Can THP Become Part of GHIN ?

Thanks for the head's up, I started my oob account a while ago but never keep it updated!

Put me on the list for joining the THP club when it get's started. I love the idea.

is OOB the same as lets say the yahoo handicap tracker?

Ive used that for a few years so it has all of my scores in it, but this year I signed up for a club that has GHIN as well, that I will use for an official one obviously

I would keep track of mine on THP.

Looks like I was mistakenly thinking that this could be used for an official handicap. If that is not the case, what is the difference between GHIN and OOB or FairwayFiles? Guess I am trying to justify why I would pay $20 annually if it could not be used to establish an official handicap. Any insight or education here that someone could give would be most appreciated!

Looks like I was mistakenly thinking that this could be used for an official handicap. If that is not the case, what is the difference between GHIN and OOB or FairwayFiles? Guess I am trying to justify why I would pay $20 annually if it could not be used to establish an official handicap. Any insight or education here that someone could give would be most appreciated!

If you plan to play in "official" events, say the county amateur in the county you live in, or even club championship's in most cases, you have to have an official handicap to play.

My home course requires a official index for leagues and any tournament where handicaps are used.

This morning was reading about GHIN scoring. Was wondering if THP might be able to do GHIN for its members. I know a group that if you are a member they charge $20 a year keep GHIN . I do mine through GOLFTEC. Maybe THP can work something out and raise alittle money at the the time. I would rather pay THP than anyone else.

I would definitely join this. Good idea.

If you plan to play in "official" events, say the county amateur in the county you live in, or even club championship's in most cases, you have to have an official handicap to play.

My home course requires a official index for leagues and any tournament where handicaps are used.

I was aware of the requirements for tourney play but I am trying to understand the benefits of paying for this service when it does not establish an official handicap? How is it any different from OOB or FF?

I was aware of the requirements for tourney play but I am trying to understand the benefits of paying for this service when it does not establish an official handicap? How is it any different from OOB or FF?

If THP were an official partner with GHIN, it would be an official handicap.

Cool - that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks JB!!!

But, JB, I'm pretty sure you have to be a course club with a handicap chairman or committee in place to be licensed. I could be wrong though. Still researching.

I would love for this to happen.

I haven't really been that thrilled with Fairway Files, but the price is right.

well keep us posted, Im definitely interested since I dont see myself as a member of this golf club next year, and I could easily get 5-10 people to sign up as well

Even though my league does it, I would use thp for rounds I play outsside of league

The problem with this is when it is done through your home course the "Handicap Chairman" is suppose to be able to keep tabs on the members and if someone isn't turning in their scores or is shooting rounds well below his handicap the Chairman can adjust the persons handicap. I realize this rarely takes place anyway but that's the idea. If you were keeping your HDCP through THP no one in charge would have any idea if your going out and winning tournaments every weekend shooting 78's with an 18 handicap.

Let us not forget Golf is a sport based on Honesty. The Sand Baggers you refered will be figured out. THP members wont cheat themselves. :D

Let us not forget Golf is a sport based on Honesty. The Sand Baggers you refered will be figured out. THP members wont cheat themselves. :D

To many, saying no sandbagging is like saying no speeding while driving down the freeway.....LOL I bet sandbagging has been part of golf since nearly day one.

There is one senior who plays at our course who is accused of sandbagging every year. He has about a 10-13 handicap but often shoots in the upper70's/low 80's. What people fail to realize is that our rating from the senior tees is very low so when he shoots a relatively low score, it still gives him a generous handicap. I know for a fact that he turns in all his scores and it frustrates me when people don't understand the handicap system. Here is an example of his scores and handicap conversion.

* H 12/10 74 65.6/111 8.6
* H 11/10 79 65.6/111 13.6
* H 10/10 80 65.6/111 14.7
* H 10/10 78 65.6/111 12.6

On the other hand, we do have some true sandbaggers for sure!

That is correct. Hence the reason I said still working on it and researching. They have offered this to us with certain understandings of what must transpire and we are working on a solution that fits.

http://www.usga.org/clubs_courses/cwore/Club-Membership/

JB and company already do an awesome job of making this a great site for golf enthusiasts.

BUT.

I can not stress enough how very awesome it would be if we could all keep track of our handicap via this already immensely useful site. Please JB, keep us updated on this topic! :act-up:

Very true. There are some local events that you can play in with an unofficial handicap. Golf Channel Am Tour, eGolf, and several other series use an internal handicap system. Doesn't matter what your GHIN is or whether you even have an established handicap. They will put you in flight based on the "average score" you shoot and go from there and make adjustments based on your performance at those events.

There is one senior who plays at our course who is accused of sandbagging every year. He has about a 10-13 handicap but often shoots in the upper70's/low 80's. What people fail to realize is that our rating from the senior tees is very low so when he shoots a relatively low score, it still gives him a generous handicap. I know for a fact that he turns in all his scores and it frustrates me when people don't understand the handicap system. Here is an example of his scores and handicap conversion.

* H 12/10 74 65.6/111 8.6
* H 11/10 79 65.6/111 13.6
* H 10/10 80 65.6/111 14.7
* H 10/10 78 65.6/111 12.6

On the other hand, we do have some true sandbaggers for sure!

I have to admit KB that I am an idiot when it comes to handicaps. Don't really understand it

I have to admit KB that I am an idiot when it comes to handicaps. Don't really understand it

+1. My average score on OOB is 94.9 while my HC is a 19.2. No clue how that works

My boss has told me stories of people 4 putting from 10 feet away right before a tournament to assist with sandbagging

Back