Favorite Guitar Riffs

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
What are your five favorite guitar riffs and your five favorite guitarists? This is about as subjective as you can get. :)

1. Comfortably Numb, David Gilmour, Pink Floyd
2. Eruption, Eddie Van Halen, Van Halen
3. Fire Your Guns, Angus Young, AC/DC
4. Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Hendrix Experience
5. Stairway to Heaven, Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin; Lost in Love, Alvin Lee, Ten Years After

Favorite guitarists, in alphabetical order:

1. David Gilmour
2. Tony Iommi
3. Jimmy Page
4. Eddie Van Halen
5. Angus Young

Riffs or solo's? You have them mixed up a bit there. For riffs

1. Life in the Fast Lane: Eagles
2. Sunshine of your love: Cream
3. Heartbreaker: Zep
4. I can't get no satisfaction: Stones
5. CHina Groove: Doobies

deliverance - dueling banjos... the chief guy from CHiPs vs the inbred guy

Stairway by LZ
Alive by Pearl Jam
Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
All Along the Watchtower by Jimi

and, above all

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic.

Duane Allman's solo on Whipping Post.
Duane Allman's slide guitar on Don't Keep Me Wondering
Duane Allman's solo on Statesboro Blues

Yep, he was my favorite all time. Loved the Allman Brothers Band back in the day.

has to be-----opening riff to IRON MAN
Purple Haze aint too shabby either
anything done by B.B. King

This certainly isn't the greatest, but the one that gets me going and sticks in my head is the lead in to Angel of Death by Slayer.

The solo in "My Sharona", and Springsteen wailing away in "Prove It All Night". That was awesome beyond belief when I saw it live at 17 years old from the fourth row. He stills plays the same guitar 33 years later.

Mark Knopfler has some good ones, too.

Kevin

The intro on the Rolling Stones' "Can You Hear Me Knockin'"

Also love both the guitar and sax solos on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street"- that song always puts me in a good mood.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Last edited:
Just about anything that Les Claypool does. He may be the best bassist I have ever heard, pure insanity what that guy does on a bass.

If I could only listen to one group for the rest of my life, it would most likely be either Zeppelin or Uriah Heep. Mick Box and David Byron had a magical sound in the early 70's and I enjoy every one of their albums today as much as I did then. Byron is truly missed. As far as just the sound of guitar my favs are:

Jose Feliciano
Chet Atkins
Yngwie Malmsteen
EVH
Mark KNopfler
Joe Satriani

Not in any Particular order.

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Fairies Wear Boots - Black Sabbath
Walk - Pantera
The Rocker - Thin Lizzy
Welcome Home - Coheed and Cambria

James Hetfield, Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page

Any thing by David Gilmour is good with me. I'm also a huge fan of Joe Walsh & Eric Clapton, and while Angus Young made AC/DC, his brother was the anchor. Don Felder of the Eagles could rock as well. On their reunion tour in 94, they did Hotel California as a acoustic piece with classical guitar's and I have been working on it on my classical guitar.

1. David Gilmour
2. Joe Walsh
3. Eric Clapton
4. Don Felder
5. Malcolm Young

1. Limelight-Rush
2. Peace Sells-Megadeth
3. YYZ-Rush
4. Voodoo Child- Hendrix or SRV
5. Jerry was a Race Car Driver-Les Claypool (6 string bass)

Huge Pink Floyd fan so props to all of the prior listings. Lazy Eye by the Silverspun Pickups is pretty sweet. Probably my favorite is Mysterious Ways. The Edge goes off.

Huge Pink Floyd fan so props to all of the prior listings. Lazy Eye by the Silverspun Pickups is pretty sweet. Probably my favorite is Mysterious Ways. The Edge goes off.

Have you ran through David Gilmour's On An Island? Some of his best work on that one. His Live In Gdańsk is another must have. The CD is great and the DVD even better.

Opening riff of "Cause we Ended as Lovers" by Jeff Beck

Riff from Start Me Up, one of the most infectious Keef riffs of all time

Riff from Ain't Superstitious by The Jeff Beck Group

riff from Possum Kingdom by the Toadies

This one:

Got them both Hoosier. Gilmour is amazing. As is Mark Knolfer. Forgot to give him his due.

Sean, what a tough question you ask. I grew up in the 80's, so I love hair bands. I also listen to and play a lot of classic 70's rock as well. Here are a few of my favorite hooks/riffs and guitarists. "Cold Shot" by SRV. "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" by Eddie Van Halen. George Lynch of Dokken is awesome. "Girls Got Rhythm" Angus and Malcolm Young. "Hotel California" what a ton of talent there. Someone else mentioned "My Sherona", awesome and easy to play! The hook in "Jessie's Girl" is easy to play as well. And... ya gotta love Dimebag Darrell. Just my two cents. Best regards. Mike

Got them both Hoosier. Gilmour is amazing. As is Mark Knolfer. Forgot to give him his due.

Kind of the way I feel about Jeff Beck........How could I forget him.....

Back