Reshafting Irons - Step By Step Guide

Nice write up. :thumb:

Quick question, what do you use to clean up the inside of the hosel? This always seems to be the most time consuming and annoying part for me.

Nice write up. :thumb:

Quick question, what do you use to clean up the inside of the hosel? This always seems to be the most time consuming and annoying part for me.

I use a dremel on the lowest setting with a softer brush (compared to a drill). It cleans it out pretty well.

I use a dremel on the lowest setting with a softer brush (compared to a drill). It cleans it out pretty well.

Softer brush as in brass, right? I may just be assuming that the nylon wouldn't work.

Nice instructions. Funny enough, I just re-shafted my wedges again today because I decided to go back to the DG Spinners.

Like JB said several times, there are different ways to do several of these steps. If you're even remotely handy, you can probably handle this project if you take your time and follow good instructions (like JB set forth in the first post). A few quick things I would add based on my limited experience:

- I don't use a shaft puller and have had no trouble. I'm not sure I would want to reshaft graphite shafted clubs without a puller, but I haven't had any trouble with steel shafts. Just make sure you wear a leather glove or use some other protection for your hand because the club head can get hot!
- I use a heat gun instead of a torch (I'm always afraid I'll somehow discolor the club head with a torch).
- As for saving ferrules, I read a tip online to wrap a wet paper towel around the ferrule when you're heating the head to remove it if you want to save the ferrule. I don't do this because ferrules are really cheap, but this is an easy solution.
- If you do use new ferrules, they sometimes don't line up perfectly with the hosel of the club after installation. To remedy this, I wrap a piece of tape around the hosel (just below the ferrule) and around the shaft (just above the ferrule) and use a strip of sand paper (about 1/2" wide and 6" long in a motion like you're polishing the ferrule) to bring it down to the size of the hosel. It will look rough after you do this, but a little acetone on a rag will bring back the luster of the ferrule.

Have fun!

Softer brush as in brass, right? I may just be assuming that the nylon wouldn't work.

The tip I use is actually brass and nylon combination.

The tip I use is actually brass and nylon combination.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for those. Thanks for the info.

I think I only add 2 steps to re-shafting, using the glass beads with the epoxy (it's supposed to center the shaft better, don't really know if it does but I have a lot of beads to go through still) and after gluing and wiping off the excess epoxy (cleaning the ferrule and hosel) I wrap some masking tape around that joint (I've had heads/shafts separate some before and don't want a chance of that happening again).

Good stuff. Was thinking of changing the shafts in my irons but am certainly nervous about doing that. Maybe practice on some older irons to get the hang of it....

I want to try that; what site are you getting your equipment from?

I want to try that; what site are you getting your equipment from?

I dont know what you mean? What equipment?

Ferrules - From a tour van
Epoxy - Got this from Golfworks

Great pics and explanation JB. I have always wanted to try this, but wasn't exactly sure what to do.

I dont know what you mean? What equipment?

Ferrules - From a tour van
Epoxy - Got this from Golfworks

Was wondering if you used a certain place for ordering supplies, I want to reshaft a few clubs and set up a pure grips station eventually. Threads like this make it easy to make the jump.

Thanks for the nice tutorial.

Very cool idea JB, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Great thread JB. Not sure how I missed this, but lots of nice info.

Great post thanks..something I Definitely want to start tinkering around with again..do you recommend the "Tour Van Epoxy" (avail at golfsmith)which claims to dry in 5 minutes or the regular epoxy??

JB, is there a way to remove the shaft without a shaft puller?

JB, is there a way to remove the shaft without a shaft puller?

Sure, especially steel.

Heat the same way.

USE A GLOVE

and turn hard.

Sure, especially steel.

Heat the same way.

USE A GLOVE

and turn hard.

I figured that might work, I just didn't know how much pressure you needed to pop the head off. Looks like I'll be doing some re-shafting this weekend.

I have a couple questions on this, if you don't mind...

Can you safely reshaft your irons more than once without causing any damage to the heads? And would doing it without the shaft puller make any difference as far as possibly reshafting in the future?

I have a couple questions on this, if you don't mind...

Can you safely reshaft your irons more than once without causing any damage to the heads? And would doing it without the shaft puller make any difference as far as possibly reshafting in the future?

Yes you can reshaft your irons more than once. No, the shaft puller would not matter, as long as things are done carefully.

I figured that might work, I just didn't know how much pressure you needed to pop the head off. Looks like I'll be doing some re-shafting this weekend.

Mardin, did you try any reshafting yet? If so, how did it go and will you be doing it again or just take them to a clubfitter in the future?

I decided to practice it on an older club this past weekend. It worked out fairly well, heating up the shaft and pulling it manually was the hardest part. I then had to make sure I cleaned up all the epoxy. from the shaft. It turned out fairly well. I've yet to hit the club to see if it can withstand the change in shaft, but I was swinging it in the backyard for a bit and everything seemed secure. When I do my wedges soon (I need to find time) I'll post pictures.

Back