Coolest Thing you have Seen on the Course?

Having the Air Force Thunderbirds practicing over me while I was playing a few years in a row was pretty cool. It was great to get to some of the outer holes and see all the cars lined up along the highway that had stopped to watch.

Another good one was when I was playing at Nellis and my ball started rolling down the green while I was standing over it because of the 4 jets taking off a couple hunderd yards away.

As someone who doesn't live and play among these all the time, I thought this was pretty cool.

Gator_ball.jpg

Having the Air Force Thunderbirds practicing over me while I was playing a few years in a row was pretty cool. It was great to get to some of the outer holes and see all the cars lined up along the highway that had stopped to watch.

Another good one was when I was playing at Nellis and my ball started rolling down the green while I was standing over it because of the 4 jets taking off a couple hunderd yards away.

SO Jealous!
The only cool things that ever happens around here is a hercules or a griffon flying over.
CF-18s are almost unheard of in these parts.. in fact we see more RAF Tornados than we do our own jets!

Several years ago, I was playing at Pinehurst #4. I was hitting a wedge into the 10th green. I hit it well, and looked up to follow the ball flight, and gliding down the fairway toward the green about 15 feet over head was a gigantic bald eagle. It was spectacular!!!

SO Jealous!
The only cool things that ever happens around here is a hercules or a griffon flying over.
CF-18s are almost unheard of in these parts.. in fact we see more RAF Tornados than we do our own jets!

Then I won't mention playing under approx. 50 F-16s in their landing pattern or the other 25 or so types of aircraft I've seen take off and land while playing. There are definitely some perks to being in the Air Force.:D

I definitely won't mention the 30 or so F-18s that buzzed me while I was playing Torrey Pines.

Then I won't mention playing under approx. 50 F-16s in their landing pattern or the other 25 or so types of aircraft I've seen take off and land while playing. There are definitely some perks to being in the Air Force.:D

Hello, new best friend.

While playing with my dad, his drive landed short of a tree but directly behind it when trying to reach the green. He tried to hit under it but got too much air and the ball went into the tree. About 2 seconds after the ball entered the tree, we see a squirrel come tumbling out of the tree and plop on the ground.

My dad had hit a squirrel with a golf ball and killed it.

I hit a gosling (unfortunately not Jon or Kate) and killed it with an approach shot. Still feel pretty bad about it.

A while ago my son was playing in a junior scramble tournament. He was 5 or 6 at the time and had been golfing seriously since he was 3. On one of the holes the group was unable to approach the ball they wanted to play because a young skunk was foraging right by it. They tried everything they could think of to get it to move and finally it wandered far enough down the fairway that the group could approach the ball.

My son, being the smallest by far and with no chance of reaching the green, was the last to hit. When his turn came up one of the big kids said, "Hey Kyle, hit the skunk." Now, the skunk was 30 yards down the fairway and very small, so I didn't really think twice about it but my son got the kind of wild look in his eye that little boys get when something really great pops into their head. He pulls his hybrid, sets up with the ball back in his stance and, without so much as a practice swing hits this piercing low bullet that hops once and slams into the skunk. You can hear the thud as the skunk falls to its side. It then jumps back up and not knowing what just hit it begins to spin wildly looking for something to shoot back at. A whiff of skunk odor drifts past and immediately everyone's cell phone is out to report the incident.

He will get plenty of birdies and eagles in his life, I am sure but he will always remember his first skunk.

Since my golf course is near DAFB C5s and everything fly over the golf course. Pretty neat. And annoying too

Actually I thought it was kinda sad.... :sad:

Poor little gosling never did nothing to hurt nobody.

Jon & Kate however...

The Jon & kate comment was funny, not the real story.

Giant coyote walking up a fairway, way too close and apparently no fear of humans.

Since my golf course is near DAFB C5s and everything fly over the golf course. Pretty neat. And annoying too

If I played at your guys' courses, you'd be writing about me in the slow playing threads because I'd be the guy staring at the sky the entire round.

The ladies of the LPGA! Nothing cooler than that.

If I played at your guys' courses, you'd be writing about me in the slow playing threads because I'd be the guy staring at the sky the entire round.

They fly very close. Heck the runway is about a mile away from the course. It is pretty neat when on #3 its like a peninsula and they come roaring right over you and you can see them landing on the runway.

They fly very close. Heck the runway is about a mile away from the course. It is pretty neat when on #3 its like a peninsula and they come roaring right over you and you can see them landing on the runway.

You have to take pictures of this. This sounds too cool!

That's epic.
I remember watching some guy's video on youtube of comparing a Hammer-X to an FT-IZ, and there were super hornets flying over the course he was playing becuase it was right beside a naval air station.
I'd try my darndest to make that my home course!

You have to take pictures of this. This sounds too cool!

dude you'd love my course... its literally a few blocks from the main gate of master jet base nas oceana
we are right in their landing pattern and we see everything from raptors to air force one

Natalie Gulbis at Spanish Trail in Vegas
BIG bobcat less than 50 yrs away at Poppy Ridge, CA
Stationary croc just hanging around out of lake at TPC Sawgrass

Another thing on the course, waaaaaay more sad than cool, but certainly different...

At The Falcon course at Wild Wing in Myrtle Beach we'd noticed a decent sized fox patrolling the grounds looking for prey. We come to a hole which doglegs left around a lake. There are numerous long-legged birds near the water. One of the guys said they were Wood Storks.

Anyway, I happened to rip a hellacious hook which was heading right toward the birds. I cringed. As (bad)luck would have it, sure enough, the ball took out a leg of one of the poor birds. As we approached, the rest of the birds flew off but the hobbled bird couldn't take the necessary steps to help propel it's flight.

"You know what you should do," my buddy said. "You should take it out of its misery."

I couldn't do it, let alone I didn't know what the legal ramifications would have been. Protected species? Whatever, I had no idea. We drove off, and as I was calling the clubhouse (as if they could do anything), I looked back at the helpless bird. Bolting across the fairway toward the doomed critter was the fox from earlier. He quickly grabbed my defenseless victim and bolted for the woods.

My buddies got a kick outta how bummed I was the rest of the day. Unintentional, yet I felt like crap.

At one course here in Los Angeles, the Goodyear Blimp's home is next door. It's pretty cool to be on the tee box and the blimp is flying overhead getting ready to dock. It's flown so close that the lines used to tie it down have hit the tee box we're on.

That is pretty awesome. I love seeing deer on the golf course. When I am alone on the course, they come out quite often, and mind their own business as I play.

This actually happens to me quite often at a course nearby. I love going in the fall because this course in particular is just beautiful when the trees turn. Sometimes as you are teeing off a deer will walk across the fairway, or sometimes right by a tee box there will be some deer standing about 50 yards away like they are just watching you but they aren't bothered. Its like having a gallery lol. Its a beautiful course to begin with, I think they have held some national ameteur events there, but it blows me away in the fall. Also, I love going to courses in florida and see wild gators on parts of the course. Maybe its just because I'm from the north but I think its awesome.

today while i was picking the range in a fully enclosed metal caged picker... a really quick enormous thunder storm blew thru and lightning struck a tree lol
i was done picking for the day after that

Nellis Air Force Base is north Of Vegas. I've been on a few different courses around there when they're doing Training excersizes. Its hard to stay focused when there's a dog fight going on over your head.

Back