blade was the best performer for me I holed quite a few more putts with the blade then the other Dart models.

I will say the Dart system definitely worked for me today, I would pick random objects around the putting green other then the hole and aim at those points and you could really line up just exactly where you wanted to hit the putt. I'd really like to get these on a real putting green to see if my observations translate to more made putts on a real green.

sweet buddy, I like the confidence that has already been built with this putter for you. Those Hackers wont know what hit em!

the dart alignment with the traditional anser setup if very interesting, i wouldn't mind trying one out and i expect to see a few of them in other peoples bags this year.

I came VERY VERY VERY close to walking out of golf galaxy with the backstryke dart putter. I don't have the money to drop on a $200 putter but if I did I would take a flyer on that one. I hit it well indoors (better than some others I tested out), but it wasn't convincing enough to force a purchase. It was however, very close.

You Morgan Cup people have a heck of an option with this putter (if it is one on your list).

Last edited:
I tested all 3 DART putters yesteray when trying to settle on a putter for the Morgan Cup. Of the 3 my favorite was the malet.

I came VERY VERY VERY close to walking out of golf galaxy with the backstryke dart putter. I don't have the money to drop on a $200 putter but if I did I would take a flyer on that one. I hit it well indoors (better than some others I tested out), but it was convincing enough to force a purchase. It was however, very close.

You Morgan Cup people have a heck of an option with this putter (if it is one on your list).

This is the one Im going to be getting, so this is good to read. Im hoping the next time I visit GG they have one in stock.

This is the one Im going to be getting, so this is good to read. Im hoping the next time I visit GG they have one in stock.

If I had just a little more "OEM" in me I would own it right now... but I dont. Consider it one of my weaknesses

I have had the chance to try it out. Not saying it bad, but not really a huge difference from any other odyssey mallet

I have had the chance to try it out. Not saying it bad, but not really a huge difference from any other odyssey mallet

Agreed - I hit a couple of them today and had the same impression, nice but nothing spectacular.

I dont know if feel/sound wise I got much different from the White Ice line but once you get the alignment system down, it blows the others out of the water. So easy to aim once you get it down and its more point n putt at that point.

I focus more on my body posture because I don't have to worry about aim which is 90% of my worries.

I dont know if feel/sound wise I got much different from the White Ice line but once you get the alignment system down, it blows the others out of the water. So easy to aim once you get it down and its more point n putt at that point.

I focus more on my body posture because I don't have to worry about aim which is 90% of my worries.

I said something along those lines the other day yoccos. The DART just takes more of my brain out of the equation, and sometimes, that's a very good thing.

I'm pretty pumped about this putter. It's certainly a unique thing for my golf bag. I hope it genuinely makes a difference for me.

Me too TC. The best part about spending as much time as I have, I really think I found the best putter right now for me. This is one of those putters that once it clicks for someone, it clicks.

The other part that really helped is rather than focus on looks, the associates at PGA SS were knowledgable and really explained the DART technology. Sometimes for me, I just need to see and hear it together.

I said something along those lines the other day yoccos. The DART just takes more of my brain out of the equation, and sometimes, that's a very good thing.

I'm pretty pumped about this putter. It's certainly a unique thing for my golf bag. I hope it genuinely makes a difference for me.

Back