TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I've only ever hit the CBs and MCs off a mat inside. There is just no where to it them outside here, but when I started hitting the MC compared to the CB I actually could tell a difference in the DGs and DGXps. I loved the feel of the MCs over the CBs although it was very minimal. My dispersion with the MCs was a little better than the CB according to their simulator which seems to be pretty true when hitting irons, but completely rediculous when hitting woods.

I have a feeling that Monday when TMAG goes back to work they're going to send me a disappointing email and say that my irons are backordered until early May.

Hi Folks,
Went out to fire some balls at the range and had the chance to put these up against the Callaway offerings. Nothing from Callaway could touch my CB's. I tried everything they had to offer. Maybe it is my extreme bias to TM, but I could find nothing that would compare. Earlier in this thread, the diablo forged were said as being competition. The top line is huge and the rest of the club looks bulky when put side-side to the CB's. No where close in the feel dept, distance I found to be less. Mind you I am much more comfortable with my CB's. I had a great day with those before I went over and checked out the offerings.

Hi Folks,
Went out to fire some balls at the range and had the chance to put these up against the Callaway offerings. Nothing from Callaway could touch my CB's. I tried everything they had to offer. Maybe it is my extreme bias to TM, but I could find nothing that would compare. Earlier in this thread, the diablo forged were said as being competition. The top line is huge and the rest of the club looks bulky when put side-side to the CB's. No where close in the feel dept, distance I found to be less. Mind you I am much more comfortable with my CB's. I had a great day with those before I went over and checked out the offerings.

You're saying the Diablo Forged irons are "chunkier" than the CB's? I think you're biased a good bit.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Thats what I thought, top lines were slimmer on the CB, the sole also appears that way too. Thats my perception, for whatever its worth...
It does feel great when you love your clubs though!

So I was looking over some videos I took at the Kingdom and forgot that I didn't include this video about the TaylorMade TP Irons Forging Process. This is Brian Bazzel who is one of the head iron/wedges engineers for TaylorMade. He is discussing how TaylorMade goes about its forging process. I thought this would be a nice treat for everyone trying out, buying, or testing the TP irons. Enjoy All!!

Here are what the irons look like as they go through the process.

DSCN1540.jpg

Cool video and picture Mardin. Thanks

Had a solid round with these irons yesterday...ball flight was nice and high at times, the trajectory was mid-high but the feeling and distance was consistent. I even noticed that when I missed out on the toe the ball flight and trajectory were still the same bu the distance loss was noticeable, at least a good 10 yds. One thing I'm absolutely certain of is that these irons would be a true winner with a stiffer shaft. I was able to hit a few shots with G4L's MC's and the stiff shaft he's got in those makes the stock R flex in the CB's feel like a noodle. I'll touch on that in the MC thread though. I loved the heavier feel and the firmness of the S300(?) and I'm pondering what results I would see with a S flex in the CB's. With the solid ball striking I had I was rewarded with accuracy and consistency which was nice to see with these irons for a change. These irons in their current stock state don't let you go after a shot without making you pay in either loss of accuracy or distance. The CB's definitely prefer a smooth and easy swing where you're letting the club do it's job. When you don't feel anything you know you and the club have synced up in perfect harmony and the results should speak for themselves.

What sort of difference in distance are you seeing from your X-24's, Hanks? Are you having any issues with ballooning?

I've starting to feel that I just don't love these irons (as they are) for my game. I'm giving up a club's distance or more compared to other sets I've tried and the difference in forgiveness is pretty big, in my opinion. Now, if I naturally hit the ball farther or was a bit more consistent, I'd probably feel completely different, but I am what I am. Like I've said since the beginning, they really feel great in my hands and are probably the nicest looking and feeling clubs I've gamed, but neither of those things are what I need to shoot lower scores. I'm going to keep working with them, but I just don't know if these are a great match for me.

I haven't hit the 24's in some time especially since I've had these in the bag for testing etc but off hand I'd say I'm a full club shorter with these. The first thing that comes to mind is my 8 iron distance which is my favorite iron. The x-24 is a solid 150 where the CB is around 140-145. Noticeable distance loss I think and it goes back to the comfort level in my mind.....x-24 8 iron which will land softer yet still go long or CB 7 iron to get the same results? My mind likes knowing that to go 150 I only need an 8 iron vs. a 7 iron.

Like you I also feel that I'm missing out on some forgiveness that my swing may/will need someday which is found in some other sets as well as some distance. I like to think that I'm a naturally longer hitter who doesn't need help with getting the ball into the air so do these benefit me by taking away that distance from me vs say the 24's or the CG-16's that I always seem to hit well when I use them? These may not be the the perfect match for me as well but I want to see what other results I can get as my swing continues to improve with the weather getting warmer, etc.

What sort of difference in distance are you seeing from your X-24's, Hanks? Are you having any issues with ballooning?

I've starting to feel that I just don't love these irons (as they are) for my game. I'm giving up a club's distance or more compared to other sets I've tried and the difference in forgiveness is pretty big, in my opinion. Now, if I naturally hit the ball farther or was a bit more consistent, I'd probably feel completely different, but I am what I am. Like I've said since the beginning, they really feel great in my hands and are probably the nicest looking and feeling clubs I've gamed, but neither of those things are what I need to shoot lower scores. I'm going to keep working with them, but I just don't know if these are a great match for me.

Had a solid round with these irons yesterday...ball flight was nice and high at times, the trajectory was mid-high but the feeling and distance was consistent. I even noticed that when I missed out on the toe the ball flight and trajectory were still the same bu the distance loss was noticeable, at least a good 10 yds. One thing I'm absolutely certain of is that these irons would be a true winner with a stiffer shaft. I was able to hit a few shots with G4L's MC's and the stiff shaft he's got in those makes the stock R flex in the CB's feel like a noodle. I'll touch on that in the MC thread though. I loved the heavier feel and the firmness of the S300(?) and I'm pondering what results I would see with a S flex in the CB's. With the solid ball striking I had I was rewarded with accuracy and consistency which was nice to see with these irons for a change. These irons in their current stock state don't let you go after a shot without making you pay in either loss of accuracy or distance. The CB's definitely prefer a smooth and easy swing where you're letting the club do it's job. When you don't feel anything you know you and the club have synced up in perfect harmony and the results should speak for themselves.

Hanks are you hitting the Regular flex DG shafts in the CB's? I think a stiffer shaft is probably the way to go. KBS might also be a good option too.

Aren't the KBS high launching too? I thought it might be worth looking into that as well, but it doesn't sound like they are that different?

Aren't the KBS high launching too? I thought it might be worth looking into that as well, but it doesn't sound like they are that different?

I can't really answer that, but I think Hawk could benefit from them possibly. The great thing about club testing is figuring out what works best for your game and once you find that out it's so much easier to search for clubs. I may asked you this before Hawk, but what irons were you gaming pre-CB??

Over the last 18 mos I've gamed the Wilson Staff Ci7's (which are pretty, but not great for my game) and the Adams A30S. I've tested the Cobra S3's as well. I would put the CB's more in the Ci7's 'category' in terms of forgiveness, though they are a better looking iron and seem to have better feel. Ball flight is much higher with the CB's, but it's been awhile since I've hit the Ci7's and I naturally hit a higher ball now.

I can't really answer that, but I think Hawk could benefit from them possibly. The great thing about club testing is figuring out what works best for your game and once you find that out it's so much easier to search for clubs. I may asked you this before Hawk, but what irons were you gaming pre-CB??

Over the last 18 mos I've gamed the Wilson Staff Ci7's (which are pretty, but not great for my game) and the Adams A30S. I've tested the Cobra S3's as well. I would put the CB's more in the Ci7's 'category' in terms of forgiveness, though they are a better looking iron and seem to have better feel. Ball flight is much higher with the CB's, but it's been awhile since I've hit the Ci7's and I naturally hit a higher ball now.

If you naturally hit the ball higher the CB's prob send your ball into outter space. My problem is my ball flight. I consistently hit great iron shots but they do not get up as high as I want. I hit the CB 4i at my fitting and it got almost as high as my 4 hybrid. I can't wait to use the CB's scoring clubs on the course. They just felt so perfect when I first tried them and again at testing. I love the ball flight and how they just drop out of the sky like a rock. I have a feeling I'm going to be hitting a lot more greens with these clubs.

I think that the shafts are definitely going to be great for getting ball flight up. I'm going to try out the stiff shafted CB's in Florida to see what sort of difference they make for me. The scoring irons are certainly great for accuracy and I really hope that you get those GIR's up with them.

I am....I also think a S flex may work better for me as well.
Hanks are you hitting the Regular flex DG shafts in the CB's? I think a stiffer shaft is probably the way to go. KBS might also be a good option too.

Exactly my issue with some shots I had this weekend. There were a few that G4L said 'that's in orbit' or 'bringing rain with that shot?' I felt there was some distance lost because of the ball getting up and staying up. A lot of 'get high, stay high' shots vs. gradual get high and gradual come down' shots
If you naturally hit the ball higher the CB's prob send your ball into outter space. My problem is my ball flight. I consistently hit great iron shots but they do not get up as high as I want. I hit the CB 4i at my fitting and it got almost as high as my 4 hybrid. I can't wait to use the CB's scoring clubs on the course. They just felt so perfect when I first tried them and again at testing. I love the ball flight and how they just drop out of the sky like a rock. I have a feeling I'm going to be hitting a lot more greens with these clubs.

I am....I also think a S flex may work better for me as well.

Exactly my issue with some shots I had this weekend. There were a few that G4L said 'that's in orbit' or 'bringing rain with that shot?' I felt there was some distance lost because of the ball getting up and staying up. A lot of 'get high, stay high' shots vs. gradual get high and gradual come down' shots

That's what I'm seeing right now. The opposite of penetrating.

I think that the shafts are definitely going to be great for getting ball flight up. I'm going to try out the stiff shafted CB's in Florida to see what sort of difference they make for me. The scoring irons are certainly great for accuracy and I really hope that you get those GIR's up with them.

I ordered my CB's with the DG S300 because they gave me better feel and control of the club. I agree with Hawk the R300 was a little too "regular" if you know what I mean. Maybe a "uniflex" type shaft might be a good choice; not too stiff, not too regular, just right.

I ordered my CB's with the DG S300 because they gave me better feel and control of the club. I agree with Hawk the R300 was a little too "regular" if you know what I mean. Maybe a "uniflex" type shaft might be a good choice; not too stiff, not too regular, just right.

I dont think you will see that out of an iron like this. In the Burner line perhaps, but not in the TP line.

I'm curious about what you think of this combo

I dont think you will see that out of an iron like this. In the Burner line perhaps, but not in the TP line.

I didn't think so.

Did you ordert the DG XP S300's or the DG S300's?

Ooops I said DG earlier I meant DGXP.

No worries, I thought that was what you meant. I'll definitely be interested in trying these out with a bit more stiffness.

This is my first post on this board, and just wanted to tell everyone thanks for educating and entertaining me over the past few months.

I've been looking for new irons for six months or so, I'm a lefty so selection is a bit iffy sometimes, and my game is "inconsistent". (That's a euphemism for kinda crappy - I'm a 26 index.)

A local shop was having a demo day this past weekend, so I went out in search of left handed irons to hit. I hit the Cobra S3, Cleveland CG16 and CG16 Tour, Ping i15 and the TP CB.

I was having a good ball striking day and hit everything pretty well. The Ping iron was nice, but not flashy in any sort of way. I hit a rocket of a 5 iron shot with the Cleveland CG16s. But with the jacked up lofts on the Cleveland iron, it's hard to compare to the other 6 irons I was hitting.

I've had my eye on the CB for awhile now, and they had a 6 iron club head that I tried with four different shafts. I hit the DGXP in stiff and regular, KBS Tour in stiff, and a Project X in 5.5. I'm 52 years old and swing a 5 iron in the high 70s, and my 150 yard club is a 7 iron. So a Regular shaft probably fits me best.

The comments on this site about the CB are spot-on. You guys have done an excellent job talking about the club's characteristics. First off, the look inspires confidence. The ball flight is high, but that's a part of my game I'm trying to improve. So this iron's flight characteristics are good for me. Distance was hard for me to judge because the range we were using had no yardage markers! Seemed like it was a bit shorter than I'm used to by maybe five yards, but that's just a feel/guess. Fat shots were ugly, but well struck shots were a thing of beauty. The CBs are probably more club than I ought to be playing, but what's life without goals! My plan is to play at a level that makes them worth being in my bag.

Making a long story as short as I can - I couldn't get over the feel and look of these irons at address. They just screamed "own me". So I placed an order this morning.

I'm getting the 4 iron through A wedge. Standard length DGXP shaft in regular flex, and 2 degrees upright. Should be here from Taylormade in about a week, but I'm hoping for this Friday so I can play with them this weekend.

Back