Taylormade XFT Wedge

So I spent about 1 hour with these clubs while at the TM Kingdom. I really liked the ZTP's more than the Z's. Thankfully the ZTP were the conforming grooves. The ZTP's don't hold back at all. They really give you that feel that you need around the greens. My favorite degrees were the 54 and 56 degrees. The sand wedge didn't really appeal to me. I like the insert idea, but if I had to spend the money I would probably still go with a cleveland G15-16.

The only difference between the ZTP and the Z is the faceplate.
Do you think there is a physical difference in the faceplate that makes them feel different? I was under the impression they were identical except for the grooves, but I have been wrong before.

The only difference between the ZTP and the Z is the faceplate.
Do you think there is a physical difference in the faceplate that makes them feel different? I was under the impression they were identical except for the grooves, but I have been wrong before.

I play the ZTP face plate and played the Z non conforming last year and they feel exactly the same, only difference is the grooves. It is the exact same wedge just with the different face plate.

If you read the review on the home page you will see that xFT wedges have two different types of face plates. Z and ZTP

Thanks JB, I have not had a chance to yet. I will in the morning. Thanks to all for your input and JB for helping me with this thread...

I got a chance to hit these at a recent demo day. I was fully expecting a hollow dead feel on a full swing, but was very surprised. The wedge was very solid and actually felt great compared to my vokeys. I didn't get to use it for chipping, but I was very impressed with this club. Also I like the club face technology, it will save many people a lot of money.

That was my exact thoughts as well, I love when equipment proves me wrong. Just hope they stick with it but something tells me its not gonna happen.

I got a chance to hit these at a recent demo day. I was fully expecting a hollow dead feel on a full swing, but was very surprised. The wedge was very solid and actually felt great compared to my vokeys. I didn't get to use it for chipping, but I was very impressed with this club. Also I like the club face technology, it will save many people a lot of money.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I play the ZTP face plate and played the Z non conforming last year and they feel exactly the same, only difference is the grooves. It is the exact same wedge just with the different face plate.

Sorry I wasn't being specific enough. I know the wedges are the same besides the different faceplates. But I preferred the ZTPs on longer shots.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Just curious.......do you need a special tool to remove the screws to replace the face plate??

Just curious.......do you need a special tool to remove the screws to replace the face plate??

You can use the wrench provided with the R woods. If you don't have it then I'm sure you can stop by a retailer and I'm sure they can let you use their wrench.

Just use the white wrench that comes with all the woods, you can order one or buy one on ebay for pretty cheap, make sure its the white one though cause it has the correct torque setting.

Just use the white wrench that comes with all the woods, you can order one or buy one on ebay for pretty cheap, make sure its the white one though cause it has the correct torque setting.

It doesnt matter which one it is. I have 2 wrenches (r7/R9) and they both work fine. Have hit hundreds and hundreds of shots and no problems with it coming loose.

It doesnt matter which one it is. I have 2 wrenches (r7/R9) and they both work fine. Have hit hundreds and hundreds of shots and no problems with it coming loose.

according to TM it does matter, they say only use the WHITE wrench for the R9 series and newer. They said they had people using the older wrenches would have heads flying off or coming loose

I went to Golf Galaxy today in search of wedges. I swung them all, liked many, but I ended up trying the Mizuno MP T-11 and the Taylormade xft. I really like the xft, until I talked to the pro. He said the screws in the back (because these are the ones with replaceable faces) seem to come loose after a round or two, and have to be tightened. I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with these screws becoming loose. Thanks for any other info on them.

BulldogsGolf:banghead:
Never an issue. Almost a year and I've never head it happen.

My only gripe with these wedges is the finish on the face. When the sun hits them just right, they are extremely hard to hit because of the blindness caused. I wish the wedge and faces were offered in a less reflective surface.

I like how Taylormade has made all of the screw heads the same so the wrenches are interchangeable.

My only gripe with these wedges is the finish on the face. When the sun hits them just right, they are extremely hard to hit because of the blindness caused. I wish the wedge and faces were offered in a less reflective surface.

Hmmm. This could be a concern for me. I've played black or dull finish on my wedges for about a decade now and love the dark look and less glare. I've been considering getting a couple of xFTs to replace them, but maybe not if they are too shiny...

Other opinions on the glare issue?

Guy I work with picked a couple of these up for $50 a piece from some deal site. I have yet to hear his review of them.

just got a 56* 12 bounce wedge ztp grooves the red back.
when i hear people say there wedges scuff up the balls i was wondering how. well now i know i used it tonight at the range and boy was the grooves full of white.i loved the sound and it deffinatly feels different. will post my findings more when i use it more

Taylor Made ZTP Wedges

Taylor Made ZTP Wedges

Just got my 56/12 degree bounce wedge yesterday. Hit it a few times and felt like the sound was a little hollow. Is it just me or how the face is constructed or whatever? Thanks!

Were you catching it high on the club face do you know? The "pockets" could create a lighter sound, but in my experience only when catching a groove or two heavy.

Could have been JB, don't really know. I am going to practice with it again possibly later today and see. The demo one I hit, I was really impressed with. I just didn't know if the interchangeable face might have something to do with it.

I haven't had that experience. I feel like mine are super solid and love the sound.

Could have been JB, don't really know. I am going to practice with it again possibly later today and see. The demo one I hit, I was really impressed with. I just didn't know if the interchangeable face might have something to do with it.

Are these ZTP or xFT? guessing now that they are xFT and have not had a hollow sound at all with them.

Ya xFT has the exchangable face not the ZTP, it probably has the red ZTP insert which is the conforming insert. Also love the sound and feel of mine, havent ever had it feel/sound hollow

Never something that I noticed with my XFT.

Merged with the XFT thread.

I haven't noticed it at all on mine. Sounds and feels great.

Back