Official College Baseball Thread

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't know were to post this so figured might as well start a thread. Probably not a whole lot of college baseball watchers out there, but I just watched probably one of the best games I have seen in a while.

Lsu vs. Arkansas

0-0 all the way to the 9th, pitching was just awesome. Lsu comes up in top of 9th, gets a couple runners on then a triple to the gap makes 2-0. Next pitch squeeze, makes it 3-0 Lsu. Bottom 9th. Arkansas manages to get across a run. 3-1. Runners first and 3rd. Pitcher hangs a slider the guy smashes it 380+ foot foul. No harm. Next pitch hangs another, fouled straight back. Got lucky again. Next pitch hangs a 3rd and the guy absolutely hammers it over left field about 390-400 foot on a rope. Walk off homerun, Arkansas wins 4-3. There was a massive crowd. Over 11,000 people, which is a ton for a college baseball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I'm not really a fan of the bat change. They have a lot less "pop" and dont go near as far. They did a comparison that a 400 foot homerun with the old bat would end up being a 370-375 foot out with the new one. I get the safety issue but if a line drive is hit back at the pitcher it's not going to make that much of a difference. Maybe .25 of a second, if that. I just hope they don't change to much of the game and take the excitement out of college baseball. It's know for that aluminum bat ping sound, lots of runs scored, and great excitement for the fans. If they keep making changes to the bats, they might as well just join in with the wood bat leagues.

They should go to wood bats. That would help the majors and their scouting on guys who are killer with aluminum bats but can't hit a wood bat.

But I'm not a big college baseball fan. I think the game should be more like the pros play it.

They should go to wood bats. That would help the majors and their scouting on guys who are killer with aluminum bats but can't hit a wood bat.

But I'm not a big college baseball fan. I think the game should be more like the pros play it.

See, I disagree completely. If your a good hitter it won't matter if it's aluminum or wood. 95% if not all of the guys that are serious about getting drafted play in wood bat leagues during fall ball or right after college ends and some even before college starts. College and high school baseball is about the aluminum bat, and like I said above, if your serious about getting drafted there are plenty of leagues out there were you can go get the "pro" experience with the wood bat.

Almost every Player has a wood bat in there bag in college and some take BP with the wood bat more times than not. You might here every once in a while a kid that was just awesome with the aluminum bat couldn't hit with a wood bat. But most of the time it's not the case, good hitters, and it won't matter the bat. If you can't hit, well you will be in the minors for a while or in the other wood bat leagues.

See, I disagree completely. If your a good hitter it won't matter if it's aluminum or wood. 95% if not all of the guys that are serious about getting drafted play in wood bat leagues during fall ball or right after college ends and some even before college starts. College and high school baseball is about the aluminum bat, and like I said above, if your serious about getting drafted there are plenty of leagues out there were you can go get the "pro" experience with the wood bat.

Almost every Player has a wood bat in there bag in college and some take BP with the wood bat more times than not. You might here every once in a while a kid that was just awesome with the aluminum bat couldn't hit with a wood bat. But most of the time it's not the case, good hitters, and it won't matter the bat. If you can't hit, well you will be in the minors for a while or in the other wood bat leagues.

Safety Dude! The switch was done for safety. The amount of time it takes a ball to hit bat to reach pitcher was the reason for change, and one more injury and it will be wood.

Safety Dude! The switch was done for safety. The amount of time it takes a ball to hit bat to reach pitcher was the reason for change, and one more injury and it will be wood.

You didn't skim did you? Haha

I said that above about me understanding for the safety. I'm probably wrong but I thought the difference from the new to old bat was very very minimum. Reaction time of Something like .25 of a second if the ball was hit back at the pitcher. That seems like there would be no difference and the chances of pitcher reacting to the ball is minimum from what the old bat was. But then again I don't know what the exact tenths if a second difference or what those tenths can cause someone to do.

I do agree though, a couple more injuries and it will be wood bat. Just not a fan of it but I understand the change. Wonder if they would bring in the fences 10-15 foot? (heard this all last night on espn) They were already talking about how coaches are having to change the way they coach due to the new bat. A lot more bunting since they can't rely on the long ball anymore. Changing the ways of pitchers to. Said coaches don't have to go out and find the best of the best pitchers and use everything to recruit them, they can find guys that throw tons of strikes because they know the bat changes are starting to benefit pitchers more and more.

edit: I stand corrected. Old bat was 10-15 mph faster off the bat than the new one. New bat is 5-6 mph faster off the bat compared to a wood bat. That is a big difference from old to new. Which as a pitcher/fielder you like but hitter not so much. Probably after using it for a few games you wont even notice it to much, ball will probably still go if you make good contact. The bad hitters arent going to like it, now they cant hit anymore bloops for singles, should change up the game pretty good. Going to miss that loud ping sound and the 14-10 run games(sarcasm).

Last edited:
You didn't skim did you? Haha

I said that above about me understanding for the safety. I'm probably wrong but I thought the difference from the new to old bat was very very minimum. Reaction time of Something like .25 of a second if the ball was hit back at the pitcher. That seems like there would be no difference and the chances of pitcher reacting to the ball is minimum from what the old bat was. But then again I don't know what the exact tenths if a second difference or what those tenths can cause someone to do.

I didnt skim.

The difference off of robot testing was .45 to .68 seconds and according to "experts" that could save a life.

I didnt skim.

The difference off of robot testing was .45 to .68 seconds and according to "experts" that could save a life.

I was editing while you were typing I guess.(added were I was wrong above) But yup thats a lot more reaction time.

Couldn't disagree more. The aluminum bat bails out hitters, good and bad, all the time and matters a TON. Do you think a college hitter really doesn't benefit from aluminum where they could still fist a ball in on the hands out of the infield where a wooden bat has the potential to break and turn that hit into a dribbler of a ground ball? What wooden bat leagues are you talking about? These kids are playing baseball year round and aren't going to play in a league that has wood when they just played with aluminum for their season. That's just silly, Little leagues, High schools, Legion, etc use aluminum bats due to cost effectiveness plain and simple without even getting into the aluminum bat contracts some of these leagues and schools have. College? Multi-million $$$ aluminum bat contracts abound so wood isn't an option for them until the NCAA mandates wooden bats for safety. Kids just don't have exposure to wooden bats anywhere and if they're that good to begin with to get drafted out of HS or college, they're going right to Single A or Rookie league where they get their first exposure to a wood bat. There's a reason why the kids who carry a wooden bat in their bag for bating practice as you say don't use it in actual games, performance. If the aluminum bat can make a .270 hitter a .290 hitter due to performance and durability why would you not use that instead? Otherwise you'd see kids who are good enough in HS or college use a wooden bat to show scouts that they can truly hit with one.

Couldn't disagree more. The aluminum bat bails out hitters, good and bad, all the time and matters a TON. Do you think a college hitter really doesn't benefit from aluminum where they could still fist a ball in on the hands out of the infield where a wooden bat has the potential to break and turn that hit into a dribbler of a ground ball? What wooden bat leagues are you talking about? These kids are playing baseball year round and aren't going to play in a league that has wood when they just played with aluminum for their season. That's just silly, Little leagues, High schools, Legion, etc use aluminum bats due to cost effectiveness plain and simple without even getting into the aluminum bat contracts some of these leagues and schools have. College? Multi-million $$$ aluminum bat contracts abound so wood isn't an option for them until the NCAA mandates wooden bats for safety. Kids just don't have exposure to wooden bats anywhere and if they're that good to begin with to get drafted out of HS or college, they're going right to Single A or Rookie league where they get their first exposure to a wood bat. There's a reason why the kids who carry a wooden bat in their bag for bating practice as you say don't use it in actual games, performance. If the aluminum bat can make a .270 hitter a .290 hitter due to performance and durability why would you not use that instead? Otherwise you'd see kids who are good enough in HS or college use a wooden bat to show scouts that they can truly hit with one.

Woah woah I never said anything about a metal bat not benefiting a hitter. I know it does. In fact, I said above that the bad hitters arent going to like it because they cant turn a blooper into a single anymore. Sorry dude, but the part in bold is just completely wrong. There is a ton of wood bat leagues. There were 3-4 different tourneys when i was in highscool that were wood bats. Bryce harper (really good kid thats now in the minors for nationals) went to college were they played in a wood bat league. Guessing you didnt know that they have colleges that are wood bat leagues. There is even a few high school teams that are wood bat and a ton of other wood bat leagues that you can play in during fall ball in college and bewteen college and minors to get you prepared for the minors. Almost every kid that gets drafted from college goes and play in a wood bat league before the minors in preparing for it.

goggle "wood bat league" and look how many pop up. Some if not all have something about summer or fall for college baseball
Here are a few.
* Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League
* Cape Cod Baseball League
* Clark Griffith Collegiate Baseball League
* Coastal Plain League
* Florida Collegiate Summer League
* Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League
* KIT League
* Mountain Collegiate Baseball League
* New England Collegiate Baseball League
* New York Collegiate Baseball League
* Northwoods League
* Prospect League
* Southern Collegiate Baseball League
* Texas Collegiate League
* Valley Baseball League

you may want to check this...if you get drafted by a team, you go to that team's A affiliate or Rookie Ball affiliate for that team....not a stop in between. That is what Rookie League is meant to do, get the kids used to a wooden bat before getting into the A, AA, AAA leagues. Those leagues you point out are for those not good enough to stay in a pro team's system or if they're waiting to get re-drafted when they don't sign with a team and can't go back to school because they have an agent. (see JD Drew in the90's after the Phillies drafted him #1 overall and couldn't sign him)
Woah woah I never said anything about a metal bat not benefiting a hitter. I know it does. In fact, I said above that the bad hitters arent going to like it because they cant turn a blooper into a single anymore. Sorry dude, but the part in bold is just completely wrong. There is a ton of wood bat leagues. There were 3-4 different tourneys when i was in highscool that were wood bats. Bryce harper (really good kid thats now in the minors for nationals) went to college were they played in a wood bat league. Guessing you didnt know that they have colleges that are wood bat leagues. There is even a few high school teams that are wood bat and a ton of other wood bat leagues that you can play in during fall ball in college and bewteen college and minors to get you prepared for the minors. Almost every kid that gets drafted from college goes and play in a wood bat league before the minors in preparing for it.

goggle "wood bat league" and look how many pop up. Some if not all have something about summer or fall for college baseball
Here are a few.
* Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League
* Cape Cod Baseball League
* Clark Griffith Collegiate Baseball League
* Coastal Plain League
* Florida Collegiate Summer League
* Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League
* KIT League
* Mountain Collegiate Baseball League
* New England Collegiate Baseball League
* New York Collegiate Baseball League
* Northwoods League
* Prospect League
* Southern Collegiate Baseball League
* Texas Collegiate League
* Valley Baseball League

you may want to check this...if you get drafted by a team, you go to that team's A affiliate or Rookie Ball affiliate for that team....not a stop in between. That is what Rookie League is meant to do, get the kids used to a wooden bat before getting into the A, AA, AAA leagues. Those leagues you point out are for those not good enough to stay in a pro team's system or if they're waiting to get re-drafted when they don't sign with a team and can't go back to school because they have an agent. (see JD Drew in the90's after the Phillies drafted him #1 overall and couldn't sign him)

Ding Ding Ding!

My fault, should have said that better. As soon as college ends (before the MLB draft sign date) those kids go play in a wood bat league then once drafted go to the rookie league. My fault, was poor wording by me.

Not true. All those leagues I listed are for kids in college that go play during the summer to get prepared for the minors then continue college baseball in the spring or get drafted.

edit:
This is from one of the leagues, all of them are the same thing just for different areas. Not for kids that arent good enough, and they can go back to school because those dont get paid nor have an agent.

The Northwoods League is a collegiate summer baseball league comprising teams of the top college players from North America and beyond. All players in the league must have NCAA eligibility remaining in order to participate. Players are not paid so as to maintain their college eligibility.

Teams are run similar to a professional minor league team, providing players an opportunity to play under the same conditions using wooden bats and minor league specification baseballs. Teams play 70 games scheduled over a 76-day season running from early June to mid-August. The season itself is broken into two halves, with the winners of each half in each of the two divisions meeting first in a playoff to determine a divisional champion; the divisional champions then meet in a playoff for the league championship.

The Northwoods League has more teams, draws more fans and plays more games than any other Summer Collegiate Baseball League.[1] Many of the teams in the league play in ballparks formerly occupied by professional clubs from the Midwest League, Prairie League and the Northern League. The wooden bat circuit allows communities deemed too small for pro ball to continue to enjoy high quality, competitive baseball during the summer months. The League has had 277 of its alumni taken in the last two Major League Baseball Amateur Drafts including three first round selections in 2009 and the fourth selection overall.

Last edited:
The MLB draft takes place while the college season is still being played? If a kid gets drafted while in school (college or hs) he then reports to the team who drafted him's Rookie league or Single A affiliate after the season ends. No reporting to any other league, right to your new job.
My fault, should have said that better. As soon as college ends (before the MLB draft) those kids go play in a wood bat league then once drafted go to the rookie league. My fault, was poor wording by me.

Not true. All those leagues I listed are for kids in college that go play during the summer to get prepared for the minors then continue college baseball in the spring or get drafted.

The MLB draft takes place while the college season is still being played? If a kid gets drafted while in school (college or hs) he then reports to the team who drafted him's Rookie league or Single A affiliate after the season ends. No reporting to any other league, right to your new job.

Ya draft is june, I think. So right around the College world series. Could have sworn most go play in a wood bat league then enter in the rookie league the following spring. I know just because you get drafted doesnt mean you have to sign. So a kid gets drafted can still play summer ball before signing day or not even sign at all.

Last edited:
While I don't know a ton about this, I do know a few of the ball players here at my school, Georgia Southern. I just asked them about this, and they said that the team is encouraged to participate in the Sunbelt League, which is one of these summer collegiate wood bat leagues. I just visited their website, and it pretty much has the same mission statement as the one above. Now as for players going before signing or after getting drafted and stuff, I don't know, but they are definitely encouraged to play in this summer wood bat league.

Im almost 100% positive that kids play in a wood bat league after being drafted before joining the team. Draft day is first part of june but then signing day or the deadline to sign is middle of august so there is 2 months there in which the kid can play in the summer wood bat league(if he gets the ok by the team, which most agree to) before signing or even after signing depending on what the team says, then going to the rookie league or A ball for the team that drafted him.

Im almost 100% positive that kids play in a wood bat league after being drafted before joining the team. Draft day is first part of june but then signing day or the deadline to sign is middle of august so there is 2 months there in which the kid can play in the summer wood bat league(if he gets the ok by the team) before signing or even after signing depending on what the team says, then going to the rookie league or A ball for the team that drafted him.

That sounds right to me, but then again I'm not real sure.

MLB funds the Cape Cod league which is a wooden bat league. Its a summer league for College Kids in between College seasons. Im pretty sure there are other summer wood bat leagues all over the country.

Im almost 100% positive that kids play in a wood bat league after being drafted before joining the team. Draft day is first part of june but then signing day or the deadline to sign is middle of august so there is 2 months there in which the kid can play in the summer wood bat league(if he gets the ok by the team, which most agree to) before signing or even after signing depending on what the team says, then going to the rookie league or A ball for the team that drafted him.

Im pretty sure once you get drafted you go to Instructional league and then to the Arizona Fall League. From there the teams assign you to their different Minor league affiliates.

exactly right

Im pretty sure once you get drafted you go to Instructional league and then to the Arizona Fall League. From there the teams assign you to their different Minor league affiliates.

exactly right

Last year I saw were a kid that was drafted from right around here from college and went number 10 overall was given the ok by the team to play in a wood bat league that summer before joining the team and being assigned to one of their Minor league teams. Happens a lot, since there is about a 2 month window from the end of baseball season until the deadline of signing day so most go play in a wood bat league for that summer then go were the club assigns them to.

Last year I saw were a kid that was drafted from right around here from college and went number 10 overall was given the ok by the team to play in a wood bat league that summer before joining the team and being assigned to one of their Minor league teams. Happens a lot, since there is about a 2 month window from the end of baseball season until the deadline of signing day so most go play in a wood bat league for that summer then go were the club assigns them to.

Wait, I thought Michael CHoice went right to minor league ball, but absolutely sucked. In fact I think he went hitless, so the clubs sent him to go get some other work before bringing him back to organization ball.

A lot of teams let their players play independent ball or winter ball after they are drafted. They usually encourage it.

Wait, I thought Michael CHoice went right to minor league ball, but absolutely sucked. In fact I think he went hitless, so the clubs sent him to go get some other work before bringing him back to organization ball.

I was about to pm hanks so we could talk about through pms and not "argue" on here. He went to the arizone fall league were he had a total of 7 at bats. Then went to the northwest league for a while where he did a lot better.

Back