Masters Predictions by THP

In a matter of a few pages this went from a really fun topic of conversation to something that just makes me want to do this :banghead:

I honestly never want to hear the word darkhorse mentioned again. Instead let's just have fun and talk about our picks and what we think. Who cares what someone else's definition of a darkhorse is, all that matters is what you think and that you have fun with the questions.

+1 GG - Just make your pics and pull hard for good drama.

In a matter of a few pages this went from a really fun topic of conversation to something that just makes me want to do this :banghead:

I honestly never want to hear the word darkhorse mentioned again. Instead let's just have fun and talk about our picks and what we think. Who cares what someone else's definition of a darkhorse is, all that matters is what you think and that you have fun with the questions.

Thanks GG for being the voice of reason.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

1. Who will win the Masters? Everyone's on the Watney train. And I expect him to do VERY well. But, I'll take Casey. He hasn't played much this year and I don't know why. But, he's got 3 Top20's in 4 events. Top 20 in Driving Distance and GIR's and 1st in Scrambling. He'll need to get the putter going, though. He MC'ed it last year which is not a good sign. If you MC the previous year, you don't win the next year. Maybe he'll buck that trend. The 3 years prior to that were 20th, 11th, 10th.

2. Give us a darkhorse that will surprise? This THP group goes out on a limb, like a mutt dog trying to cross Main Street at rushhour..with your tails between your legs. :devil:How about Aaron Baddeley? He's got a win and two other top 10's, including last week. He hits it long. He's a pretty good iron player. And, he putting lights out.

3. Who finishes higher, Tiger or Phil? Tiger. Mostly because everyone's picking Lefty. Ya...he's in the zone. But, I think TW's T4 last year should count for something. It is very difficult to follow a win up with another strong finish. Regardless of how soon FIGJAM got on the plane for Augusta after his Shell Houston win and regardless of the fact that he was practicing for Augusta, a win is a mentally draining event. My guess is Lefty finishes between 15-25th.

On another note: J. Jeong is my pick for low amateur.

1. Who will win the Masters? Everyone's on the Watney train. And I expect him to do VERY well. But, I'll take Casey. He hasn't played much this year and I don't know why. But, he's got 3 Top20's in 4 events. Top 20 in Driving Distance and GIR's and 1st in Scrambling. He'll need to get the putter going, though. He MC'ed it last year which is not a good sign. If you MC the previous year, you don't win the next year. Maybe he'll buck that trend. The 3 years prior to that were 20th, 11th, 10th.

2. Give us a darkhorse that will surprise? This THP group goes out on a limb, like a mutt dog trying to cross Main Street at rushhour..with your tails between your legs. :devil:How about Aaron Baddeley? He's got a win and two other top 10's, including last week. He hits it long. He's a pretty good iron player. And, he putting lights out.

3. Who finishes higher, Tiger or Phil? Tiger. Mostly because everyone's picking Lefty. Ya...he's in the zone. But, I think TW's T4 last year should count for something. It is very difficult to follow a win up with another strong finish. Regardless of how soon FIGJAM got on the plane for Augusta after his Shell Houston win and regardless of the fact that he was practicing for Augusta, a win is a mentally draining event. My guess is Lefty finishes between 15-25th.

Well, you must be right then! Well done Static!

I like the Aaron Baddeley pick. A LOT. Nice Static!!

And I think I was the only one on the Watney train, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

And I think I was the only one on the Watney train, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.
Everyone outside of just us THP staffers I think. I've seen him picked a lot of places.

Everyone outside of just us THP staffers I think. I've seen him picked a lot of places.

Yeah, Gary Williams on the morning drive, but no way that Watney's on more lists than Phil right now.

I think Phil wins it going in as the defending champ and with momentum which answers questions 1 and 3 but Id love to see Gmac win too.
As a surpriser how about a good showing from Marino, something like top5. Might not call him a dark horse but it might surprise a few.

I was referring to the non-THP 'experts' (pgatour.com, TGC, etc). Lefty is the obvious choice. But, EVERYONE is talking about Watney. And, justifiably so. Every part of his game is rockin'.

I was referring to the non-THP 'experts' (pgatour.com, TGC, etc). Lefty is the obvious choice. But, EVERYONE is talking about Watney. And, justifiably so. Every part of his game is rockin'.

My concern is not with his physical game but with his mental game. I know he won at Doral but I am just not sure he has the mental side of things under control to win a Masters. I kind of like the guy so I hope I am wrong. And who are we kidding, if I predict he will struggle, then we pretty much know he will win. ; )

I think Phil wins it going in as the defending champ and with momentum which answers questions 1 and 3 but Id love to see Gmac win too.
As a surpriser how about a good showing from Marino, something like top5. Might not call him a dark horse but it might surprise a few.

I like Marino. He's sooooo close to that first win. Imagine if it happens this week. If he's top5 after Saturday, he should go get drunk so he's not thinking about golf on Sunday morning.:D

I have 3 guys that i think could win. But not sure how to wing it down to just one. I put phil as a winner for one contest, watney as another then mahan as a possible winner as well.

I think either of those 3 could very easily win. If I was forced to pick one probably have to go with the favorite.

I think I am going to be the only one on the forum without Either Phil or TW on my team

Love it! Great idea, good questions and insightful, thoughtful choices by the staff!

I like Marino. He's sooooo close to that first win. Imagine if it happens this week. If he's top5 after Saturday, he should go get drunk so he's not thinking about golf on Sunday morning.:D

I would love to see Marino get his head on straight and pull off a victory. He is playing so well and I do think if he could just fix his head on Sunday he would win and maybe even multiple times. The guy has put himself in contention too many times already this year to not win.

I think I am going to be the only one on the forum without Either Phil or TW on my team

I'm always here to keep you company, Ron. Neither of those 2 make it on to team Euro!

Those are big 'ifs' to have fall into line at Augusta.....I hope he does well though, Marino (Steve not Dan) seems like a good guy to root for

I would love to see Marino get his head on straight and pull off a victory. He is playing so well and I do think if he could just fix his head on Sunday he would win and maybe even multiple times. The guy has put himself in contention too many times already this year to not win.

Unless I read incorrectly everyone of you guys picked Phil over Tiger. I thought at least one of you guys would have favored Tiger, but understand where you are coming from. haha

Those are big 'ifs' to have fall into line at Augusta.....I hope he does well though, Marino (Steve not Dan) seems like a good guy to root for

My comment was not necessarily referring to The Masters because even if he did get his head on straight I am still not sure he could get it together enough for Augusta. I was referring more to the future. Although, if he did get it done this week then he surely should see another win this season.

Unless I read incorrectly everyone of you guys picked Phil over Tiger. I thought at least one of you guys would have favored Tiger, but understand where you are coming from. haha

That is correct, not one of us picked Tiger. Which is kind of funny when you think about it especially because we all picked our choices independently, there was absolutely not discussion prior to this article being posted.

Gotcha, my bad for reading that wrong.
My comment was not necessarily referring to The Masters because even if he did get his head on straight I am still not sure he could get it together enough for Augusta. I was referring more to the future. Although, if he did get it done this week then he surely should see another win this season.

Back