TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I mean, it's not horrible. But if you're paying that much for a "tour" iron, they should at least make it look like a pro iron. I'm sure the performance on them are quality like all of TM products, but asthetically, i think they coulda done better...

I mean, it's not horrible. But if you're paying that much for a "tour" iron, they should at least make it look like a pro iron. I'm sure the performance on them are quality like all of TM products, but asthetically, i think they coulda done better...

In what way? It's a cavity back club, so it's going to be a bit larger than the MC or CB. Have you seen them in person?

I see what you're saying but you do realize that there are Tour Players that actually have these in their bags? Doesn't seem to bother them in the slightest. I guess my question would be: what does a pro iron look like?

having hit and played both iron sets...the CB's are definitely have a thinner top line than the 2.0 imo. I actually think the club head is a little smaller if I remember right
wow, the topline on those are much worse then I thought. Why did TM decide to make it look like the Burner at address??

In what way? It's a cavity back club, so it's going to be a bit larger than the MC or CB. Have you seen them in person?

I actually haven't seen them in person, and I understand pros have these in their bags. I'm just saying, asthetically, a thinner topline very similar to the MC's or MB's would've made me possibly swap my irons for these. Trust me, I'm a TM guy my cousin being sponsored by them in College. I just think if am gonna make it down to my local Roger Dunn to trade in my irons, I'd go for the MC's, even though I would prefer the CB's...

I actually haven't seen them in person, and I understand pros have these in their bags. I'm just saying, asthetically, a thinner topline very similar to the MC's or MB's would've made me possibly swap my irons for these. Trust me, I'm a TM guy my cousin being sponsored by them in College. I just think if am gonna make it down to my local Roger Dunn to trade in my irons, I'd go for the MC's, even though I would prefer the CB's...

Nothing wrong with that brother. It's one of the things I love about the look of the Razr Tours at address, they look so much sleeker than they actually are, if that makes sense?

I guess I would go with the ones I hit best, regardless of the top line, but that's just me.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Nothing wrong with that brother. It's one of the things I love about the look of the Razr Tours at address, they look so much sleeker than they actually are, if that makes sense?

I hear ya. I'm just one of those guys that MUST like the asthetics of my equipment, which is why I WILL NOT use any Callaway products. Again, I know they make some of the best equipment on tour, but most of their irons have that nasty chunky topline that I just can't stand to look at. And other then their "tour" drivers, none of their woods have hosels! BLEH

We actually had a very similar discussion in another thread last night and I completely respect your opinion. Welcome to THP :)

I guess I would go with the ones I hit best, regardless of the top line, but that's just me.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Maybe you need to get serious.

I set a 2.0 and a CB 6i side by side last night and the CBs are thinner. Of course they were both right handed so I couldn't hit either one. The CBs are nice looking clubs, no doubt about it. The face looks like it would be smaller, but there is not a significant difference when compared to the 2.0s. Are they as forgiving is my question?

Kevin

Thanks! Their isn't a regional board on these forums?

I hear ya. I'm just one of those guys that MUST like the asthetics of my equipment, which is why I WILL NOT use any Callaway products. Again, I know they make some of the best equipment on tour, but most of their irons have that nasty chunky topline that I just can't stand to look at. And other then their "tour" drivers, none of their woods have hosels! BLEH

Diablo edge tour driver has a hosel, but I know what you're saying. I'm in the other camp that would hit a rock attached to a string if it gave me the best numbers.

Maybe you need to get serious.

I set a 2.0 and a CB 6i side by side last night and the CBs are thinner. Of course they were both right handed so I couldn't hit either one. The CBs are nice looking clubs, no doubt about it. The face looks like it would be smaller, but there is not a significant difference when compared to the 2.0s. Are they as forgiving is my question?

Kevin

Great question cheesehead. Surely some of the testers can help you out with that one.

Kevin, I've only hit the CB's for about 30 minutes in a sim vs, the 2.0's that I gamed for about 6 months but I would say that the 2.0s are a little more forgiving but not by a lot.

Esox, the CB's are forgiving for a player's iron, but they are not what I would consider an extremely forgiving iron. Compared the 2.0's, S3's, Di11's, etc, you will be giving up forgiveness for sure, but some folks certainly don't need or want that.

Great question cheesehead. Surely some of the testers can help you out with that one.

Edit: Didn't take long for answers. They do not have the appearance of great forgiveness. They are much more blade-like than the 2.0s.

Kevin

Edit: Didn't take long for answers. They do not have the appearance of great forgiveness. They are much more blade-like than the 2.0s.

Kevin

I love the 2.0's man. I know that lower hcp'ers like we are shouldn't, but they let you know when you're a little off, but the results don't destroy you.

I love the 2.0's man. I know that lower hcp'ers like we are shouldn't, but they let you know when you're a little off, but the results don't destroy you.

I play the original Tour Burners. The 2.0s have a look familiar to me, and I think I would enjoy playing them. I'm not afraid to admit I like the forgiveness in the longer irons. I'm sure I can play the CBs, but I'm thinking it's going to take some focus if i do.

Kevin

You are a better golfer than me, Kevin, but I will say that when I'm off, these irons are not kind to me. When I'm on, they are fantastic.

I play the original Tour Burners. The 2.0s have a look familiar to me, and I think I would enjoy playing them. I'm not afraid to admit I like the forgiveness in the longer irons. I'm sure I can play the CBs, but I'm thinking it's going to take some focus if i do.

Kevin

Posted via Tapatalk.

I am thinking of the 2.0s as well as the CBs... As someone who has never played player irons, I would love to try, but I think the 2.0s may fit my game better. However, the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer tells me I need to be X Flex... should I not mess with the 2.0s shaft and stick with the CBs?

Just got back from my iron fitting with Golftec and wanted to post while it was still fresh in my head. First, I took my Callaway X-20 Tour 6 iron in to compare it with other clubs. After hitting 6-7 balls and getting the numbers to register, the Golftec program concluded that my top 3 irons that would suit my swing numbers would be the Mizuno MP-63, Titleist AP2-710 and WHALLA the Taylor Made Tour Perferred CB!! I told the fitter that was perfect cause that was the club I wanted to hit most! So proceeded to hit all 3 with about 6-7 balls each. I'll get into my thoughts about the CB in just a second. Their computer then took the data from all 4 clubs (including the X-20) to see which one I had the better results with. The guys even told me not to be surprised if the X-20 comes back as the top because many people come in to find out that their current club is still a better fit. And then the numbers came and the computer recommended the...........

TM CB's!!!! LOL! The CB ranked number 1 for launch angle (16.97 compared to 15.33) and Descent angle and was in the top 2 for distance (177 avg compared to 183 X20's), Accuracy (7.3 yds off compared to 22.7 yds off for X-20's), Clustering Diameter (10.3 yds compared to 29.0 X-20's...still trying to determine what that means?) and Distance Control.

So looks like a lost of total yds of about 5 yds but my control has gone WAY up....which is what I was willing to give up if I could get the control! I was also hitting the iron shots near the toe so recommended 62degree lie compared to the standard 61degree it comes in. Also measured my arms to the ground and recommended a .25 increase in lengeth for each club. That may also get me an extra yard to 2 to catch up to the X-20.

Interesting note was my clubhead speed was 86mph with a ball speed of 118. The other 3 clubs I had an average clubhead speed of 93mph with a ball speed of 119. While the CB was a slower club speed, the ball speed was about the same. The CB did have the lowest backspin compared to the other 3 clubs which was a minus but ball selection could help out with that. Granted, this was all computed with about 7 hits from each iron so I will take it for what it's worth.

I ended up hitting all 3 heads, MB, CB, MC. Let me start off by saying I love the way these clubs look to the eye when behind the ball! It just looks.....right! The CB is more of a cavity back and you can tell a big difference from the CB's to the MC's. the MC's and MB's are more closely related in eyeball test and feel. With the CB's you can just feel a bit more forgiveness. We did not compare all 3 irons together but I got a good idea about each one. I think it's going to come down to the MC's and the CB's to see which one wins my love. The big positive I took from the fitting was that these irons are WAY MORE forgiving than anything I've played with to date and the numbers proved it. There is a TM demo day at my club this Sunday so will be the first one in line to hit these all on the turf and give them the range test. After that, I should know what I'm going to do........

To Be Continued..........

That's great. I can't wait to hear what you choose, but it looks like the CB's might be the iron for you. What flex of the CB's were you hitting with your swing speed?

wow, the topline on those are much worse then I thought. Why did TM decide to make it look like the Burner at address??

I think the topline of the CB is thinner compared to the Burner. I think what everyone needs to understand with these clubs is that they are GI-like irons with the tour feel and performance.

TM is marketing them as a tour irons, but they are tour performance irons with a borderline GI iron look (I also think its cool some TM Pros are gaming these, they are putting their ego aside and gaming the club that will help them win) It might just be me, but i love the look of these, the back has that carbon fiber look and the sole isn't the size of a shovel.

Some people have asked about the forgiveness of these clubs and I think they are a smidge less forgiving than the 2.0's but the ball flight makes up for it.

I am thinking of the 2.0s as well as the CBs... As someone who has never played player irons, I would love to try, but I think the 2.0s may fit my game better. However, the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer tells me I need to be X Flex... should I not mess with the 2.0s shaft and stick with the CBs?

I don't think your swing speed has any correlation with the head you should use (when it comes to needed forgiveness). Is there a reason you are just considering the 2.0's and the CB's? There could be some other options out there to check out as well, but of course, that is for another thread.

I don't think your swing speed has any correlation with the head you should use (when it comes to needed forgiveness). Is there a reason you are just considering the 2.0's and the CB's? There could be some other options out there to check out as well, but of course, that is for another thread.

yeah... great discount through TaylorMade. I like the 2.0s because I am used to a game improvement irons, but I never thought players irons were for me. The way they are making them now, I think I could easily get myself into some. A lot of people I play with say the same thing.

Your launch angles look low for a 6iron. Was that just a typo? I'm assuming you meant 25/26* and not 15/16
It does say 15/16 and was lower for the other 3 irons......don't know then? Maybe I'm a freak....lol!

That's great. I can't wait to hear what you choose, but it looks like the CB's might be the iron for you. What flex of the CB's were you hitting with your swing speed?

Stiff....they recommended the dynamic gold stiff shafts

Back