Miura Adam Barr Interview

I hope that bold came out good. If these wedges will truly help someone as they say, what better way than getting it to 50 people to try. Not that Cleveland is any small time gig but look at the love for the Mashie and check out that thread for what a good showing at the demo day can do. I don't want to doubt Miura with never hitting it but quite frankly, I do wonder. Adam seems like a really cool guy.

Not a bad idea. I too was kidding clearly. I would be lying if I said I was not a little disappointed that they will not be in the hands of THPers at the demo day. I mean Mr. Barr said right on the show the goal was to get them in the hands of more consumers and what better way than this?

But we will still celebrate the TONS of equipment companies that support the demo day by giving them
100% honest and unbiased reviews and truly one of the ONLY all consumer demo day.

Did anyone get a reply on Twitter from Adam? I didn't.

Nope and he really has done a great job at helping me write him and Miura off. Too many good companies that actually want people to hit their clubs for me to bother with them.

Posted via Tapatalk.

I didn't man. I know not every company is gonna get back to me but you figure something like that would get a reply.

From my experience with the Miura brand, I can say I am not surprised. I can say my CB-501s are very solid, and for cavity back, have a fair amount of 'feel' or feedback. I should do a review for the THP community. The word I would use to describe the clubs is solid; never a thin or clangy feel on a shot, even mishits. The mishits still go about the same distance.

If anything, the Miura brand may claim to be about high-quality, and in many cases, it is. However, I think think their brand identity is more about being a luxury brand and that entails an entirely different set of marketing techniques. For example, you'd never see Rolex (which is frankly more of a luxury brand than a high-performance brand) necessarily worried about getting out to the masses; they have their brand image to worry about. Let's face it, a $10 digital watch performs more accurately than any mechanically-functioning Rolex, so why allow it to be put up against other watches for all to see?

My guess is that if Miura clubs were present at the THP Demo Day, a lot of attendees would say something akin to, "Yeah, those Miura's were pretty good, but no way I'm spending $1600 on a set plus custom fitting/building fees on top of that."

Take that FWIW, from someone that has a set and has dealt with Adam, Bill, one of their best American clubfitters, and has hit their entire line of clubs.

That makes sense, but why would he come on THP Radio and essentially do the exact opposite thing?

maybe if I had posted something other than what you posted I may have.

From my experience with the Miura brand, I can say I am not surprised. I can say my CB-501s are very solid, and for cavity back, have a fair amount of 'feel' or feedback. I should do a review for the THP community. The word I would use to describe the clubs is solid; never a thin or clangy feel on a shot, even mishits. The mishits still go about the same distance.

If anything, the Miura brand may claim to be about high-quality, and in many cases, it is. However, I think think their brand identity is more about being a luxury brand and that entails an entirely different set of marketing techniques. For example, you'd never see Rolex (which is frankly more of a luxury brand than a high-performance brand) necessarily worried about getting out to the masses; they have their brand image to worry about. Let's face it, a $10 digital watch performs more accurately than any mechanically-functioning Rolex, so why allow it to be put up against other watches for all to see?

My guess is that if Miura clubs were present at the THP Demo Day, a lot of attendees would say something akin to, "Yeah, those Miura's were pretty good, but no way I'm spending $1600 on a set plus custom fitting/building fees on top of that."

Take that FWIW, from someone that has a set and has dealt with Adam, Bill, one of their best American clubfitters, and has hit their entire line of clubs.

Iron,
Did you have a chance to listen to the radio show that this thread is about? The reason I ask, is that this exact topic was discussed and it was Adam's assessment that they as a brand need to get the clubs in the hands of more people. In fact he went as far as saying that once people hit the clubs, the sticker price shock quickly goes away.

I dont want to speak for anybody, but I believe that is more about what people are curious about. Not because the brand is not present, but because of the way the brand was marketed in the interview.

I did not. I really hope they change their mind.

thanks for the input, why dont you game their wedges?

Iron,
Did you have a chance to listen to the radio show that this thread is about? The reason I ask, is that this exact topic was discussed and it was Adam's assessment that they as a brand need to get the clubs in the hands of more people. In fact he went as far as saying that once people hit the clubs, the sticker price shock quickly goes away.

I dont want to speak for anybody, but I believe that is more about what people are curious about. Not because the brand is not present, but because of the way the brand was marketed in the interview.

I listened to it, JB. Does Miura want to get their clubs into the hands of more people? Yes. Do they want to send standard-spec 6-irons, wedges, etc. with generic shafts to a group of opinionated golfers without a company rep there? No. That being said, I don't think the company has come up with an ideal solution to the issue of getting the clubs into more peoples hands the way they want to. Maybe they now have a plan devised, but I haven't heard it yet.

I listened to it, JB. Does Miura want to get their clubs into the hands of more people? Yes. Do they want to send standard-spec 6-irons, wedges, etc. with generic shafts to a group of opinionated golfers without a company rep there? No. That being said, I don't think the company has come up with an ideal solution to the issue of getting the clubs into more peoples hands the way they want to. Maybe they now have a plan devised, but I haven't heard it yet.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, as to me, it's better than no feedback. I guess I can see the dilemma. Is Muira all about letting folks demo stuff to their specs or something?

thanks for the input, why dont you game their wedges?

I was talked into getting the conforming grooves for my Miura wedges. I have them in my basement right now. Box grooves simply perform better for me. If I had the non-conforming grooves in my Miura C-grinds and Y-grind, I would absolutely game them. Their sole designs perform exceedingly well and out of the sand the C-grind is the best I've ever experienced.

BTW, If I had the time, I would love to attend this year's THP Demo Day & Outing. I hope I can next year. It sounds like an amazing experience.

Thanks for the insight, IF. It's a shame that Mr Barr couldn't take a moment to do the same. Still, regardless of the reason, I have no interest in these clubs. Like I said, too many good club manufacturers that are willing to stand behind their products by letting average golfers demo them.

Appreciate the input. Not sure I agree, but appreciate the input. Every company wants consumers to be fit properly, but those fittings start somewhere and usually it is pretty close to standard. Some feedback is better than no feedback and frankly the comment "once someone tries the clubs, the sticker price shock goes away" says to me something different. Sure they are a niche company and a boutique company. However having the opportunity to have even a single wedge demoed by 60 vocal golfers with a platform to speak openly about their experience is something entirely different. Again, just my opinion and it has been molded by hearing the tremendous feedback by every company that does participate large and small.

However just like I said on the radio, I am not sure that an open demo with direct comparison to other clubs is the best scenario, because I firmly believe that if the "common" golfer starts playing Miura, many of their loyalists will move on. Again just my opinion and it is less about the brand than most think.

BTW, If I had the time, I would love to attend this year's THP Demo Day & Outing. I hope I can next year. It sounds like an amazing experience.

This one has been sold out for a while, but next year certainly could be an option when we announce that one.

Appreciate the input. Not sure I agree, but appreciate the input. Every company wants consumers to be fit properly, but those fittings start somewhere and usually it is pretty close to standard. Some feedback is better than no feedback and frankly the comment "once someone tries the clubs, the sticker price shock goes away" says to me something different. Sure they are a niche company and a boutique company. However having the opportunity to have even a single wedge demoed by 60 vocal golfers with a platform to speak openly about their experience is something entirely different. Again, just my opinion and it has been molded by hearing the tremendous feedback by every company that does participate large and small.

However just like I said on the radio, I am not sure that an open demo with direct comparison to other clubs is the best scenario, because I firmly believe that if the "common" golfer starts playing Miura, many of their loyalists will move on. Again just my opinion and it is less about the brand than most think.

This one has been sold out for a while, but next year certainly could be an option when we announce that one.

That's an aspect that I thought of but couldn't vocalize quite the way that you did. I think you may be on to something with that line of thinking for sure.

Adam Barr who is head of the entire thing is an Orlando guy.

According to their website both Bill and Ted work out of the Burnaby site. I hope they have some excellent adventures in their offices...

I would think that Bill Holowaty who oversee's product strategy might be one to put a bug in the ear of regarding demo day as well. Oh well

I would think that Bill Holowaty who oversee's product strategy might be one to put a bug in the ear of regarding demo day as well. Oh well

I assure you that everybody that should hear about this has received the request. That includes the president of Miura Golf, Bill, their marketing team and the media relations company.

I assure you that everybody that should hear about this has received the request. That includes the president of Miura Golf, Bill, their marketing team and the media relations company.

Not questioning you JB, more along the lines of maybe there are others in the company people could ask on Twitter. Plus there was a silly joke in the Bill and Ted thing and sadly for my work addled brain it had to be said/typed.

I'll leave this one alone since the position of Miura is clear.

I have but not about this. It was when he first got on twitter.

I have thought about this for the last day or so. If a company thinks their clubs are good and for the common golfer, then why not have them at a demo day? I bought almost all the clubs in my bag from testing them outside at demo days or having a demo on course. (I bought ftiz hybrids, Adams 5 wood, burner irons all from demo days). I am not sure why they wouldn't want their clubs there for people to try outside. It actually gives me the idea that their clubs are not as good and they want to hide them from us.

I have thought about this for the last day or so. If a company thinks their clubs are good and for the common golfer, then why not have them at a demo day? I bought almost all the clubs in my bag from testing them outside at demo days or having a demo on course. (I bought ftiz hybrids, Adams 5 wood, burner irons all from demo days). I am not sure why they wouldn't want their clubs there for people to try outside. It actually gives me the idea that their clubs are not as good and they want to hide them from us.

It tells me they don't have enough confidence in their product to let normal golfers with a voice talk about their experiences. It's pretty simple in that not everybody is going to love everything. However, the feedback that people doing research have available after a THP Demo Day is unreal. There may be a few comments like "it didn't work for me" or " I don't think they are worth the money", but there are going to be tons of other comments regarding all the info that people want to know. I have the same issue with another company, and simply stated, I won't buy a thing of theirs.

It tells me they don't have enough confidence in their product to let normal golfers with a voice talk about their experiences. It's pretty simple in that not everybody is going to love everything. However, the feedback that people doing research have available after a THP Demo Day is unreal. There may be a few comments like "it didn't work for me" or " I don't think they are worth the money", but there are going to be tons of other comments regarding all the info that people want to know. I have the same issue with another company, and simply stated, I won't buy a thing of theirs.

I can't play their irons anyway. I need some cavity back in my irons.

Me too, but they do have wedges that I think could be real winners if they'd give us common folk a shot :)

Me too, but they do have wedges that I think could be real winners if they'd give us common folk a shot :)

I was thinking that too but it made me a little sad that I won't get a chance to try them. :crying: They may be the best wedges ever that allow for perfect little pitches right up to the hole and I will never know.

Back