Cleveland Mashie Review

True, to each their own, but when TM has a stupid commercial that says something like the R11 is better cuz it's white, I imagine a good amount of people do care about the asthetics.

But yeah, I can see the other side. :)

Edit: Yeah JB. My dad had one of those old school clunkers of a Volvo and I hated it so bad!!!! :)

True, to each their own, but when TM has a stupid commercial that says something like the R11 is better cuz it's white, I imagine a good amount of people do care about the asthetics.

But yeah, I can see the other side. :)

Edit: Yeah JB. My dad had one of those old school clunkers of a Volvo and I hated it so bad!!!! :)

Well, mine is a newer Volvo (2007), but I bought a nice and safe car. But like I said, I dont use my car to compete. If I did, I would choose performance over looks every day of the week. In golf, I choose performance every time. Its the reason I like Miyazaki shafts, because their performance is the best out there for my swing. Putting one of those standard in a hybrid for this price is amazing to me.

And again, I actually like the look, but even if I hated it, I would play it with no problem, because its the best performing hybrid I have ever hit.

And Callaway taught us all about that commercial....Bahhhhh!

Oh, I can learn to like something if it works, but for me it starts with the looks...A club has to "look good" for me to give it a go. Who knows, it may grow on me enough to give it a whirl. For now, I'll stick with my pretty Pings.

And that is the major issue. If the mashie hits the ball as well off turf as it does in a controlled setting, then dang, just dang, its a great club. And, after the reviews, I do have to say, its probably a dang great club!

And that is the major issue. If the mashie hits the ball as well off turf as it does in a controlled setting, then dang, just dang, its a great club. And, after the reviews, I do have to say, its probably a dang great club!

Do yourself a favor and give it a fair shake. I'd say that about all the other options out there too, btw. Still, the real attractive thing about this club to me is it's versatility. It's really just a solid performer in so many situations. Like JB, I like the look.

Not going to argue with that JB.

My first session with the club @ the local Golfsmith was a mixed bag. I think I was distracted by the looks and it was after a long session of trying out different drivers so it performed only so-so. Also, when I'm tired, my old swing flaw that produces a hook starts kicking in and I was struggling a bit. Lots of topped balls as well as the club comes down funny on me if I try to force my swing.

This past session last week was awesome. I loved the SMACK I was getting from them and I was hitting them probably as well as I could expect. I'm still waiting on a outdoor demo day (yes, I have a mental block at trusting a store launch monitor only), but I have to admit, I think the club deserves all the adoration it's getting. I'm not quite sold yet, but I'm a good ways there.

I don't really care what a club looks like, I will just try it to see how it hits. Heck it could be a hot pink hybrid and I would try it to see if I hit it better than my current hybrid. I like to think trying causes buying.

Here's another hang up of mine...After market accessories like head covers...HATE THEM. No lions, tigers or bears. No NFL, NHL, MBL, NBA or NCAA on my bag. And hate is such a strong word. OEM for me. I'd give the Mashies a try if they were at least hid in the bag by a decent head cover.:deadhorse:

Seriously now...I may own a Mashie by the end of the summer. Ugly as it may be, I like the way it felt when I hit it off the matt last weekend. Maybe I'll buy some DST headcovers off ebay to cover them :)

Not going to argue with that JB.

My first session with the club @ the local Golfsmith was a mixed bag. I think I was distracted by the looks and it was after a long session of trying out different drivers so it performed only so-so. Also, when I'm tired, my old swing flaw that produces a hook starts kicking in and I was struggling a bit. Lots of topped balls as well as the club comes down funny on me if I try to force my swing.

This past session last week was awesome. I loved the SMACK I was getting from them and I was hitting them probably as well as I could expect. I'm still waiting on a outdoor demo day (yes, I have a mental block at trusting a store launch monitor only), but I have to admit, I think the club deserves all the adoration it's getting. I'm not quite sold yet, but I'm a good ways there.

They have the Mashie Tour Model for you hookers out there :thumb:

They have the Mashie Tour Model for you hookers out there :thumb:

I did not know that, I may give them another look then, the demo Mashie y'all had at Jonesco was a hook machine for me, so I only gave it 4 swings and that was it.

I'm going to give the Mashie 3 a little more time before it goes on time out and my 7 wood goes back in my bag. :angry: I still love my Mashie 4 and 5 though. I just can't figure out the mental block with the darn 3. I hate to be defeated though so a little more time. I can hit it beautifully on occasion. Just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

What's the issue, KB?

Oh, I can learn to like something if it works, but for me it starts with the looks...A club has to "look good" for me to give it a go. Who knows, it may grow on me enough to give it a whirl. For now, I'll stick with my pretty Pings.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. If I can't look down at it and it doesn't look good in my eyes... I can't use it.

I just keep trying to sweep the darn thing like a fairway wood and I've hit so many bad shots with it that I get up there with no confidence. I hit it so good on the range but get into play with it and choke. Still early with only a couple weeks using it. I don't use it much but I'm disappointed so far. I've NEVER used a 3 hybrid before so it's new to me. I'll keep working with it. I just loved my 7 wood before and I'm a bit disappointed that the M3 isn't out performing it. Wonder why I do good with the 4 and 5 though? Definitely a user issue, not a club issue!

I'm going to give the Mashie 3 a little more time before it goes on time out and my 7 wood goes back in my bag. :angry: I still love my Mashie 4 and 5 though. I just can't figure out the mental block with the darn 3. I hate to be defeated though so a little more time. I can hit it beautifully on occasion. Just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

This souns like me with the M1. I can hit the M3 and M5 very well but have issues with the M1. I realize it is a bit longer but I just do not seem to hit the M1 very well. I hope to work it out at the outing or maybe before.

I just keep trying to sweep the darn thing like a fairway wood and I've hit so many bad shots with it that I get up there with no confidence. I hit it so good on the range but get into play with it and choke. Still early with only a couple weeks using it. I don't use it much but I'm disappointed so far. I've NEVER used a 3 hybrid before so it's new to me. I'll keep working with it. I just loved my 7 wood before and I'm a bit disappointed that the M3 isn't out performing it. Wonder why I do good with the 4 and 5 though?

yea yea yea. She just wants my 7 - wood :D

KB, you need to think of the M3 like you would an iron. Adjust your ball position accordingly and hit down on the ball.

yea yea yea. She just wants my 7 - wood :D

Now you know I love my Clevelands! As good as that 3 wood of mine is, why would I want your TM instead of a new Cleveland 7 wood? Now if you're offering, I will be glad to take over testing for you and see what all the fuss is about. :act-up:

KB, you need to think of the M3 like you would an iron. Adjust your ball position accordingly and hit down on the ball.

Hawk -- That's exactly what I told her last night dude!

I try and I'm going to keep trying! It's just a mental block that I know I can overcome with time and patience.

I just keep trying to sweep the darn thing like a fairway wood and I've hit so many bad shots with it that I get up there with no confidence. I hit it so good on the range but get into play with it and choke. Still early with only a couple weeks using it. I don't use it much but I'm disappointed so far. I've NEVER used a 3 hybrid before so it's new to me. I'll keep working with it. I just loved my 7 wood before and I'm a bit disappointed that the M3 isn't out performing it. Wonder why I do good with the 4 and 5 though? Definitely a user issue, not a club issue!

Play it more towards the middle of your stance. Hit it like an iron. No sweeping....

Play it more towards the middle of your stance. Hit it like an iron. No sweeping....

Knowing what to do and doing it seem to be two different things for me. I ride the short bus sometimes. :act-up:

Knowing what to do and doing it seem to be two different things for me. I ride the short bus sometimes. :act-up:

I suffer from that same affliction as well! :banghead:

I actually play the longer hybrids in the front third of my stance. That was the advice Andy gave me. I'd play a 3 iron there too.

Went back to the local big box today and hit the mashie again. Instead of focusing on the looks, I just hit some balls.Again this club mashes the ball, pardon the pun. Crisp, clean, ball rockets off the face.

Then I setup at address looked at the top of the club. I studied it, then hit another shot. Looked at the club again and then decided that this is a great club. Feeling how the ball just launches off the face, how easy this club is to hit, and hit with what seems like enormous power, well I decided I'm going to have to put one in my bag. I'm gonna replace my TM 3 rescue with the Mashie. I know this club will be a fine addition to my bag!

Who cares the the head isn't black? Not me! :comp:

Back