How to increase swing speed

Helo

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I have a swing speed in the mid 80's and am trying to increase it. I feel like I should be able to get faster clubhead speed and am wondering if maybe my timing is off somehow or I'm just a weakling. My typical transition is started by turning my hips and shifting laterally foward, then basically swinging hard with my arms. Just wondering what are your guys typical swing thoughts for achieving greater power. Basically, what do you think about when trying to get more speed and distance. Thanks.

"arm" swings will never be as fast as a "body" swing

Yoga, lots and lots of yoga/core exercises. The faster your body can twist, the faster your swing speed will go. It's about being fast (body) rather then hard (arms)

If you were to get your swing on video, you may be likely to find a power-loss in either a lack of wrist-hinge or your casting of the club.

Picture holding a rope with a rock attached to the end. If you were to begin swinging it as a cowboy would a lasso, imagine first only using your larger muscles, your entire arm and shoulder, in order to accomplish the act. Picture the long, sweeping motion and the effort you'd need to exert in order to perpetuate the rope's pace. Now, instead of using the larger muscles, imagine your arm realatively fixed as you quickly manipulate the spinning rope with just your wrist. The same motion yet with essentially just the wrist would prove to be much, much faster. A feat accomplished with even less effort.

IMO, the legs provide the surge of energy, the arms follow and provide the track of the club but the wrists uncocking at the proper time provide an incredible burst of speed through the moment of impact. As others have stated, turning through impact is of paramount importance. That turn, timed with a proper release, equals power.

Great analogy. I should probably invest in a lesson or two. It's amazing what someone else can see in your swing that you'd never figure out for yourself. I'll try to focus more on wrist cocking and releasing better next time at the range.
If you were to get your swing on video, you may be likely to find a power-loss in either a lack of wrist-hinge or your casting of the club.

Picture holding a rope with a rock attached to the end. If you were to begin swinging it as a cowboy would a lasso, imagine first only using your larger muscles, your entire arm and shoulder, in order to accomplish the act. Picture the long, sweeping motion and the effort you'd need to exert in order to perpetuate the rope's pace. Now, instead of using the larger muscles, imagine your arm realatively fixed as you quickly manipulate the spinning rope with just your wrist. The same motion yet with essentially just the wrist would prove to be much, much faster. A feat accomplished with even less effort.

IMO, the legs provide the surge of energy, the arms follow and provide the track of the club but the wrists uncocking at the proper time provide an incredible burst of speed through the moment of impact. As others have stated, turning through impact is of paramount importance. That turn, timed with a proper release, equals power.

Back